Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Serenellini Lady for Morris Band  (Read 3624 times)

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Serenellini Lady for Morris Band
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »

I'm looking for thoughts about using a Lady for Morris. This box seems to be light and with nice large buttons. On the other hand, are the bases too quiet, is the sound too pretty and is it sufficiently robust?

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Serenellini Lady for Morris Band
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »

I'm sure Morris will be delighted, Nigel. But look out for the Rozzers, I'm almost sure that using Ladies like that is illegal!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »

You are so naughty, Winston.  I was trying to be PC, honest Guv.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »

I was considering one and had it demonstrated as being effective for Morris, although it was within the walls of a shop, and the chap playing it was being pretty aggressive with it. I wasn't entirely convinced, and I didn't think I was able to get the same out of it when I tried it myself, though.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »

I'm looking for thoughts about using a Lady for Morris. This box seems to be light and with nice large buttons. On the other hand, are the bases too quiet, is the sound too pretty and is it sufficiently robust?

You say for use in a Morris "Band" . if you are likely to be playing with several other instruments, does any one of them have to be ultra loud ?? surely the total volume is what the audience will hear rather than any one instrument. I don't claim to be an expert of the dynamics of a Morris "Band",   in my days of playing for Morris ( Cotswold ) its was almost invariably danced to a single musician!! but I'm sure the Serenallini will sound fine.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »

With any Italian box the tuning is likely to be in the “swing” range.  For better audibility you might want to consider having the tremolo increased.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »

I took my three voice Hohner (MMM) to band practice now that I an getting to be a bit more proficient - I can now hear what I am playing with a PA  another melodeon and an amplified string bass - but of course so can other people....
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

george garside

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 07:50:02 PM »

the 'need' for loud boxes ( or ?boxes played loudly)for morris  seems to imply that morris dancers are hard of hearing.   Or is it because everybody in the 'band' is playing flat out so none can hear their own instrument?

????

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »

the 'need' for loud boxes ( or ?boxes played loudly)for morris  seems to imply that morris dancers are hard of hearing.   Or is it because everybody in the 'band' is playing flat out so none can hear their own instrument?

????

george

Morris dancers probably aren't that hard of hearing, but it can be difficult for them to hear quiter instruments on an out in a busy place. Especially if they end up positioned upwind.  Also, you're right, it can be hard for musicians to hear what the lead musician is doing over the noise they are, quite rightly, making, themselves. Especially when everyone is playing loudly in a big band. It is surprisingly easy to end up with conflicting tempos if you don't plan to prevent it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »

the musicians should always position themselves upwind from the dancers. For many years I used a castagnari lilly ( treble only) as sole musician for a rapper side  - the dancers  could hear it perfectly well.  Same goes for a single pokerwork for NW morris.  ( treble and bass) but not played flat out by any means.  Can't speak for Cotswold as  my experience thereof is very limited.

george

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 11:19:53 PM »

the musicians should always position themselves upwind from the dancers. For many years I used a castagnari lilly ( treble only) as sole musician for a rapper side  - the dancers  could hear it perfectly well.  Same goes for a single pokerwork for NW morris.  ( treble and bass) but not played flat out by any means.  Can't speak for Cotswold as  my experience thereof is very limited.

george

That's one solution, George. It's not the only one. Horses for courses.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »

Also, you're right, it can be hard for musicians to hear what the lead musician is doing over the noise they are, quite rightly, making, themselves. Especially when everyone is playing loudly in a big band. It is surprisingly easy to end up with conflicting tempos if you don't plan to prevent it.

I disagree with the -noise they are, quite rightly, making, themselves' bit, if they are playing so loudly they can't hear the lead musician they are playing too loudly. If you are ending up with conflicting tempos' there is a real problem with people just being players and not members of a band.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:13:38 AM by Lester »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »

disagree with the -noise they are, quite rightly, making, themselves' bit, if they are playing so loudly they can't hear the lead musician they are playing too loudly. If you are ending up with conflicting tempos there is a real problem with people just being players and not members of a band.

I completely agree with Lester.

All the musicians should be (a) listening to each other and (b) watching each other, and if there is a 'lead musician' that person is who you should be listening to and watching. Watching is really important, especially if there is a lot of extraneous noise - wind, audience, etc. which might make it harder to hear. Watching means being aware of the other musicians' fingers, bellows direction, bow directions, body movements, etc. at the same time as also watching the dancers.

When you start to analyse it in this way you realise that the art of playing in a band is quite complex. It takes practice to get it right but it is definitely worth doing, because it makes the difference between a really good band (where people come up to you afterwards and congratulate you on the music) and one which is just mediocre.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 09:10:41 AM »

Also, you're right, it can be hard for musicians to hear what the lead musician is doing over the noise they are, quite rightly, making, themselves. Especially when everyone is playing loudly in a big band. It is surprisingly easy to end up with conflicting tempos if you don't plan to prevent it.

I disagree with the -noise they are, quite rightly, making, themselves' bit, if they are playing so loudly they can't hear the lead musician they are playing too loudly. If you are ending up with conflicting tempos' there is a real problem with people just being players and not members of a band.

Generally, I would say you're right, Lester (and Steve) but we're not all experts when we start. it's not all their fault. As a band we're in our first year of playing out together.   My playing is not particularly loud. Some of them are inexperienced in playing for morris (although they are experienced musicians). The guitar player has a natural tendency to get ahead of the beat. If kept in check he's fine.  It's all part of our learning experience. 
I need to take care when setting  up to make sure that all the people that have to hear me can hear me. We've worked hard at being a band, rather than just a group of people who happen to be playing together. When we put all the band out out these days the consensus I get, from informed  feedback, is that we sound pretty good these days, but I have to work at it.

It's all worth it to me and the dancers. We love the sound we get now and it keeps getting better. But it can be hard for them all to hear me. I'm not about to tell any of them to sod off if they get it wrong now and then.
Greg Smith

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »

Generally, I would say you're right, Lester (and Steve) but we're not all experts when we start. it's not all their fault. As a band we're in our first year of playing out together.   My playing is not particularly loud. Some of them are inexperienced in playing for morris (although they are experienced musicians). The guitar player has a natural tendency to get ahead of the beat. If kept in check he's fine.  It's all part of our learning experience. 
I need to take care when setting  up to make sure that all the people that have to hear me can hear me. We've worked hard at being a band, rather than just a group of people who happen to be playing together. When we put all the band out out these days the consensus I get, from informed  feedback, is that we sound pretty good these days, but I have to work at it.

It's all worth it to me and the dancers. We love the sound we get now and it keeps getting better. But it can be hard for them all to hear me. I'm not about to tell any of them to sod off if they get it wrong now and then.

Of course you have to work at it and you're right about not being experts when you start. But you seem to be doing all the right things and the feedback you are getting confirms this. Keep at it!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »

Of course you have to work at it and you're right about not being experts when you start. But you seem to be doing all the right things and the feedback you are getting confirms this. Keep at it!

(:) Thanks Steve.

But, to make the original point I had in mind, there are some good reasons to have a loud box.
Greg Smith

george garside

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »

What Lester and Steve have said sums it up pretty well.  Just a thought/observation  the best dance sides always seem to have excellent band/musicians  and the slightly 'iffy' sides have iffy band/musicians.

The 'band' and the dancers  are , or should be, equal partners in putting on a public performance and should be 'as one'. and for that matter the band members should operate as a harmonious whole  with a designated boss person, leader or whatever

george

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »

What Lester and Steve have said sums it up pretty well.  Just a thought/observation  the best dance sides always seem to have excellent band/musicians  and the slightly 'iffy' sides have iffy band/musicians.

The 'band' and the dancers  are , or should be, equal partners in putting on a public performance and should be 'as one'. and for that matter the band members should operate as a harmonious whole  with a designated boss person, leader or whatever

george

Sorry we're iffy, George.
Greg Smith

george garside

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »

But, to make the original point I had in mind, there are some good reasons to have a loud box.

At risk of being the awkward squad I can't see any reason for the leader having a loud box  as a well practiced band (of whatever sort)  should lesten to each other I,e, A listens to B listens to C etc  and most importantly all watch the dancers feet,. Also  the job maintaining rhythm and timing  is the prime function of the drummer which is part of most morris  bands. i.e the leader maintains the rhythm timing etc which is picked upo and amplified by the drummer  and is picked up by the dancers and restof the band.   

george of the akward sqaad ;) :||: :M :|glug

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »

I think I'm out of this discussion before I get offended by pontifications from people who've never seen or heard us.
Greg Smith

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal