Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hello everyone  (Read 1709 times)

fen

hello everyone
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:20:09 PM »

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself as a new member. I've been playing for about three years and have benefited enormously from the knowledge and generosity of people here, so thought it about time I joined to try and repay some of that generosity. After three years I'm still getting to grips with the boxes - DG and GC - but have been playing other instruments for many years. I have an interest in French music but with the exception of some Youtube videos have found it difficult to access new tunes - more research is needed...Anyway, looking forward to participating in the future

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »

Welcome, fen!
I'm sure you're now in the right place to be advised about French tunes. They seem to be increasingly popular with the members on here, if the general chatter is anything to go by. Someone stricken with the same love will be along any minute, I suspect.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself as a new member. I've been playing for about three years and have benefited enormously from the knowledge and generosity of people here, so thought it about time I joined to try and repay some of that generosity. After three years I'm still getting to grips with the boxes - DG and GC - but have been playing other instruments for many years. I have an interest in French music but with the exception of some Youtube videos have found it difficult to access new tunes - more research is needed...Anyway, looking forward to participating in the future
Welcome fen!
A good source of French and Breton tunes with tablature for G/C melodeon is Bernard Loffet's website here (scroll down for tunes).
Sadly, Bernard died a few months ago, but his website is still going and his instruments are still being made at his workshop.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Roger Howard

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »

Welcome from the Fens, fen!

If you have a look at the recent topic about learning resource for French tunes, you'll find some useful links to tunes as well as methods.   :||:

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

arty

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »

I have an interest in French music but with the exception of some Youtube videos have found it difficult to access new tunes

To satisfy your interest in French music, I suggest you look to France for your help and inspiration. There are some very busy and extremely helpful Facebook groups that surely will help you:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/diatodeb/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/accordeondiatonique/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272694815851/

If you don't speak French, don't worry, you can use Google translate or, simply write in English. There are English speaking people on all those sites. The first two links I have given you have files, (fichiers), with a large amount of sheet music /tablatures for you to draw from. There is a lot of enthusiasm and support on those sites - I use them daily and I can honestly say that I have learned a huge amount from them.
Good luck!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »

"French music" covers a multitude of styles. Which style appeals to you? Resources for traditional Auvergne dance music will be very different to trendy modern stuff!

fen

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »

Thanks everyone for your welcome and suggestions, it looks like my homework’s sorted for the next year or so. Having had a quick read the learning resources thread looks perfect. So too the suggestion to try the French sites - I’ve always shied away from Facebook but maybe I should bite the bullet.

I was aware of Bernard Loffet’s site, having bought a box from him a couple of years ago, but had no idea just how much material is on there. I read music painfully slowly and have never used tablature before, so maybe I should start with the mp3’s?

Your point about diversity is well taken Tufty, I seem to be leaning towards Stephane Delicq at the moment, though I’ve also been listening to Cyrille Brotto (well maybe in another life...)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 02:14:15 AM »

...I read music painfully slowly and have never used tablature before, ...
Basically, the tablature tells you which buttons to press and whether to pull or push the bellows.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

fen

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:19:55 PM »

I tried the tablature, which worked very well, though with a tune I knew well but couldn't play. I also tried it with a tune I didn't know at all and in the absence of being able to read the music quickly enough, it was of no help. But a partial success nonetheless, so thanks for the heads-up
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal