Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for September 2018: Tunes with Names  (Read 7854 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Theme of the Month for September 2018: Tunes with Names
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »

Your soundclip sounds great Steve. I hope you continue to teach this tune tune in your deservedly well respected workshops; also lots of useful background information - thanks. I have a copy of Blodau'r Grug - I really must discipline myself to learn some more tunes from it. I only used Richard Robinson's transcription after being directed there by Dave Ball. Would be delighted to hear other players interpretations whatever the source.

Thanks!
I've taught several Welsh tunes workshops at Witney and Mendlesham, and also worked Welsh tunes into other non-specific workshops. The next one will be at the Witney Supersqueeze, 16th - 18th November 2018.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »

Here's my last minute contribution ... a bit rushed, so only one take, flubs and all. And I think I need to slow down - seems rushed.  Gaah!  I still hate to hear recordings of myself. But so many of you say this is a path to improvement, so ...

Frederique Paris: Maria (with Rue de l'Oiseau tacked on).
https://soundcloud.com/fcdiato/frederique-paris-maria-rue-de-loiseau

fc diato

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »

Thanks all - onto the next theme! Late contribs are welcome on the end of this thread as ever!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 01:34:11 AM »

I'm currently travelling and don't have any other options to record anything. So here goes nothing as I'm trying to play the promised song Bruce by the Swedish trio Nordic.

https://vimeo.com/294875502

Have fun watching me play for once instead of just listening. ;)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »

I'm currently travelling and don't have any other options to record anything. So here goes nothing as I'm trying to play the promised song Bruce by the Swedish trio Nordic.

https://vimeo.com/294875502

Have fun watching me play for once instead of just listening. ;)

I think the title is probably "Brus" in Norwegian and refers either to a kind of drink, usually something sparkling or carbonated.  There are also many "gammeldans" (old-time dance tunes) melodies with titles like "Hammarforsens Brus" where it's referring to the "brus" or sparkling spray from a waterfall (fors) at a place...in this case Hammarforsen, Ragunda in the Swedish county/province of Jämtland.  Tune link:

https://youtu.be/xrx-u5XqR1Q

OK, you may now return to the regularly scheduled program...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2018, 09:58:53 PM »

Fred, that was a lovely "light" tune, and very nicely played, too. Top man!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »

Ah, thank you for that link Dick. It's always interesting to see what two 5-row players can achieve, especially when it comes to richness in sound.

However, I'm fairly certain that this song is indeed called Bruce and not Brus. For reference, see my earlier post with links to the original song in a studio and a live version. The band itself is very well worth a listen if you enjoy modern scandinavian music.
Futhermore, I'm currently learning a completely new song as well, it's called Bruce (Recordings: Live and Studio). The problem with it is that it is swedish (wild rhythms), that it is normally played by a trio (Nyckelharpa, Cello, and Mandolin), and that there is no sheet music of the song meaning that I have to learn it by ear. Complicated enough, isn't it? Started yesterday evening, got the basics down already. Will try to post in the next few days. Lots of practice needed still...

Edit: And thank you Winston for your nice comment. (:)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:23:49 PM by Fred »

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 11:42:06 PM »

Ah, thank you for that link Dick. It's always interesting to see what two 5-row players can achieve, especially when it comes to richness in sound.

However, I'm fairly certain that this song is indeed called Bruce and not Brus. For reference, see my earlier post with links to the original song in a studio and a live version. The band itself is very well worth a listen if you enjoy modern scandinavian music.
Futhermore, I'm currently learning a completely new song as well, it's called Bruce (Recordings: Live and Studio). The problem with it is that it is swedish (wild rhythms), that it is normally played by a trio (Nyckelharpa, Cello, and Mandolin), and that there is no sheet music of the song meaning that I have to learn it by ear. Complicated enough, isn't it? Started yesterday evening, got the basics down already. Will try to post in the next few days. Lots of practice needed still...

Edit: And thank you Winston for your nice comment. (:)

OK!!!

There are several groups called Nordic it seems.  From the structure, rhythmic swing and title, another distinct possibility is that the title refers to American old- time fiddler extrodinaire Bruce Molsky who has spent a lot of time jamming, performing and recording with Scandinavian folk musicians. 

Here's a clip of Bruce and Swedish musician Ale Möller together:  https://youtu.be/ufYuLVPgAu0

I think we're onto something here...

DR
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal