Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One-row playing in Scandinavia  (Read 2863 times)

mselic

One-row playing in Scandinavia
« on: July 08, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »

I’ve heard that there is a tradition of one-row playing in several Scandinavian countries, and I’d love to hear examples of it. I have a CD by a Danish group called Gangspil, but I haven’t been able to find more of the same. I’m aware of a YouTube video of one of Bergflodt’s one-rows being played, but I can’t find anything else like that either.  I do recall seeing videos of a one-row player (possibly Swiss?) who played vintage-looking, very compact one-rows; they weren’t much bigger than the bellows! I can’t remember if those videos were posted here or if I came across them independently, but I can’t find them now anyhow. Any ideas or suggestions on any of the above? Thanks!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Klarskov

Re: One-row playing in Scandinavia
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »

I don't know of any Swiss one-row players, but I do know a bit about the Danish tradition.

Unfortunately, in Denmark there isn't a lot of recordings made of the old style of dance music played on the diatonic accordion. A lot of collectors seemed to favour fiddle playing and singing, and generally the diatonic accordion was replaced by the continental chromatic button accordion pretty early on. Anyway, a lot of the well known traditional accordion players started out on a one- or two-row, but switched to a 'real' accordion as soon as they could.

That being said, we have a few good examples of traditional players from some far-away regions of Jutland and some islands (Læsø, Sejrø), with a lot of real punchy and beautiful tunes. Players like Jens Karl Førby, Levy Vilsen and Gyda Hougaard played Hohners of various sorts, usually in c/f and mainly played one-row style on the c-row.

So we don't really have a lot of examples of tunes played on a one-row, but a lot of the repertoire fits the instrument. I know Sonnich Lydom from Gangspil plays some of the Førby repertoire on his one-row.

As for the folk music scene today, Denmark is very much a PA/CBA-country. Not many diatonic players around, but a few good ones. Not many dedicated one-row players, though. I can only think of Sonnich, and maybe Lars Hansen, who is also a member here. I never got around to learn it properly myself either... ;)

Hope that shed a bit of light on part of your question. Gave me an opportunity to ramble on a bit about my favourite obsession, anyway  ;D 

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »

The last four tracks of Rannveig Djønne's CD Spelferd Heim are given over to recordings of an older Norwegian one-row player or two. I'll dig out the record which I have (somewhere) and provide more info. if I can. Rannveig was a member here briefly, which is how I found out about the above CD, which has some very beautiful music on it. She plays mainly A/D if I recall correctly.

triskel

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »

I’ve heard that there is a tradition of one-row playing in several Scandinavian countries, and I’d love to hear examples of it.

Jon Faukstad plays a number of tracks of his Norske Drag album on an old single-row that looks very much like a Gessner, like these  - Grårisingen, Golingsjenta, Basken. But most of the album is played on a classical 5-row.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:35:03 PM »

Try Jan Anders Andersson.  Click on his name for channel. He plays two-row and 3-row boxes too, but you'll find some more 1-row examples in there. Nice player, I like his style.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »

Ah, yes the Bicycle Pump Polka player, he's very good!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 11:41:59 PM »

Check out Mats Eden/Oskar Andersson.  One row tradition from around Arvika in western Värmland.
Will add links as I can...slowly as I'm out of range of the internet for much of the summer.

Mats and Leif Stinnerbom used one row a good bit in the early recordings of "Groupa" in the early '80's.
For Norway check out Jon Faukstad and Embrik Bergaplass.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Matthew B

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:40:30 AM »

This topic has cropped up before.  There's quite a bit in this thread: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,7343.20.html.  In an earlier discussion I've mentioned Embrik Bergaplass of Norway.  An entire album of his music is now on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSiUTXd8ytg.  Listening again I find his more complex tunes as alien, beautiful, and compelling as the recent posts by Invadm/Anahata.  I didn't imagine our instrument could do that!  I had only previously heard Embrik's more complex (to me) tunes.  It's rather comforting to hear him play a bit of "oom-pah" stuff as well: it provides me a musical datum. 

Rannveig Djønne, mentioned by Stiamh, has posted here previously.  Perhaps she'll pitch in with more insights.   
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

mselic

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:58:31 AM »

Thanks, everyone - great stuff! My favourite so far is this, Mats Eden:

https://youtu.be/FTA8QnyeUSc

This is exactly the sound I’m interested in.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:27:08 PM »

Mselic, great video.  I cannot see the youtube metadata for some reason.  What is the approximate date of this?  Thanks.  Steve.  (also thanks for the chill!  it is in the mid to high 90's here, around 35 to you folks...)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

mselic

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »

Mselic, great video.  I cannot see the youtube metadata for some reason.  What is the approximate date of this?  Thanks.  Steve.  (also thanks for the chill!  it is in the mid to high 90's here, around 35 to you folks...)

The video was produced in 1980.

It’s also been 35 degrees C (and higher) lately here in Quebec as well...;)

Simon W

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »

Thanks, everyone - great stuff! My favourite so far is this, Mats Eden:

https://youtu.be/FTA8QnyeUSc

This is exactly the sound I’m interested in.

There's a great CD by Mats Eden called Avtryck which is mostly one row stuff in a variety of keys with some fiddle tunes as well
There's also this Norwegian player http://www.ulfarne.no/ who has a CD of one row tunes and Markku Lepisto has released at least one CD of Finnish one row stuff

Simon W

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »

If you're willing to consider Finland in this, you should listen to some of Markku Lepisto's stuff, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-h8c0O4Emc

mselic

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »

If you're willing to consider Finland in this, you should listen to some of Markku Lepisto's stuff, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-h8c0O4Emc

Thanks. To my ear, it seems there are more similarities between the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian styles than wth the Finnish stuff, which is something of a departure from that sound. I suppose in that way it’s much like the languages!

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »

Ah, yes the Bicycle Pump Polka player, he's very good!

Very personable, as well, likes to chat about accordions and music. A few years back he sold me a CD with some of his playing, and a lot of great Swedish fiddle tunes.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 11:20:41 PM »

Mats Eden has just uploaded a bunch of videos from this year, some of which feature Sven Ljungberg on both one- and two-row diatonics.  Here's a link to get you started:

https://youtu.be/LvKpGNnsd5w

Music is from western Värmland.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

baz

• New Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »

(possibly Swiss?) who played vintage-looking, very compact one-rows; they weren’t much bigger than the bellows!

Although not scandinavian, the Swiss accordion tradition started with a one-row, nicknamed 'Langnauerli' after Langnau im Emmental (where the cheese comes from). From there the accordion evolved into the Schwyzerörgeli (2 row + acc / unisonic bass, named after the canton of Schwyz).

The Langnauerli are not built anymore. They had a unique feature called "Schnarchlibass" (snoring bass) which is an extra low bass with the button on the back next to the air button.

Werner Aeschbacher and his son, Thomas, are two players who sometimes play the original ~150 year old instruments.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:42:23 PM by baz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal