Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linnet B/C review  (Read 1730 times)

KLR

Linnet B/C review
« on: September 05, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »

This offering from the Button Box has been discussed a bit here before.  I bought one used for almost half of what they sell for new; the new price is only $595, too.  Details here:  Linnet B/C button accordion from The Button Box

Being made on a shoestring budget in China you get next to nothing in the way of frills, of course; the feet are rubber washers you could likely find in a hardware store, the pallet levers look to be held in place with what looks like hot glue, the bass blocks have a gap in the middle when fastened down, you can't tell which way they're supposed to fit in, either.  The bass strap is tightened with simple velcro.

Now for some more positive aspects:  the bellows isn't entirely airtight, but is more than serviceable.  The keys are nice pearloid jobs.  The thumb groove is very well executed; in general the machining is more than acceptable.  The Cagnoni Super Durall reeds are very easy on the ear, even in the high register.  The scale plays quite well, with only a couple of notes I wish spoke a bit more readily.

I did two mods:  first I taped off the third in the E/A bass, since Emaj isn't exactly a chord for Irish music.  Smoke on the Water covers, now you're talking.   8)  The other, much more important fix I put in was to enlarge the air valve hole a bit, up to 12mm I think.  It was my largest drill bit, whatever it was.  Had it in my drill press with the power off, just bored the hole by hand.  There's still a good deal of room for further expansion if so desired, but going up to is more than enough. 

So - great bang for the buck, if you want an entry level Erica-ish box and are on a budget.  Here's a pic of the bass side:

And here's a bit of a tune on the thing:  Job of Journeywork

Steve C.

• Pokerwork, Erica, Streb, Morse Anglo
Re: Linnet B/C review
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »

My understanding is the target market is the beginner needing a ready to play, in tune box.  As noted, unless you get lucky, one cannot get a used, even Chinese Erica/Pokerwork for that USD, that will be guaranteed to play in tune, ready to go.  (that having been said, a member just picked up a tasty Saratoga, rare as hens' teeth...)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Cam Button

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 02:23:14 AM »

Did you fix the air button wheeze?

KLR

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:08:40 AM »

Yes, you chamfer the edges of the hole so its edges are smooth, and the noise is greatly reduced.  I learned that from the fellow who built my uilleann pipes, it applies to any woodwind instrument's holes as well, and one day he realized it applied to the bellows of the pipes too. 

The air valve was too large and the saddle not close enough tolerance, so the valve was catching on the casework a bit, so I pared it down with a razor a tiny bit.  Even after enlarging the hole there was plenty of room for it.  This was causing the bellows to seem to leak slightly.  These little details are my only quibble, like I said I wish it spoke a bit more readily in spots.  It's great value for the money, and some might be content with it, period.  People like Josephine Marsh and Billy McComiskey make great Irish music on humble old Hohners and this box fits that kind of bill.

What's a Saratoga? 

Steve C.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

Kevin, probably some other members know the story better, but Michael Usui, still around, a great tuner and guy in Saratoga FL, (I think) did one of the first Chinese manufactures with TAM reeds inside.  This must have been close to 10 years ago when you could get one?  They were pretty nice, I thought.  He souped up my Pokerwork (button travel, de-clackify, dry out, remover 3rds, etc.) and I saw one then.  Seemed very much like a nicer Erica, smoother, with a stop. (then again, I was a rank beginner, still am) but they seemed nice.

Steve C.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »

DUH.
I meant "Sarasota".

KLR

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:17:25 AM »

I used to have a souped up Weltmeister from Michael, a friend has a Double Ray B/C he did his stuff to.  Come to think of it, she should try and sell that here...Michael worked on my Corona too, he does top notch work, or did.  Didn't know he had another model besides the Irish Dancemaster though.

Cam Button

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:58:40 AM »

My C#/D Linnet arrived this week. Same wheezy air button. : ) Bright sound on this one. Its a keeper.

Jamie Robertson

• C/F Pokerwork, A/D Venezia, B/C Double Ray DeLuxe,
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

Yes, you chamfer the edges of the hole so its edges are smooth, and the noise is greatly reduced.  I learned that from the fellow who built my uilleann pipes, it applies to any woodwind instrument's holes as well, and one day he realized it applied to the bellows of the pipes too. 

Do you changed the air hole so it's wider toward the inside or the outside of the instrument?

Thanks!
Music is the Best.  Frank Zappa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.