Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery  (Read 942 times)

Jackaspandy

Discovery
« on: August 05, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »

It was too hot to sleep last night so i got up at 5:00 AM. Well i waited until 7:00 and then picked up my box. It was Sunday morning so i tried to play as quietly as i could. I have been trying to get the tune Old man and the old woman up to speed and have not managed it. Until this morning - playing quietly has definitely helped me up the tempo and i think i will employ the same tactic in future.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »

Until this morning - playing quietly has definitely helped me up the tempo and i think i will employ the same tactic in future.

A discovery that benefits everyone!  (:) Perhaps practising early in the morning (as opposed to when tired at night) might also have helped?

What is the tune you are referring to, btw?

Senior member at meoldone.net

www.rogermillington.com

Matthew B

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »

. . . the tune Old man and the old woman . . .

I'm guessing it's "The Grumbling Old Man and the Growling Old Woman".  It shows up quite a lot around my way at contra dances and sessions, but I think it may originally have come from up in your neck of the woods, Stiamh.  ABCs, score and recordings are pretty easy to find.  If I recall there's a very nice Sharon Shanon version on one of her albums, perhaps in a set with "The Mouth of the Tobique".

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:03:39 PM »

I like to practice in the morning. First thing is not that early at the weekend, as I'm up before 6am on workdays!
I find having a good practice early is great, not thinking about anything else, clear head etc. My only problem recently is that our conservatory faces east, and in this summer's hot weather I get too hot too early...... I find mornings the best time.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »

I am an early morning player too!  Not being a great sleeper, I come downstairs at 5 - 6 in the morning and practise away cheerfully for an hour or so until my husband descends, then we start the normal morning ritual of coffee etc.
It is a well-established routine now and means that I have a decent amount of time for practice, even ‘though my day is often busy.
Some folk say that it is good to learn in the evening, but I find the morning works for me - and playing fairly quietly does help me to concentrate on my technique.
Maggie  :|||:
Saltarelle l'elfique 19+2 in G/C - and a wee Hohner Lilliput in D/G

La Creuse, France - the land of calm and of brillant traditional music 🎶

Roger Hare

• Respected Sage
  • Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »

...ABCs, score and recordings are pretty easy to find...
ABC version on the melnet big abc file plus a slightly differently titled version. Also on
Dominique Renaudin's Quebecois page: http://domren.free.fr/ABC.htm, and (I think)  on
one of Alf Warnock's pages. They're all different - I like the Quebecois version myself, but
so far, I can't play it at any time of day...

R
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:19:57 AM by lachenal74693 »
Roger Hare, Urmston, Lancs., U.K. (rjhare at outlook dot com)   Manchester Morris Men   Beech Band
Music Packages (ABC/PDF/MIDI)    Thompson's Compleat Tutor for Fife (c.1765)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.