Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for August 2018: Well Known Tunes You Love  (Read 2260 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

... at George's excellent suggestion, though he phrased it rather more eloquently as "Tunes you still love but everyone else is bored with." :-) (I didn't have enough space in the title for that). There are lots of tunes that (in my opinion) don't get played as often as they should because people consider them hackneyed/out of fashion/etc. Rubbish says I. Play them long, and play them proud. What tunes do you still love that just don't get played enough any more because "everyone plays that to death" (except of course, that they don't anymore)?

Cheers,

Clive

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
Re: Theme of the Month for August 2018: Well Known Tunes You Love
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »

The Railway.
A tune to which I was introduced by Mick Reeve when I first took up squeezeboxing in about 1978. A fine utilitarian beginner tune which seems to be rarely played in this neck of the woods nowadays.
A fond attachment rather than love maybe?

https://youtu.be/lIJYVV8NW2A

All the best

Bill

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »

Here's a recording of Salmon Tails up the Water, played in C on the G/C Lilliput.

https://youtu.be/JpaPUTTMjhM

One of my favourite tunes ever, and the second tune I ever learnt. Not played much around here (Milton Keynes) - perhaps I should do something about that and start playing it out more myself. It's a cracker.

george garside

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »

I put a couple of sets of such tunes on youtube a few years ago using just the laptop mike and camera ( they are the only ones I have ever put on youtube.  they ae rope waltz and stronsey waltz on 12 bass 3 voice BCC# hohner trichord in need of complete overhaul  and Tiparary and pack up your troubles on a 48 bass casali BCC#

If anyone wants to have a look just put in youtube george garside melodeon.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »

Speed the Plough played on my Saltarelle L'Elfique with all reeds and thirds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtGM-0q8MrQ

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:41:07 AM »

The Railway.
A tune to which I was introduced by Mick Reeve when I first took up squeezeboxing in about 1978. A fine utilitarian beginner tune which seems to be rarely played in this neck of the woods nowadays.
This tune is "out of fashion"? Shows what a newbie I am. I heard this tune very early in my melodeon learning - John Kirkpatrick played it on the "Banquet of Boxes" compilation CD, which I acquired last December about a month into my melodeon ownership. This was one of the first tunes to really grab me and make me want to learn to play it, and it's definitely still on my "to do" list!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »

Oh I didn't need all to long to think of a song.
My personal variation of the bear's dance (or "Bärentanz" or "Danza del oso"). An old traditional that is widely known under different names and with different nuances. It's a simple tune but got "that groove". It just does it for me, when not played too slowly or too straightforward.  :||:

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/barentanz-take-1

Enjoy!
(Recording comes with major hickup at its end. For free and at no extra costs. What a bargain!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:19:31 PM by Fred »

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 10:30:58 PM »

Do you know, I love this tune. Was at a session a few years back with a couple of recorder players in it, and yes this sounded every bit as good as you'd hope.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »

Thanks all - quiet quiet month this month, but as normal put late contribs on the end here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal