Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for September 2018: Chassepain  (Read 7559 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for September 2018: Chassepain
« on: September 01, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »

This month's winner is Chassepain, written by Gilles Chabanet from La Chavannee, etc - demo'ed nice and close up by Mel,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvpIYUD_ww ; french 2/4 bourree commonly played with another of his compositions, Boudemic. Pretty popular in sessions around here. Mel playing full speed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URM5Pw1Xp-k

Do you know, I could have sworn I'd recorded this before, but apparently not! Excellent - looking forward to it!

Those looking for abc can find it in Richard Robinson's excellent ABC collection here: http://richardrobinson.tunebook.org.uk/static/tunebook.abc

Cheers,

Clive

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Tune of the Month for September 2018: Chassepain
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »

Um..... just clicked on the abc link and get a screen full of unstructured abc stuff.
Is it just me?
Are there any other links around?
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »

ABC copied and pasted from the Richard Robinson link:

X:3879
T: Chassepain
C:Gilles Chabenat
L:1/8
M:2/4
O:France
R:Bourrée À  Deux Temps
F:http://richardrobinson.tunebook.org.uk/Tune/5458
K:G
|:d>A Ad |cB AB |E>F GB |AE FD |
d>A Ad |cB AB |E>F GA |B^c d2 :|
|:BG E(d|d)B G(e|e)^c AB |^cd cA |
BG E(d|d)B G(e|e)^c AF |GA FD :|

(the title might have looked strange; in the above I replaced the accented characters with proper UTF-8 codes, but I didn't have any problems with the ABC generally)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:31:30 PM »

Oh, wonder what I did?
Anyway, never mind, thanks for the tune!
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »

Did you search for the right tune?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »

If I click on the link I get wall to wall abc notation.
It looks like a tune has been 'unravelled' into a line format, so the next tune then follows on in the line and so on.
The top of the page looks like:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% abcm2ps decorations :- % This is an ugly nuisance. % Tunes may depend on predefined decorations, with or without embedded postscript, and I don't want to try and parse these out individually. So the alternative is to include everything that could possibly be relevant % from William Marshall's Scottish Airs, Melodies, Strathspeys, Reels &c (1822) :- %%deco # 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3♯" %%deco b 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3♭" %%deco = 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3♮" %%deco # 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3♯" %%deco b 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3♭" %%deco = 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3♮" % from William Marshall's Scottish Melodies, Reels, Strathspeys volume 2nd (1845) :- %%deco = 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3â™®" %%deco = 3 @ 8 0 0 "@-3,-3â™®" %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%abc-charset utf-8 I:abc-charset utf-8 X:1 T:The Ranting Highlandman. T:The White Cockade M:C| L:1/8 Q:1/2=112 I: :: :: %% G A B c d e ^f g a Z:Jack Campin * www.campin.me.uk * 2009 F:http://www.campin.me.uk/Aird/Aird-v1.abc K:G AG|B2B2 B2AG|B2B2 B2g2|B2B2 B2AG|AGAB A2 GA|B2B2 cBAG|A2B2 g2fg|a2gf g2fe|d2B2 B2:: Bc|d2B2 g2B2|d2d2 d2e2|d2cB g2fg|a2A2 A2 GA|B2B2 cBAG|A2B2 g2fg|a2gf g2fe|d2B2 B2:| X:2 T:Quick Step. 25th Regt. N:bars of quavers are all beamed together in the original M:2/4 L:1/16 Q:1/4=89 I: :: :: %% D ^F G A B c d e f ^f g a Z:Jack Campin * www.campin.me.uk * 2009 F:http://www.campin.me.uk/Aird/Aird

….is what I get!
using Win10 + Edge.

Thank to Anahata for sorting me so now not a problem, just curious as to what's going on!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »

The link is to an ABC tune book, not an individual tune. Save it to disk or load it into your app and you'll get the notes for lots of tunes in a similar style, including Chassepain.

Cheers

Clive

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 04:25:46 PM »

ah ok Clive, thank you for illuminating.... I should have realised that  :|bl
Apologies for a 'seniour' moment
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 04:29:34 PM »

As usual, the answer is likely differing operating system line endings. Seems to look much more regular looking for an ABC file in chrome though, so either use that, or, encourage edge to download the original file (right click Clive's link, save link as) and eg open it in wordpad or another text editor that knows how to support line endings from other platforms, then resave it (hopefully with windows line endings), or, perhaps your ABC editor will support opening it and know what to do directly. From there it's much easier to pick out the tune you want.

Or, copy/paste Anahata's helpful excerpt.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »

my main problem was not realising it was a large abc file, it looked like a jumble!
Others I've downloaded have usually come in a long list of tunes one following the other but each being a discrete tune, as opposed to a long list *following* one another.
Having had Chrome corrupt an operating system yonks back when trying to remove it I vow never to go there again. My hang-up I know..... Anyway, got there in the end thanks to Clive.

Thanks all.... as you were peeps!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 05:41:51 PM »

Here's  a DG one from 2012, which still seems OK.  However, Baudimic, the second tune, is played incorrectly at the end of the A music.
(There's a good reason for the pale video!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0aEI3AO-0
These days I'd syncopate the bass and treble together rather just the treble.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:45:40 PM by Jackhumphreys »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »

my main problem was not realising it was a large abc file, it looked like a jumble!
Others I've downloaded have usually come in a long list of tunes one following the other but each being a discrete tune, as opposed to a long list *following* one another.
Having had Chrome corrupt an operating system yonks back when trying to remove it I vow never to go there again. My hang-up I know..... Anyway, got there in the end thanks to Clive.

Thanks all.... as you were peeps!
Q

Like you realised, not Chrome's fault this time.
There are a lot of tune collections like this out there. I usually open them on-line, clicking the link, Ctrl F for a search box, enter a word or two from the tune title and press enter until I hit the right one then mark and copy the relevant ABC and paste it into my favoured ABC editor.
Sorry if that's sucking eggs.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 03:58:57 PM »

yeah I know....was just having a mental away day ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »

A interesting journey from 'scratch' to here. Slower than some may prefer...

https://youtu.be/vvKpUfus0-M

All the best

Bill

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

https://youtu.be/vvKpUfus0-M

All the best

Bill

Very nicely played. I do love the sound of pokerwork basses.
Greg Smith

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »

As always, I am astounded by what Andy Cutting can do with a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVu1u4SWO1Q
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »

indeed...… a bit good that lad  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 07:38:04 AM »

That's better than a large coffee to wake me up ! Got to be my tune of the day...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »

Bill

I'm always impressed with the speed you get your TOTM postings up Bill and really nicely played too. (:)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »

Is it just my imagination or do 'Euro' tunes tend to get more votes than 'British' ones? It was a close old thing between Chassepain and Jiggery Pokery but in either case it would be good to see postings from all those who vote for the winning tune but I bet we don't see 22 recordings this month!
On a different topic, it would be interesting to have a look at the tune Clive mentioned as being a common pair for Chassepain - Boudemic?  Anyone got the abc?  I'd never come across either tune before but I've had a quick look at Chassepain now and will try and put something up (in which case there should be at least 23) and would quite like to have a look at the other one too.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:30:01 AM by Mcgrooger »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal