Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: need to find a retailer with lots in stock  (Read 4106 times)

RVJ87

need to find a retailer with lots in stock
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »

At my wit's end! Any help greatly appreciated.
I have been looking high and low for the right melodeon for me for weeks on end. I have tried a few suppliers, and none of them have what I need. What I need to do is to find a retailer in the UK where I can sit down for a bit and try out several different boxes. I keep going to different retailers only to keep being told they only have a few boxes in stock (which is a little frustrating to say the least). Could anyone tell me if there's a UK retailer with lots of boxes of different makes in stock right now that would let me sit down for a few hours and try out different boxes until I find something that works for me?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: need to find a retailer with lots in stock
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »

Hobgoblin Canterbury seem to carry a good selection. Check the web site

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »

Possibly you need to be more specific. Or are you really expecting a couple of hours in a shop to sort out how much you want to pay (£500? £3000? More? Less? In between?) what keys you want to play in, and how many rows you need? How much playing experience do you have?
Very recently I have seen a good stock of melodeons at Birmingham Hobgoblin, with several Serenellinis (I'd have a second one if I had the money), and a vast display of melodeons at Whitby Folk Week, courtesy of Acorn Instruments, but virtually all Castagnaris (AKA Mucho Costallottis). If these are way out of your price range, Allodi Accordions in London seem to have quite a few melodeons in stock further down the price range (but check that the website is up to date; looks a bit suspect to me). You can probably establish fairly quickly whether other branches of Hobgoblin have a good stock, via their website. The branches do vary a lot in what they carry.
In my experience (such as it is) trying to find the ideal box in the way you suggest may not succeed too well. Get to grips with the box, find out what situations you are mostly playing in and you will quite probably realise it is too basic/heavy/loud/quiet/lacks accidentals/has useless accidentals. Been there, done that, more than once. So buy secondhand so that you don't lose too much money.

RVJ87

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »

I have over twenty years playing experience on the D/G box. I already know what I want to spend- £1900 max. I need a two row instrument that's light, simple, fast and responsive. In addition to english music, I also play a lot of the faster scottish and irish reels. I regularly play in sessions that feature these kinds of tune.

I know that I need a box that can handle both ends of the scale, as it were, I just don't know which box that is. I don't like castagnaris (too spongey), nor do I care for serenellini boxes (far too heavy). I have found Hobgoblin to be quite useless unfortunately, as they only ever seem to stock b/c or g/c boxes, or a few cheap chinese d/gs that frankly I wouldn't play if you paid me. I don't really rate hobgoblin as folk instrument retailers- one person at hobgoblin birmingham had never heard of the Sandpiper make

As for expecting to be able to spend more than a couple of hours in a shop, well, when the music room at cleckheaton was still around, you could do exactly that. I remember very clearly being invited to sit down and play as many boxes as I wanted til I found what I needed. I was welcome to play anything, they'd make you a cup of tea and give you the time you needed to make a decision. I need a shop where I can do that (though I don't know that I'll find that level of service again) because I won't know exactly which melodeon I'll need until I play it. It's a bit of a harry potter thing- when I do find the right one, I'll know.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:23:50 PM by RVJ87 »

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

Sounds like you need to go visit Murray at the Reed Lounge. Great bloke & he's founded it with exactly that in mind. As far as I know he'll make you a cup of tea and leave you be to noodle to your hearts content.

https://thereedlounge.com/

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:50:17 PM »

Have a look at my website, there may be something that tickles your fancy.
www.melodeons.com
You are welcome to visit my workshop in Welshpool (by appointment).
We can take it in turns to make the tea  ;)

Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »

............. and the Castagnari CLOVIS is now back in stock - hurrah!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »

I have been looking high and low for the right melodeon for me for weeks on end.

Did anyone else chuckle when they read this? A lot of us have been seeking 'the right melodeon for me' for years  ;)
And I have to travel about 10,000kms to find a retailer with lots in stock.
Anyway, good luck with your quest.

RVJ87

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 11:33:48 PM »

Well the sad thing is that I actually already found the right melodeon several years ago... it was a Gabbanelli- or at least it was made by Gabbanelli. It was absolutely gorgeous and it played like a dream. At the time it was exactly what I needed. Unfortunately I was forced to sell it some time ago owing to some financial difficulty. I've never had a melodeon that worked as well for me since.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:37:14 PM by RVJ87 »

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »

"I need a two row instrument that's light, simple, fast and responsive". Sounds like a used Baffeti binci two voice. Should leave you plenty of change from £1900 for getting it set up just as you want it. As for Hobgoblin denying all knowledge of Sandpiper, remember it was made by their main competitor! Anyway I had one and it was a waste of time, two broken springs within weeks of buying new. Replaced by a Hohner.

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 12:36:57 AM »

It may seem an obvious question, but if you like Gabbanelli, then why not buy another one. I have 2,3 and four voice boxes, I like them all but I don't thing I will ever be able to decide which I like best, its a case of what suits me on the day.

RVJ87

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 04:35:31 AM »

@Tufty... well that would explain things... I thought it was a bit odd. As for Dino boxes, I owned one about a year ago, I also loaned a black pearl ii a few days ago, and while I can't fault them for their ability to play morris/slower english tunes brilliantly, I find that they don't seem to handle the faster stuff well. I think part of it is the stepped fingerboard, which I don't get on with.

RVJ87

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 04:42:37 AM »

@TomB I'd like to but they seem hard to get hold of (in this country at least). I'd been looking for one similar to the one I had for a while, and had been unable to find anything but some very flashy g/c/f three-rows and some rather gaudy piano accordions. I suppose I could go to an italian retailer, but the thing is I'd want to discuss tunings/layouts/etc, which I think would be quite tricky in my pidgin-italian.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »

... I suppose I could go to an italian retailer, but the thing is I'd want to discuss tunings/layouts/etc, which I think would be quite tricky in my pidgin-italian.
This is the advantage of dealing either with Rees Wesson or Pete Ward (Acorn Instruments). They are both experienced at dealing with customers' requests for tunings and layouts, and are experts at negotiating with Castagnari to get what the customer wants. Much better than trying to do it yourself and having the hassle of returning an instrument to Italy if the maker has misinterpreted your request and sent the wrong tuning/layout.

It may well be that Rees or Pete have a suitable instrument in stock anyway. Check their websites.
I've used both Rees and Pete a good few times over the years and can vouch that their service is second to none.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »

... I suppose I could go to an italian retailer, but the thing is I'd want to discuss tunings/layouts/etc, which I think would be quite tricky in my pidgin-italian.
This is the advantage of dealing either with Rees Wesson or Pete Ward (Acorn Instruments). They are both experienced at dealing with customers' requests for tunings and layouts, and are experts at negotiating with Castagnari to get what the customer wants. Much better than trying to do it yourself and having the hassle of returning an instrument to Italy if the maker has misinterpreted your request and sent the wrong tuning/layout.

Except that the OP doesn't like Castignaris
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »

the OP doesn't like Castignaris

There are many other Italian makers
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »

Presumably not to be found in a shop with lots of other possibilities, but have you considered Cairdin?

I haven't tried their "English" model or any other model in D/G tuning, but the B/Cs and C#/Ds I have tried are most definitely light, fast and responsive.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=19403.0
http://cairdin.eu5.org/range.html

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »

Sounds like you need to go visit Murray at the Reed Lounge. Great bloke & he's founded it with exactly that in mind. As far as I know he'll make you a cup of tea and leave you be to noodle to your hearts content.

https://thereedlounge.com/
+1 for Murray.  I bought from him at Shrewsbury.  A very relaxed process and a good guy to deal with.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »

Hi,
I have an extensive stock of Castagnari Melodeons,largest in UK,you are welcome to come and without pressure
A box second hand which may be of interest,
I have a Paddy Clancy,D,G.Just been serviced and ready to go,lightening fast,Hand Made reeds.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

RVJ87

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 01:13:55 AM »

@Stiamh... I haven't yet but am considering emailing them to see if they can help.

@ Nigelr I'm thinking about giving him a ring quite soon. With what people say it's possible he can help me.

@ Pete/acorn Thank you, but I'm not really a fan of the paddy clancy boxes; they seem a bit too big for what they offer. As I mentioned earlier, I'm afraid I've gone off Castagnari boxes quite a bit; they've changed a lot since the first time I played one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal