Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hollywood Melodeon  (Read 761 times)

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
Hollywood Melodeon
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »

I don't think this has previously been mentioned here, and might be of interest.

The 1948 feature film "For the Love of Mary", with actor Harry Davenport miming accompanying Deanna Durbin performing "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGQYjcf0qu4

What is interesting here is that the sound track appears to feature a concertina. More usual in films is an actor miming on a concertina and some sort of accordion on the soundtrack.

As some one commented, poor old Mr Davenport "looks like he's about to croak" towards the end. Or is that just a well-rehearsed 1940s melodeon face???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:38:09 PM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Hollywood Melodeon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »

I'm impressed with him acting melodeon face as well as pretending to play it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »

Early method acting. Maybe that's where Lee Strasbourg got the idea from

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »

Bit late now, but it would have looked better if the film director might told the actor to actually move his fingers. Also, I doubt the lady singing could have crouched down like that and sing so nicely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal