Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Naragonia  (Read 3007 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Naragonia
« on: June 09, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »

Just when I'd been asked for ideas for my next birthday present (and asking for a new melodeon might be risky!) I see that Naragonia are doing three gigs in mid September over here -Cirencester, London, and Sheffield. Their Website doesn't give much info on venues...anyone know more ?

J
Old Bones Dance Band

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
Re: Naragonia
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »

The London one is at Cecil Sharp House: https://www.cecilsharphouse.org/component/content/article/22-csh-site/csh-events/5409-grand-bal-with-naragonia

The Cirencester one is at the Sundial Theatre: http://mister.red/dance/cirencester.htm

I'm not sure about the Sheffield one.

(NB they'll also be over in the UK next February for this event: http://emade.org.uk/winterschool.php)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »

...and, of course, Toon and Pascale will both be tutoring at Melodeons in Wensleydale on 10-12 May 2018.

Does anybody have details of their Sheffield gig?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:41:13 PM »

Does anybody have details of their Sheffield gig?

Date: Sunday 16th September 2018
Venue: Sheffield Eurosession at the Shakespeares pub on Gibraltar Street, Sheffield S3 8UB
Time: 8 pm, I think.

Some information here but not a lot!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Julian S

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »

Excellent - thanks for the info. Will be aiming to get to one of their gigs (but which ?) And as for Wensleydale next Spring- could always have a bal impromptu in the carpark ! ;D

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »

Thanks, Steve, for info about the Sheffield gig? How does one order tickets?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

Thanks, Steve, for info about the Sheffield gig? How does one order tickets?
Not sure. Check the link (and related pages) on my previous post.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »

Cecil Sharp House was excellent, if it weren’t for work tomorrow I’d be thinking of heading up to Sheffield tonight!

I’m sure you’ll all have a great time :-)

Julian S

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »

Cecil Sharp House was excellent, if it weren’t for work tomorrow I’d be thinking of heading up to Sheffield tonight!

I’m sure you’ll all have a great time :-)

Ditto ! But we've got a Leveret gig to go to this evening  ;D

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »

Naragonia were brilliant at Sheffield yesterday. Some wires had got crossed about whether the workshop would be for D/G or G/C boxes, but this didn't phase Pascale one bit. She taught two workshops simultaneously, one in E minor and the other in A minor and both to a very high standard. She used the same tune to make clear the differences between playing waltzes, mazurkas and 3x bourrées and had some imaginative ideas about bass accompaniments to emphasise the characteristics of each type of dance.

If you want to experience some more Naragonia magic, Toon and Pascale will both be tutoring at Melodeons in Wensleydale on the weekend of 10-12 May 2019 along with Saul Rose and Brian Peters. Bookings will open on 1 November.

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »

She used the same tune to make clear the differences between playing waltzes, mazurkas and 3x bourrées and had some imaginative ideas about bass accompaniments to emphasise the characteristics of each type of dance.
Something I've wanted to get to grips with... were there any "quick wins"/major takeaways that can be readily passed on?

If you want to experience some more Naragonia magic, Toon and Pascale will both be tutoring at Melodeons in Wensleydale on the weekend of 10-12 May 2019 along with Saul Rose and Brian Peters. Bookings will open on 1 November.[/color]
I'd love to, but probably won't know until mid-April whether I'd be available to go - and suspect their workshops may be booked out by then!

Julian S

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »

I very much enjoyed Pascale's workshop during the Blowza weekend at Halsway, where she used the same technique with a tune called The Milking Stool. Dunno about quick wins though !
Listening to them on Saturday emphasised to me how learning the notes of their tunes is only one step of the journey - getting the rhythm,phrasing, dynamics and particularly the 'gaps' between the notes, and so on is the problem for me. Not certain I have enough years left ! But m.at wensleydale will be great...

J
Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal