Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of your tuning tables/benches ???  (Read 8689 times)

j.b.c.

• Good talker
Re: Pictures of your tuning tables/benches ???
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »

Inharmonicity is not usually a problem with free reeds.

How is this possible if the tuning of the reed is influenced by its surrounding cabinet?

One would think that the Helmholtz effect of the cabinet shifting the pitch of the reed is the very definition of inharmonicity.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:37:32 PM by j.b.c. »

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »

"When working to Dedic/Viennese tuning, you can't easily tune octaves by ear becausE.."
Yes of course you are right. However, how would a tuner achieve Viennese style tuning, with M- and M+ reeds, before strobe tuners? Maybe start with two M0 reeds and flatten/sharpen equally,  by comparing to a third M0 Reed?

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »

One might suggest that most cabinets don't have walls that are constantly moving in and out and changing their shape. And on the reed block side, the distances are very small compared to the sound wavelength and the air pressure constantly changing, so setting up a resonance might be tricky.
The volume of air in the cabinet is being controlled and varied by the bellows to an extent far in excess of the effect of the sound waves.
Of course it all depends on the wood...
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »

And the other Melnetters were astonished at the pure simplicity of Kimric's tuning bench.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:01:21 AM by Winston Smith »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »

One would think that the Helmholtz effect of the cabinet shifting the pitch of the reed is the very definition of inharmonicity.

Not at all. Inharmonicity means the harmonics are not exact integer multiples of the the fundamental, and effects that shift the pitch of the reed shift all the harmonics in step with the fundamental. In pianos, inharmonicity is caused by end effects: the effective length of the string is not the physical length, and the effective length for the second harmonic, for example, is not exactly half the effective length for the fundamental.

The real reason why free reed instruments don't have this problem is that the sound that you normally hear comes from the airflow being chopped by the reed alternately obscuring and opening the slot. The harmonics of the sound that you hear are caused by the chopping of the airflow not being sinusoidal (presumably more like a soft edged  square wave) and they are exactly in step with the fundamental.

If you press the reed block to your ears and ping a reed, you will hear the harmonics of the reed's vibration itself, and there's a good chance that they will not be in tune with the fundamental, but those out-of-tune harmonics have very little influence on the chopped-air waveform that you hear normally.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

robotmay

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »

Currently I'm tuning at my desk entirely inside the melodeon, which is not exactly a very time-efficient way of doing it, although whilst I've been learning it has been rather good to do the entire process in the simplest way possible. Hoping to eventually have a space where I can set something up, and I'd love to experiment with various electronic doodads, mostly because I'm a programmer and that just sounds like even more fun ;D

Here is a video I published in 2014 of my ‘alien’ tuning table (well before the AKKO table was introduced I believe).
https://youtu.be/un-AvLaCenU

My YouTube channel showing some of the hundreds of button accordions and concertinas I've tuned using it:
https://www.youtube.com/user/buttonboxbellinger/videos

It can be used with single reedplate fixtures, reedblocks (single, double or triad chords) or full in-situ (without bellows).

I was thinking about this sort of system just a few weeks ago, and this looks really tidy. I also love the look of that gimball-desk-vice you've got on your worktop. I have a small vice like that but I can't adjust the angle; that thing looks really handy!

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

I was thinking about this sort of system just a few weeks ago, and this looks really tidy. I also love the look of that gimball-desk-vice you've got on your worktop. I have a small vice like that but I can't adjust the angle; that thing looks really handy!

I have another swivel vise for waxing. I lined some angle aluminum with felt and mounted it to a low profile version of the vise.  This allows 360 rotation and more than +/- 50 degrees of tilt so I can position the reedblock any way I like while waxing the reedplates. Usually I tack-wax all reedplates in place with a little dab top and bottom. I then check all reeds (blow & suck) on my air table to make sure all reeds are sounding and all valves (inner and outer) are functioning before going back and final waxing. I'm attaching a photo from the top. You can see the tack-wax dab on the top of the reedplates. This photo looks like a staged photo for my website since the two open cavities still have the old wax not scraped off... not my normal procedure.

Scott
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2018, 03:38:11 AM »

Here is my next generation waxing jig showing the universal base. Also visible are my wax sticks (I made a split mold for casting) waxing iron and high velocity German fume extraction so I don't breathe the nasty wax fumes.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »

Scott, is that a slice of Salami to the left in the top picture ?  8)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »

I’m really old school when it comes to waxing. I’ve got one of Carini's wax pots and a very long spoon like the one Charlie sells. I hold the block so I can move it around and cause the wax to flow. And a very bright light so I can see what I’m doing (:)  I don’t generally have salami on the bench. Biscuits have been known to be present sometimes.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »

Serious thread drift here, but I'm sure that members would be interested to see our favourite bookbinder taking his first driving lesson, he's hardly changed, has he?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »

Scott, is that a slice of Salami to the left in the top picture ?  8)

Looks like a pan scourer to me. ;)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Salami, pan scouters, driving lessons?  This topic has run off the road!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal