Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lurking Boxes  (Read 1155 times)

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
Lurking Boxes
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:21:10 PM »

I've been reflecting on the small stack of boxes that lurk in in my spare bedroom and seldom get played these days.  I've bought them during the fifteen or sixteen years I've been learning to play the box, in the hope of better catering for my supposed musical needs and expectations.

Looking at the boxes in the order they were purchased in, it's clear that the development of my tastes has described something of a circular course, in so far as I began my journey on light swing-tuned 21x8 2 voice Hohners, and after sixteen years of playing other models, that's exactly what I now play as the instrument of choice. 

In the intervening time I've bought and played 23x8, 21x12, 2 voice and 3 voice, no stops and five stops, dry tuned and near musette.  I've tried half a dozen models from four different makers, and here I am, back where I started.

I suspect that this demonstrates my progress has been governed far more by my own limitations than by those of whatever box I happen to have played.

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience of ending up back where they started?   

Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
Re: Lurking Boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »

Not quite but my first 2 row box was a Hohner Pokerwork before I bought a Nuage -  and I still prefer to play the Pokerwork for certain tunes ,  probably partly influenced by nostalgia but I think the wetness of the tuning does give it some gorgeous right hand harmonics. 
Paul
Location NE Fife

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »

Aye, I know the feeling. I started off with a Black Diamond, then went to a Beltuna Alex III. then through a series of 2 and 3 rows, bought a Hascy new, and sold it at a huge loss 3 months later. I now am a self declared early Hohner fan, and shall remain so. It cost me a lot to get here, but I'm happy now. Still can't play as well as I want to, but heigh ho !

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

mselic

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »

Yes - I started out on a 4-stop one-row, moved on to two-row boxes of various makes, and all but left the 4-stop behind. After about a year or two, I realized that the one-row was my first and true love, and now that’s all I play!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »

Give me a good G/C Pokerworks or Erica with the accidentals under my chin and I'm a happy guy.  I've inherited a lot of others, but they just sit and listen.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:27:58 PM »

I bought a poker work DG in the 70s and it's still the instrument I go to. I have a GC  Erica for tunes that sound best on bagpipes in C.
I've never got around to messing about with the Italian hobbies though I could be tempted.
I did buy a GCF that looks like a red Corona but after the pokerwork it feels a big lump. It might go and be replaced by a CF of some sort.
So, no lurking boxes at all. Mind if you're talking about bagpipes...................
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal