Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: leaks or other problems?  (Read 943 times)

Reece Johnson

leaks or other problems?
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »

l just bought an old cajun/1 row accordion and when trying to use it, it feels like there is too much effort going into getting it to sound.
when looking at it the bellows from what I can see are fine but i can hear and feel air escaping from different places such as the first note's pallet
and where the 3 pieces connect. so what ive done for the time being is put some tape around the where the pieces conenct. and as for the 1'st pallet
I held it down and tried a different note and found the same thing (the amount of effort put into making the melodeon make a sound)

as well as this the bass and chord buttons in one direction no problem in the other they sound rickety like they are being tapped with another metal object.

I know that with buying a used instrument is always a risk but this one was a bit difficult to say no to lol

thanks for your help

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: leaks or other problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:12:54 PM »

A couple of photos might throw some light on what we are dealing with here...

Reece Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »

oops just realised I put it in the wrong area. sorry bout that.

as for the pictures just tried doing it and it keeps complaining theyre too big so i resize them
same problem. I did also record a video as it think it's personally easy to understand things like
this anyway.

as I am posting this it is uploading should be done in 4 mins
gonna try to figure some more stuff out for myself

thanks!

https://youtu.be/rGm2QGIlhLE

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »

A older box probably needs valves , new wax, and tuning, etc.
Buzz could be loose reed plate or more likely by the sound, the reed is not centered in the plate?
Also valves and new wax would help with responding and so would set up on the reed height for starters.

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Reece Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »

the valves aren't too bad actually which i'm surprised as
even my accordions (and I have a few lol) have some missing or curled etc.
as for the wax; the reeds aren't held in by wax but by screws holding in the plates
individually. and when you say about the buzz being the sound what do you mean
exactly (not to take the mick as your help is appreciated!) as from that I understand
you are saying the buzzing is because it just sounds like that. (as said genuinely not taking
the mick). and forgive me but what do you mean by setup on the reed height? I will be
doing another vid tommorro of the insides.

thanks!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 06:46:39 AM »

Having watched the Youtube video, I can see and hear that there are quite a few problem areas with the box:

Leaky pallets
- Will need re-facing and properly adjusting.

Leaking bellows around the frames
- Will need new gaskets; also checking for other splits and leaks, with proper repairs as needed.

Poor reed response
- Almost certainly all the valves are curled and some perhaps missing.
- Will need total replacement of all the valves. Old leather valves stiffen and harden with age and cannot be rehabilitated. It's false economy to try.
- If there is any significant rust on the reed tongues, this will require cleaning first.
- Re-setting of reed plates on to the reed blocks. It says 'screwed reeds' on the instrument, and I see you have noted that there is no wax. The leather gaskets on the reed chamber edges will probably need replacing with new olovisc gasket.
- The reed tongue gaps will then need adjusting and then retuning.

Vox Humana effect
- This is a patent device consisting of a weighted leather flap which is designed to vibrate with the bellows air pressure. It sets up the rather odd warbling vibrato sound. Will need an overhaul to get it performing as it should. 

Overall, there is a lot of work to do and it needs doing properly with the proper materials. The reed work especially is delicate and needs doing by an experienced repairer/restorer. The instrument looks to be otherwise in quite good condition so it's worth doing, although it will never play like a high-quality box. I would urge you not to try to do the work yourself by improvising with odds and ends of unsuitable materials. The repair work needs to be done using the correct components. Charlie Marshall (CGM Musical Services) should have everything required.

If you really want to begin to learn how to fettle instruments, obtaining an old one to start with is a good idea, but I would not recommend this one as a starter box for learning to do it. Better to approach an experienced repairer/tuner directly (i.e. in person) for advice or to do the work for you.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal