Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: need to find a retailer with lots in stock  (Read 4104 times)

RVJ87

Re: need to find a retailer with lots in stock
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 07:34:31 AM »

By the way, does anyone know anything about these? https://www.verdestrumentimusicali.com/fisarmoniche/diatonica/occitan.html. Looks and sounds very nice- might be what I need. Obviously I'd need it in D/G with the correct left-hand layout. I think G/C is the standard tuning for these boxes, but I could probably send them a diagram of what I need. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:36:29 AM by RVJ87 »

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »

Presumably not to be found in a shop with lots of other possibilities, but have you considered Cairdin?

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=19403.0
http://cairdin.eu5.org/range.html
Personally I would love a Cairdin, but the website shows prices from €2800 and a long delivery time - or have I misread the website.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:51:22 PM by Tiposx »

Roger Howard

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »

By the way, does anyone know anything about these? https://www.verdestrumentimusicali.com/fisarmoniche/diatonica/occitan.html. Looks and sounds very nice- might be what I need. Obviously I'd need it in D/G with the correct left-hand layout. I think G/C is the standard tuning for these boxes, but I could probably send them a diagram of what I need.

Running a search on Melnet for "Verde" will produce a couple of dozen results, some of which will give you some idea of the quality, even if they go back a few years.

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

RVJ87

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »

Thank you. I had a look at some of the older posts on the subject and Verde boxes seem quite well-regarded. I think it may possibly be what I'm looking for, though I don't know how I would go about ordering a D/G box with accidentals and correct left hand layout on my own; as I mentioned earlier, my Italian is practically non-existent. I did have a go at making an Italian translation of the standard D/G layout, but of course there's the possibility that it could be misread or misinterpreted- goodness knows what I might end up with.

On a related note, I gather that Rees Wesson used to import G.Verde boxes, but stopped because of supply issues (I think) so I'm not sure who might be able to help.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »

You're still not going to know how fast they respond until you've played one, are you?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »

I may be wrong about this one but aren't Verdi boxes made for them by another Italian manufacturer?  I seem to recall someone telling me it was Mengascini but I may be wrong?  Dave Jolly imports Mengascini boxes as does Belfast Music, in addition to the ones with a stepped keyboard they sell a black sparkly one with a flat keyboard which is their own design.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4kwL948C7Q
There is an earlier thread about this box somewhere which discusses it's likeness to the Gabbanelli that Rees designed and imported.

RVJ87

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 10:38:34 PM »

@Choonz Yes, though I believe they're manufactured by Polverini. I've seen the Mengascini melodeon and I see the resemblance to the Gabbanelli (I think it's the Gabbanelli Pocket)- very nice, but not sure it's for me. I did see one of the Gabbanelli boxes for sale somewhere- I can't seem to find much information about it though.

richard.fleming

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »

You're still not going to know how fast they respond until you've played one, are you?

SJ
Maybe I'm going to betray myself by saying I've never got this fast response thing. In my experience you depress the button and move the bellows and out comes the sound. Just like that. I've never had to wait around at all. But then I've always played Paolo Sopranis.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »

Bob Ellis of this parish has a Gabbanelli Pocket in D/G. He may be able to offer more help.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »

As it happens, I've just seen a S/H Gabbanelli Pocket melodeon listed on the website of Birmingham Accordion Centre.
Dave Jolly's website does not give an address. Last I heard he was living in France, though that was probably about a year ago (he did some work + buying and selling for us earlier when we lived near Northampton and has been in touch since).

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 10:50:32 PM »

I had a Verde on trial from Rees a while back. Listening to this video now makes me think that it was a great sounding and playing box, especially for the money. There's also an early prototype Castagnari and a Giustozzi on the video. I did get permission at the time to upload the video, as they weren't my boxes. I ended up buying something else for a strange set of circumstances - allergy to some woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5F8fPIzikA
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »

As that video shows, the only way to tell whether you'll like the feel and sound of a box is to play it.....
...and perhaps to hear someone else play it. I have a Giustozzi , the sibling of the one in the video, and watching that video gave me a new perspective on my own box.

One of the best way to try lots of different boxes is to visit melodeon-focused workshop event like Witney, Wensleydale etc, as most people will be only to happy to let you try their boxes. And/or festivals of course.

I'd definitely suggest having a chat to Rees as he has relationships with a number of the Italian builders and has ordered/imported small batches of custom (i.e. non-standard to the Italians) D/G boxes from Giustozzi,  Gabbanelli, Castagnari.......
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »

I had a Verde on trial from Rees a while back. Listening to this video now makes me think that it was a great sounding and playing box, especially for the money. There's also an early prototype Castagnari and a Giustozzi on the video. I did get permission at the time to upload the video, as they weren't my boxes. I ended up buying something else for a strange set of circumstances - allergy to some woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5F8fPIzikA

Interesting video, I certainly liked the Giustozzi, never having heard one before, not much to choose between that and the Verde, but it confirmed my dislike of Castagnaris ;)

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal