Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serenellini Lady for Morris Band  (Read 3625 times)

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Re: Serenellini Lady for Morris Band
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 10:09:33 AM »

I think I'm out of this discussion before I get offended by pontifications from people who've never seen or heard us.

Please don't get offended Greg ! I,m sure none of these comments are intended personally. There is and always has been much discussion on how Morris should be accompanied, some people favouring large bands of musicians, others less so, with the trend nowadays towards larger bands with a greater variety of instrumentation, and as others have said a large band does need to be "balanced" with no one instrument dominating, and this does take practice.
As I've said previously my experience was some years ago in Cotswold and Border Morris ( Hartley M.M and Motley Border, Both in kent) and mostly we danced to a single musician or very occasionally two. I also remember being told by older and more experienced musicians that the audience has come to watch the dancers, not listen to the music,.. the musician's job is to support the dancing not particularly to show off your virtuosity. I,m sure an audience enjoy good musicianship, but it should never dominate the dancing.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

george garside

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »

Greg , the 'pontifications'  by me ( and others) were not aimed at or intended to offend anybody.

As far as I can see, from reading through this interesting thread ,  a veriety of views, including my own,  were simply attempts to pass on , (sometimes differing)  advice in the forums ethos of  everybody chucking in their three penneth  in the hope  that somebody may find it helpful  and that all are free to agree or disagree

I am personally sorry that you feel offended

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »

I would echo other comments here about playing as part of a band, especially Steve's.  A well rehearsed band is always time well spent.  Another big factor is environment - how you play is dependent on whether you are outside on a windy seafront, indoors in a pub or mic'ed up at a ceilidh spot.  You need to adjust accordingly.  Also if the player next to you has a Baffetti Binci, don't always expect to be heard anyway  >:E

Back to the original question - I think that a Serenellini Lady would be absolutely fine for Morris.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »

Also if the player next to you has a Baffetti Binci, don't always expect to be heard anyway
Once a morris "band" exceeds a certain number of boxes no one individual really gets heard.

Again, to go back to the original question, the answer is "probably". Perhaps Nigel could give some more information about the band he intends to play in and what other kinds of music he intends to play. Then he might get some slightly more focused advice on whether the Lady is the box for him.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »

Greg , the 'pontifications'  by me ( and others) were not aimed at or intended to offend anybody.

As far as I can see, from reading through this interesting thread ,  a veriety of views, including my own,  were simply attempts to pass on , (sometimes differing)  advice in the forums ethos of  everybody chucking in their three penneth  in the hope  that somebody may find it helpful  and that all are free to agree or disagree

I am personally sorry that you feel offended

george

I [should have] said, I ought to get out before I got offended. I'm pretty thick skinned, some say blissfully ignorant.

Quote from: NigelR

Once a morris "band" exceeds a certain number of boxes no one individual really gets heard.

True. Our band had three Melodeons and two PAs when I joined. My little Jones concertina was completely inaudible.
For the last two years I have been the only free reed player. I must admit, I prefer what's happening now.

What I am trying to get over [convey] is that there are a number of approaches to morris dancing and morris music (at least there are down our way) and they can have very different criteria.
I think most of you know what I mean.  They are, however, all equally valid.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:58:09 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »

Its bot just indoor.outdoor, especially with NW.  Even with rubber shods clogs can drown out the music on any noisy surface.  Our side once did a ceilidh spot at Chippenham and even though the band was amplified through the stage PA system, the dancers could only hear the bass drum.

I've not been a regular for the last couple of years as my work rota always seems to interfere.  On the last occasion I found myself outside a local pub, I took my 1914 and couldn't hear it above those around me.  Come half time someone commented that I was having as much effect as usual on the band, so I switched to the Baffetti Binci and found I was once again leading.  My apologies to the leader should she read this, but I could no longer hear her Hohner PA (she's since bought a very nicely fettled Pokerwork). As it was really annoying me that the LH side of the band was out of tempo with the RH side, I blasted out a strict tempo and dragged them back into sync.  Perhaps only the leader should be allowed to play louder than the others, then...?

By contrast, the other side with us (also NW) had two Dino Baffettis or similar as their band, so was completely different but they play very much together and with great gusto in Jim Sawyer's style.

Rob.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal