Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord reading website chordu.com  (Read 2429 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Chord reading website chordu.com
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »

This came up in my facebook feed today; I think this is really rather neat. This site works out the chords for videos you give it; quite how I'm not at all certain. I'm guessing it looks for the lowest notes it can find in the sound mix. For example:

https://chordu.com/chords-tabs-batiska-played-by-clive-williams-on-melodeon-id_GVGmPsHz1YQ

The chords are broadly right - that's pretty much exactly what I'm playing. It's missed a few (but not all) passing chords and I think I saw a modal E minor chord represented as E major, but other than that, it's pretty amazing really. It works off youtube videos it's indexed, so try it on your favourite Andy Cutting/DTN/Anahata videos and see how you get on!

Chris Brimley

Re: Chord reading website chordu.com
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »

That is pretty amazing, Clive, and I would think it could be pretty useful for box-players learning a tune.  As you say, it wasn't always right, but it's got great potential - I would see it as guiding players to the most appropriate pushes and pulls, when learning a tune, which is to me the most fundamental thing to get right, when learning to play a new tune.  Interesting that it gives you guitar chords as its reference - OK for me and many others, but presumably keyboard players could use a different set of visual clues.  I assume that it has some sort of algorithm that sets how long a given accompaniment is going to be played for - so it doesn't try to match each combination of notes you're playing to separate chords.  (I've sometimes seen scores written out where guitar chords have been added assuming the guitarist plays every note combination, which no one in their right mind would try to do.)

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »

I think I must be missing something, how is that web page actually supposed to work?  When I open the link there's what looks like a play button at the bottom but that doesn't do anything.  And a small window showing the original Youtube video, when you click on the play button there it opens Youtube in a new windows.   So it doesn't seem to be working for me, maybe picky about browsers?
Tony S

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:47:45 PM »

I think I must be missing something, how is that web page actually supposed to work?  When I open the link there's what looks like a play button at the bottom but that doesn't do anything.  And a small window showing the original Youtube video, when you click on the play button there it opens Youtube in a new windows.   So it doesn't seem to be working for me, maybe picky about browsers?
I pasted a youtube address into the search box top right and it gave me the chords. There's another site that gives you the chords live if you paste a  link into it, but I can't remember where.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »

Cheers, so to confirm you just see a static screen with the chords listed?  I thought (hoped) it would have shown the chords in time with hearing the tune.  What I see is first this screen, then a couple of seconds later the second screen, but it's completely static.
Tony S

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »

No, it plays the video and the chords fly by overlaid on the top of it, scrolling right to left in real time. I use Chrome on Windows - if you have an adblocker in use you might need to whitelist something if it's not working for you.

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 03:46:47 PM »

Cheers.  I guess it's a browser problem.  I use Firefox, Chrome won't run on my home machine.  I can try Safari on the work laptop.
Tony S

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »

Like Gandy, I can't work out how to get it to find this YT video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkzqHwUAm8w which is a prerequisite to getting it to extract the chords. It finds the Spiers and Boden video playing their track from Vagabond but whatever I put in that search field in top RH corner - even the id of the YT video I want - that video is never found.

Has anybody worked out how to get it to search YT fully?
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »

As far as I can see you just type your search term into the search box on the main page www.chordu.com and it comes up list a list of results, marked up either with their (principle?) chords presumably for tune it's processed before, or an "Extract Chords" button.   
Tony S
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal