Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for September 2018: Chassepain  (Read 7555 times)

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
Re: Tune of the Month for September 2018: Chassepain
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »

I know this is a bit off-topic but I've only got a 'normal' camera but these days they record video as well....as do smartphones which most people have. Good on you Fred for recording a tune you voted for. I'm always surprised by the number of people who vote for a tune but don't post anything. Maybe to watch the likes of me struggle?! ::)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »

Good effort Fred and....Greg - filming is no more difficult than recording. Stick a camera (pref a 21st century model!) in front of you, press record and upload the result to YouTube. If I can do it I'm sure anyone can! I can't quite explain why I prefer YT so much to SC but I do. Good to see at least one more contribution to the TOTM this month. Can't say I'm too enamoured with the tune either - not sure why it garnered so many votes!

My go to camera died a few months ago. I used the one on my tablet last time I videod something, fairly successfully,  but my the tripod and clamp I need to use it got sent to the scrap yard after an accident my car had last month (went for a drive by itself and turned itself on its roof). I am experimenting with my laptop camers, but the video quality is tragic. I don't have a phone that takes videos (the one that went to the scrapyard along with my tripod did. The replacement just takes stills).
I am experimenting with the onboard camera on my laptop but the picture quality is laughable. Doubt if I'll have anything sorted this month. It's likely to be soundcloud or zilch.

[Edit: And no, Chassepain doesn't do it for me. To be honest, I didn't get it at all until I heard Andy Cutting's super version, but that's a bit beyond me. Bit of a shame (from a selfish point of view) as there were two other tunes I would have been keen to have a go at.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:51:40 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »

Sounds like you need a new tripod and clamp for your tablet Greg. However...if you post this tune to SC, I promise I'll have a listen.  (:)

GinDiaTonic

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »

Hands up! I did vote for this tune, which I really love having heard/watched the Andy Cutting version on Youtube many times.
I am posting my progress so far. The main problem is getting the  tune rhythm to work with a bourree rhythm, but maybe that's too much.
I am also trying to get this tune to work on Hurdy Gurdy for which it was originally written.
On that instrument the principal is the same, but the hands are reversed, ie playing the tune with the left whilst turning the wheel with the right playing a different rhythm.

https://youtu.be/RzHotRufrP8

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »

Hi, had a go at this one too, since it's a bit unusual for me! I knew next to nothing about French Bourrée dancing at the start of the month, and honestly I'm not sure if I know any more than that now! I took a most of my inspiration from this recording of a large dance hall worth of happy dancers and a stage covered in squeeze boxes: https://youtu.be/d5gS_bIJmP0?t=172

I do think I ended up adding too much swing into things, but I tried to mimic some of the bass rhythm I could hear from that video. I also ended up omitting the fundamental buttons and only playing chords - my preference was block chords but, at home, and playing a morros box, it felt like I'd have to play louder than I was comfortable with to do so, as it was robbing too much air from the melody reeds. Probably playing too fast too, but, I feel like I can feel a solid beat throughout even though there's

I found that the tune makes a lot of sense to play across the rows, especially to play the less familiar rhythms and have the option of long held chords - on a 2 row 8 bass, there's really only one spot where you (probably) need to reverse the bellows without an accompanying chord change (in DG speak, the D note over an A chord, 2nd note of bar 4 of the B music), and papering over that with 'chord rest chord rest' is a doddle. I watched JeanGenie's video and was actually pretty impressed that she stuck up and down the rows (swapping to inner row for the accidental in the A music).

Anyway, Chassepain on a on a black pearl II: https://youtu.be/HzgJ7KBmMw8

You may also recall from the voting thread the idea of writing Jimmy Allen as a bourrée for theme of the month, I only went so far as to translate some of the rhythms and chord changes from Chassepain as I knew it at the time, and never really ended up revisiting it, or coming up with a preferred solution for D over an Em chord. But, here's the ABC for that anyway:

Code: [Select]
X:1
T: Jimmy Allen
Q:120
M: 2/4
P:ABAB
L: 1/8
%%MIDI gchord c2c2
K:G
P:A
| "G"B>G GA | "Em"BA GA | "Am"c>A AB | "D"cd "G"BG |
"G"G>g fg | "Em"dB Bc | "C"d>d cd | "D"BA "G" G2 :|
P:B
"G"G>g gf | "D"ed cB | "Am"A>a ag | "D"fd ef |
"G"d>g fg | "Em"dB Bc | "C"d>d cd |1 "D"BA "G" G2 :|2 "D" dcBA |

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 08:55:58 AM »

Better late than never - internet took the day off yesterday without permission. I can't say I'm completely happy with the outcome but spending an hour on the tune certainly helped. Fundamentally, is it danceable...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mqC-oTaaK1s

Now to record something for last month's theme

J

Old Bones Dance Band

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »

Not as later as me! Thank you all; new TOTM will arrive shortly. All late contribs can be safely stuck on the end here as ever :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal