Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to put on the flip side of a low G  (Read 4836 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: What to put on the flip side of a low G
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »

I have very small hands, and with a 4th button start have got used to getting to the chin end accidentals.
I approach a new tune with the thought that I need to arrange my fingering to enable me to reach the top buttons. I use my first finger and usually with a flick of the wrist I'm there.
With no box available, I would think a 5th button start is a loooong stretch, possibly a stretch too far for me...... but longer fingers/larger hands should be ok. Maybe. It's surprising that with practice what you can do.
Though if you don't use the top accidentals does that matter?
Q

What George says about thumbs works for me. Feels a bit odd if you're not used to it but I think that applies to everything melodeonish.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »

'
...On the other hand, if the clamp is the more recent 'claw and screw' type, you should be OK regarding clearance.

Thanks Steve. That's a key bit of information. If I understand you right I should be ok. It's a five year old Chinese pokerwork.

And your right. I am going to do this (:)
I haven't heard any objections serious enough to put me off. Gena makes some good points but I don't think they will create difficulties for me.

The only thing that might be an issue is that I keep having further ideas. But I'll contain myself for now and move into the realisation phase. Otherwise it stays in the realm of what might have been.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »

I find if I use my thumb I de-stabilise the box and I need it to be firm. I use my thumb along the fingerboard edge/grove and find it keeps it held firmly. I did try using my thumb for the accidentals when first using them but it all got wobbly  :o so have gone back to the grove and streeeetched my fingers! We are all different and if it works for you then fine.

Anyway, looks like you've made your decision and good for you.
I find airing my thoughts and canvassing opinions often a good exercise. Not only do I have to think clearly about my ideas in order to explain it, but others can lob in ideas too.
Glad you've reached a decision.
Good luck with the planned surgery  ;)
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »

I find if I use my thumb I de-stabilise the box and I need it to be firm. I use my thumb along the fingerboard edge/grove and find it keeps it held firmly. I did try using my thumb for the accidentals when first using them but it all got wobbly  :o so have gone back to the grove and streeeetched my fingers! We are all different and if it works for you then fine.

Anyway, looks like you've made your decision and good for you.
I find airing my thoughts and canvassing opinions often a good exercise. Not only do I have to think clearly about my ideas in order to explain it, but others can lob in ideas too.
Glad you've reached a decision.
Good luck with the planned surgery  ;)
cheers
Q

Thank you Quentin.

This post has been a great way of thinking things through. You're right about having to clarify your thoughts when explaining and justifying to others.
I have worked my way through to a solution that was something of a surprise to me. McGs comment on it being ok to have different layouts on different boxes was key. The parallel to that is you can't have every note on every box and you don't need to. Once I properly assimilated  that it made planning a lot easier.

So far as the thumb thing goes, I found it was something I had to learn to do. It does require a temporary repositioning of your hand and felt very unstable at first but it feels natural now. I think it's a skill worth working on.
Greg Smith

george garside

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »

When using my thumb for the chin end accidentals I lift my hand clear of the keyboard i.e so it is not providing any support for the box in any way.   This works very well for me but can only be done if using two well adjusted shoulder straps so the keyboard is always where you expect it to be in relation to your person!.   When using my thumb on the edge of the keyboard or in the groove it acts as a  reference point for the fingers but is never shoved hard enough to provide any upprt for the box.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »

The reality of if others do or don't use them in a capacity that seems to sufficiently justify their existence shouldn't really affect your choices though! If you're not using it already I'm pretty sure that for a morris box you're not going to miss it.

Thanks Gena. Good advice.
I get what you mean, about 3 about 3 and Weasel's now. I do like to do little flourishes like this at the end of a dance but mine tend to follow a different pattern. To be honest, when you have half a dozen people all doing their rounding off bits, a harmony note, or two is drowned out anyway. I tried this this on my box and I found the G5 was so much louder than the G6 the high note was drowned out anyway. Maybe that's the fault of my old ears, though.
I don't have an LMM box but I suspect the situation might be different on that. The L note would change things a lot.

Bye the bye, I had a strange dream last night (no, not that sort) I dreamed I was playing Weasel's Revenge. Nothing very unusual about that. The strange part was that I was trying to decide whether I liked it better in 5/3 or 7/4. Over and over and over again. I didn't even know 5/3 existed.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »

Greg and George:
Having abandoned the idea of using my thumb when initially using accidentals, I've got used to turning my wrist and using my first finger. It really works for me so that's what I'll continue to do.
As ever with melodeons, I choose one way, you choose the other and we'll still play the same tune in a session  (:)
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal