Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian Garmoshka(not Bayan)  (Read 4971 times)

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
Russian Garmoshka(not Bayan)
« on: December 15, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »

Anyone playing/owning this diatonic/unisonic instrument..sounds easier to learn than the melodeon and the bass appears to offer more then the standard 8 buttons. Also quality /supply of instruments, are they all 'Soviet' type rubbish..??
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Russian Garmoshka(not Bayan)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »

This should prove interesting to those of us who stumble around in various states of ignorance. (Says he who's just bought an organetto in the mistaken belief that it was a one and a half row melodeon!!! Should either have gone to Spec-Savers or asked Theo earlier.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »

Yep !! Who bought a unisonoric concertina instead of an Anglo ?  :|glug :|glug :|glug
Bloody eBay at midnight!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:26:03 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »

Russians seem to manage pretty well, and I believe there is a range of quality. Tutorials in English may be a tad hard to find, though, and I'm not sure that the keys available line up with common keys here.

You can get them on German Ebay and I'm sure other places, they seem to get fairly good prices once you get away from the toy ones. There's a good few videos on YouTube.

But if you're a Vodka drinker and can do the accent, go for it :-)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »

Bloody eBay at midnight!!

You should take those dark glasses off indoors Nick  8)

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:04:27 AM »

I have studied the layout of the Garmon and it is quite intriguing. The unisonoric layout seems to make sense allowing harmony on either row. The free bass buttons would be quite useful.

There are numerous Russian videos on You-Tube that I have enjoyed.

I would love to find one someday. I need to visit garage sales and rummage sales in Russian and Ukrainian neighborhoods.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »

Also quality /supply of instruments, are they all 'Soviet' type rubbish..??

They are only played in Russia really, so won't be made anywhere else. Whether they are all rubbish is debatable. I'm sure some are better than others, but it's possible none are really top quality. If you're Russian and want to play a posh accordion rather than a diatonic folk instrument, you get a 5 row B system Bayan and I'm sure some of those are beautifully made.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »

They are only played in Russia really, so won't be made anywhere else...

Not only in Russia. Lot of Lithuanian players (may be 80-90%) prefer Garmoshkas. May be because they were very cheap in second half of 20th century, and lot of them - low to medium quality. Best of them are called "Чайка" ("Seagul"). You can copy Russian name and search on ebay.de - there always are few for sale. Models without register usually are MM, models with register usually LMM with L switch.
Most popular keys - A, G, C, C#. It is possible to play in dominant and parallel keys, it means with garmoshka in A it's possible to play in A major, E major and in F# minor.

Keyboard layout for garmoshka in C key

videos of Lithuanian player Pranas Ulbinas, he mostly plays German accordions converted to garmoshkas

Not all are low quality. I own one hand made garmoshka with reeds on long plates (like bandoneon) and it seems to be better quality than my best Hohners. Also there are lot of Hohners converted to garmoshkas in Lithuania, and people still are converting them.
May be best quality can be lot of Dino Baffetties - you can search ebay.de with query "Garmoschka Dino Baffetti". I haven't tested any of them because i prefer "diatonic" instruments and DB are too expensive for Lithuanian musicians.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Sebastian

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:44 PM »

They are only played in Russia really, so won't be made anywhere else...
Not only in Russia. Lot of Lithuanian players (may be 80-90%) prefer Garmoshkas. May be because they were very cheap in second half of 20th century,
Na, bet tada Lietuva buvo Sovietų Sąjungos dalis. Taigi tai nenuostabu, ar ne? 

Edit: Oh, I see you have some Peterburg harmonicas. Do you play them? Are they still made today?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:10:23 PM by Sebastian »

triskel

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 02:28:45 AM »

There's a very superior-looking white pearl one just appeared on eBay, with 7 couplers, 3 (Bayan-style) chin switches, and a price tag to match :o: Knopfakkordeon,Ziehharmonika,Akkordeon, Garmoschka Тульская ЗАКАЗНАЯ  Г-24

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 05:35:12 AM »

Edit: Oh, I see you have some Peterburg harmonicas. Do you play them? Are they still made today?

Yes, I do. Last maker of Peterburg harmonicas Mykolas Sipavičius died some years ago. His son is only person that knows how to make them. May be he will start to do later when he retires. At the moment only one man in Lithuania repairs Peterburg harmonicas.

There's a very superior-looking white pearl one just appeared on eBay, with 7 couplers, 3 (Bayan-style) chin switches, and a price tag to match :o: Knopfakkordeon,Ziehharmonika,Akkordeon, Garmoschka Тульская ЗАКАЗНАЯ  Г-24

This is nice looking and may be perfect quality. I feel more brave to try Dino Baffetti in this price range  ;)
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »

Andrius,

thank you for posting the keyboard layout link. I have owned one of these instruments since the 1980s. It belonged to a Polish friend who died in a house fire. I didn't like to play it, every time I moved the bellows I could smell smoke. I did once manage to play a couple of tunes on it, but I never really got the hang of it.

WRT altering German instruments, this video appears to show that process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7yoDRT_fI
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

Yes, in this video young Lithuanian repairer doing conversations very fast and not high quality. But he is really good player, can see on his youtube chanel

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 05:14:45 PM »

P.M sent.. (:)
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »

IMHO this one for sale is not so good as described (I am trying to write considerate as possible). Usually accordions "Belorus" must be heavy and hardly responding. But I know one player, who prefers "Belorus". He things that Hohners are too delicate, so his point of view is really interesting.

diatonix

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »

Also quality /supply of instruments, are they all 'Soviet' type rubbish..??

They are only played in Russia really, so won't be made anywhere else.

The Garmoshka has become quite popular in Norway. So far, I've built three of them... Here is one of them in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzbJKFzMfQg

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 07:25:31 AM »

Quality rebuild of Hohner Ouverture for sale - 4 voices D key. I think it will be sold quickly so few photos from add attached. I know in person man who did it and own first of his rebuilded Hohners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal