- 2 (3.6%)
Jiggery Pokerwork
- 21 (37.5%)
Jenny Lind
- 11 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 09:56:19 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for September 2018  (Read 3313 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for September 2018
« on: August 25, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »

It's festival season, and it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop! Which of the following fine compositions shall we try next month?

Last month's runner up was Chassepain, written by Gilles Chabanet from La Chavannee, etc - demo'ed nice and close up by Mel,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvpIYUD_ww ; french 2/4 bourree commonly played with another of his compositions, Boudemic. Pretty popular in sessions around here. Mel playing full speed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URM5Pw1Xp-k

Jimmy Allen - one of those tunes I can't believe we haven't done yet (or maybe we have, and I've forgotten!). Thank you Lester for your version here: https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com/2013/04/tune-227-jimmy-allen.html

Jiggery Pokerwork - one up in Lester's alphabetical index is this famous tune from John Spiers - https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com/2013/02/tune-182-jiggery-pokerwork.html . Written around the accidentals on a pokerwork, and quite a workout. To play it on a onerow or non-accidental box will take a bit of fudging which could be quite an interesting exercise in itself.

... and in a fit of serendipity that surprises me even more, one up from that in Lester's index is this, Jenny Lind - https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com/2012/10/tune-60-jenny-lind.html ; another of the old time traditional tunes that I can't believe we haven't done yet. A tune that (shudder) changes key between the A and B music.

There you go folks; vote away - voting for multiple tunes is allowed as ever, and you can change your vote if you change your mind - just remove your vote and try again.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for September 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »

Here's a nice video of Jiggery Pokerwork. Sounds challenging, but it's a great tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJhmFqBrOk.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »

Here's a nice video of Jiggery Pokerwork. Sounds challenging, but it's a great tune

It's actually not as bad as it sounds, I learnt it about three years ago but haven't played it for aaaaaages - just tried it and I can mostly still get my fingers round it.  If it wins I might give this one a go as it is a lovely tune. Don't know why I stopped playing it TBH.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:53:05 PM »

Also, despite what I've occasionally read, it's perfectly playable regardless of which way around you've got your accidentals.

You know, I actually would be happy with any winner this month.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »

What happens in case of a draw? Both tunes will be TotM ?

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »

I think it's happened before. Solution might have been a casting vote from Clive, but don't trust my memory.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »

I change my vote if necessary. Of course, last month you fiends made every tune finish with exactly the same number of votes :-)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 10:34:41 PM »

Ps; at the time of writing we have chassepain and jiggery tieing for the lead. Since I've voted for Jiggery all I need to do is remove that vote and Chassepain wins...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 01:06:47 AM »

Ps; at the time of writing we have chassepain and jiggery tieing for the lead. Since I've voted for Jiggery all I need to do is remove that vote and Chassepain wins...

That would be a shame, IMHO. Can't see myself learning Chase the pain Anyway, why shouldn't your vote count?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 07:28:30 AM »

That would be a shame, IMHO. Can't see myself learning Chase the pain Anyway, why shouldn't your vote count?

If Clive counted his vote, we'd still have a tie. For jiggery to win, he'd have to vote twice, which wouldn't look fair by any standards.
And you are allowed to abstain, but you are not allowed to vote twice.

Alternatives: toss a coin (and we have to trust the announced result) or have TWO tunes of the month, for us to choose one or the other or both.

Actually I like the idea of two tunes; arguably we'd get a lot more postings that way.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

Actually I like the idea of two tunes; arguably we'd get a lot more postings that way.

Me too, in fact if it ends in a tie (as it is at the moment) I'm going to do both tunes. Anyone else fancy joining me in that?

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 07:35:58 AM »

Me too Anahata, in fact if it ends in a tie (as it is at the moment) I'm going to do both tunes. Anyone else fancy joining me in that?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »

I vote 22 times for Jimmy Allen! I win :-)

The logic behind my voting system is something I've thought about a few times before my head starts to hurt. Interestingly my vote is different to everyone else; if I don't vote, Chassepain wins. If there's a tie, I get to choose who wins. But I do vote, usually straight away, which means if there's a tie between 2 tunes one of which I voted for, the other one wins. If it's between 2 tunes I didn't vote for, which is unlikely, I get to choose the winner! So usually, my vote counterintuitively is less powerful than you think!

But all that doesn't matter - one of the reasons I do it this way rather than just naming something is I enjoy the randomness of it and playing stuff I wouldn't have normally, which helps expand the repertoire and technique. Otherwise I'd just choose the same old stuff. I would encourage people to give it a go no matter what wins; you might just have fun :-) Likewise those who vote but t don't post, give it a try - it's an interesting exercise that will improve your playing over time.

I'm pretty sure I recorded Chassepain a few years back under a French theme; will do it again though because I'm not sure I could play it comfortably at a session now and would like to get it back up to standard!

All you Jiggery fans - it will be back in next month's poll and will probably win...

Cheers

Clive

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »

Ah. Except the poll hasn't closed yet, and it's no longer a tie! Still time to change your votes folks!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 07:56:26 AM »

Only 2 votes for Jimmy Allen though? It's a great tune! Pah!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 08:09:48 AM »

Me too Anahata, in fact if it ends in a tie (as it is at the moment) I'm going to do both tunes. Anyone else fancy joining me in that?

I'm hoping to be less digitally challenged very soon, so I'll be aiming to polish Jiggery and learn Chassepain - and having a target of recording them both will help me focus...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:01 AM »

But all that doesn't matter - one of the reasons I do it this way rather than just naming something is I enjoy the randomness of it and playing stuff I wouldn't have normally, which helps expand the repertoire and technique.

Absolutely. I've made myself learn all sorts of things for ToTM that I've never have touched otherwise. And it's quite likely I still wouldn't have made a YouTube video. Over 100 videos and 1200 subscribers now - Melnet has a lot to answer for  :o

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »

Plus side now we'll get to arrange either a jig time or a bourree esque version of Jimmy Allen to play in a set with whichever of the now tied again options wins...

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »

Plus side now we'll get to arrange either a jig time or a bourree esque version of Jimmy Allen to play in a set with whichever of the now tied again options wins...

That's a pretty great idea :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal