Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I learn the bandoneon or the melodeon?  (Read 5175 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Should I learn the bandoneon or the melodeon?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »

My observation, as a non-player of Bandoneon.   

Bandoneon is an instrument of passionate music that requires the player to have a passion for the music and the for instrument, and the instrument requires dedication to learn.   So if  Bandoneon is the instrument for you, you would not have to ask for advice, you would do it regardless of the consequences.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »

Well, ok Theo, but still makes an interesting topic for discussion in my, not necessarily humble, opinion.

Rob
Castagnari Clovis D/G. Irish Conc Co 'Eiru' C/G. Wheatstone Aeola 48b English Treble. Weltmeister Rubin 60 Bass P. Accordion.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »

Agreed, Bbut you seem to be suggesting I'm trying to shut down discussion?? 

Not at all, just adding a fresh take on the subject
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thomas Horwath

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »

Well, I ended up buying the bandoneon my friend was offering. Decent chance I will buy a DBA as well. The life of a bachelor engineer...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:27:57 PM by Thomas Horwath »

Thomas Horwath

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »

You provide a link at the end of your last post, saying ‘I want an instrument that will produce this kind of sound’. I think on this particular track, Stéphane is playing an instrument tuned D/G but an octave lower than what is played by many on this site. Do you really want this?
Ah, no, I hadn't noticed that. I think I'd want standard tuning up an octave.

Also, it's interesting that you emphasize the importance of a Gsharp accidental, since it seems like many performers of Stephane's music use just 2-row 8-bass instruments. What are some tunes that use the Gsharp?

Indeed, there's much to be said for Darwin from Marc Serafini.  ;)

R
Oh, that one looks interesting. The idea of a unisonoric left hand is definitely appealing. Thanks.

Ah, Por Una Cabeza... so, with the key modulation, I believe that this tune modulates not so much from n major to n + 3 flats major, but, from the major to the minor of the same tonic, so, eg G major to G minor.
Right you are! You all are helping me come around to the idea that DBAs are capable of playing in more chords than the ones explicitly defined for the left hand.

Thomas Horwath

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

Again, I appreciate the PA suggestion! While it ostensibly makes a lot of sense, I guess I just ain't *feeling* that instrument, if you catch my drift. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, or maybe I've recognized DBA and bando as niches in my community that no one has filled, but I *think* I'll enjoy them a lot more. I'm pretty young - 26 years old - so I should have time to try to learn these more abstracted instruments. And in the meantime, I can continue using piano as my performance instrument.

arty

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »

You provide a link at the end of your last post, saying ‘I want an instrument that will produce this kind of sound’. I think on this particular track, Stéphane is playing an instrument tuned D/G but an octave lower than what is played by many on this site. Do you really want this?
Ah, no, I hadn't noticed that. I think I'd want standard tuning up an octave.

Also, it's interesting that you emphasize the importance of a Gsharp accidental, since it seems like many performers of Stephane's music use just 2-row 8-bass instruments. What are some tunes that use the Gsharp?

Yes, that’s right Thomas....2 row 8 bass Instruments are available (dependent on the manufacturer), with a choice of low notes OR accidentals. These are on the first button of each row, i.e. the buttons nearest your chin. Stéphane Delicq played, almost exclusively, 2 row 8 bass instruments. It is essential, if you are going to play his tunes, that you have an instrument with accidentals. The use of the G# is the most common and, from my experience, is always ‘on the push’. I say this is important because, when I bought my brand new Castagnari Laura G/C, it came with the G# ‘on the pull’, which was really annoying and I had to get it changed. If I had known, I would have specified it when I ordered it. Many of his tunes require the accidentals, so make sure you get an instrument with them or you will be very limited and disappointed when you find out that you can’t play them.
Tunes that I play that need the G# and other accidentals are: Les Novis, La Discrete, Jamais Deux Sans Toi, Crédanse, Estrellas, Lucifer Waltz...and there will be a lot more that I don’t play yet!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »

Congratulations on acquiring that instrument.  Make it sing  (:)

deltasalmon

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 10:14:56 PM »

[...]
[...]

It's common for 2-row 8-bass melodeons to have accidental's at the "chin" end of the keyboard. I'm not sure if the layout here is standard but it is an easy job to turn the reeds around in order to turn the pull G# into a push G#, assuming you're okay with having a pull Bb that is.

EDIT: I Just saw arty posted the same thing. I suppose that's what I get for skipping the quotes.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:04:37 AM by deltasalmon »
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 01:51:23 AM »

Yes, that’s right Thomas....2 row 8 bass Instruments are available (dependent on the manufacturer), with a choice of low notes OR accidentals. These are on the first button of each row, i.e. the buttons nearest your chin. Stéphane Delicq played, almost exclusively, 2 row 8 bass instruments. It is essential, if you are going to play his tunes, that you have an instrument with accidentals. The use of the G# is the most common and, from my experience, is always ‘on the push’. I say this is important because, when I bought my brand new Castagnari Laura G/C, it came with the G# ‘on the pull’, which was really annoying and I had to get it changed. If I had known, I would have specified it when I ordered it.

It's a simple job to do yourself. All you need is a soldering iron and a morsel of courage.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thomas Horwath

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »

Ah, I had thought the 2 rows were always the same. Good to know they can have accidentals.

Also, I will definitely try to acquire the Stephane Delicq songbook. Thanks for the heads up!

Because you all have been with me so far, I'll share some photos of my purchase:

I paid 5000 USD for this 1924 Alfred Arnold Premier 142-voice bandoneon from a friend here in Cincinnati. It has the original woodwork and pearl inlay. The bellows and some of the mechanics have been restored. A professional bando player who advised me on the purchase assured me the instrument is in great condition and needs only tuning and minor repairs.

To me, the instrument's sound is like solid gold.

Shockingly, I actually think this was a good price for this instrument. Brand new bandoneons, for reference, tend to cost at least 5000 to 8000 euros (or 5800 to 9300 USD). This old Alfred Arnold I bought is cheaper, still functions great as an everyday instrument, and is practically a museum piece to boot.

I'm still dumbfounded by the fact I spent this much money on what is essentially a luxury purchase, but I'm very excited. Every time I look over at the case containing the instrument, it puts a smile on my face.

Of course, every time I look at it, I am also reminded that the reason it was for sale was that the previous owner tried to learn it, but failed and gave up. And who knows how many other victims the instrument has claimed in its 94-year history? I will always keep that in mind in case I ever make the mistake of thinking the instrument will be easy to learn.

Thanks again to everyone who has commented on this thread.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »

Any instrument is only worth what someone will pay for it (if it's being sold, that is) and I hope that you get your $5000 worth of pleasure out of this one. If you relish a challenge, then I'm convinced that you've found it, good luck and happy playing.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 07:02:44 PM »

To me, the instrument's sound is like solid gold.

Wow, that's really neat! I hope that it treats you well: sometimes in situations like this, you kind of already know your answer (at least, the one your heart wants to make) to a question before you start - I've certainly been there, but, it is always useful to talk it through with others.

As I'm sure you know, it's not always about 'succeeding', and while there may be a line of people before you who were unable to master it, it seems clear from the well kept state of the instrument that every single one of them has loved it. Best of luck with it!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal