Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vegan melodeon?  (Read 4187 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Vegan melodeon?
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »

Someone recently jokingly (sort of) pointed out the prevalence of animal product (skin) in a melodeon, and went on to ask if there is a vegan version. I have seen an occasional set of (leaking) bellows with rubber gussets, and I suppose with plastic valves and some other material for pallet facings it would be possible. But has anyone else been asked about vegan accordions/melodeon? It’s a slightly bizarre notion that I’d not considered before. Though if you happen to be vegan perhaps it isn’t so bizarre.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Vegan melodeon?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »

Been discussed on concertina.net

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »

I don't know about vegan melodeons, but I knew a flautist once who was a strict vegan and managed to source pads for the keys/toneholes which were covered with a synthetic material rather than the usual fish skin or animal skin.

I am vegetarian myself, but mainly because I actually don't like the taste and physiological effects (makes me ill) of meat and fish, rather than for any ethical reasons. I do accept that there are some applications for which leather has flexibilty and durability properties which make it a far superior product than any synthetic material (as far as I know).

Melodeon specifics:
I am happy to use Vileda (synthetic leather) valves, and have done so for over 10 years with no discernable loss of performance (stiffening, cracking, noise, etc.). I would think that Vileda would also be a suitable pallet facing material, especialy if combined with a felt backing, although I've not come across this as a product so far.

However, I suspect Vileda gussets on bellows corners would not be durable; the constant flexing would probably cause premature cracking. Unless there is a suitable synthetic product which has been developed, I think this is a situation where only leather would do. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:30:51 AM »

Also this discussion here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19832.0.html (although it's 90% off topic)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:36:13 AM by Eshed »
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

richard.fleming

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »

Would a second-hand melodeon built before one was born be acceptable to a vegan?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

these ethical issues always interest me.

While I certainly try to shy away from some of the 'holier than thou' attitudes that can come with some Vegans, I find that the vast majority that I come into contact with are just thoughtful people trying to minimise the suffering to animals and people and lower the impact that their lives have on the planet.

Ethical and environmental issues have been considered in the world of musical instruments for a while with various countries prohibiting or restricting the use or import/export of certain materials so the desire for a 'vegan' instrument is probably just taking those ideas a step further

From a personal perspective I would think that the 'greenest' (that taking precedent in my world over 'vegan' ) option would be to reuse an older instrument -given that any suffering to animals and drain on the planets resources had already been done. If and when that instrument needed repairs? I'm sure the fettlers on this forum would know more than me but could leather parts not be made from repurposed leather rather than plastics?

Rog

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »

Been discussed on concertina.net
Thanks Lester, that’s v interesting.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 01:35:51 PM »

Perhaps some kindly vegan box players could donate their skin to the melodeon world in their last will and testament.

Tan my hide.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »

Dick, you missed out the rest of the line..........."when I'm dead, Fred." I don't suppose that song is well received in vegan circles, anyway?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »

Thanks for that.  I'd completely forgotten that song.

"So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde, and that's it hangin' on the shed."

Brilliant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:09:53 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »

If . . . .  you go in the woods and find a dead moose.

You take the skin and make leather of it, and even some hideglue. And use it in a box.

Is it still a vegan box?
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »

I think you're going to find that there's more that one methodology that any given individual might ascribe to. It... may come across as a little disingenuous to workshop what may or may not 'count' as vegan - some will feel that something is acceptable for them, some will not. However, taking the time to simply be aware of & identify the materials & products that are present in instruments, sourced from animals or otherwise, is still a nice thing to do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:44:59 PM by Gena Crisman »

Matthew B

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »

Stéphane Groleau posted an account of how he built a vegetarian box here https://ecordeon.veganequebec.net/.  And this is how it sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRRjEJGZrbU.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

bellowpin

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »

Stéphane Groleau posted an account of how he built a vegetarian box here https://ecordeon.veganequebec.net/.  And this is how it sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRRjEJGZrbU.
   this eco-rdeon model seems to be different to most one row melodeons.   it has eleven buttons!!     discuss??      it looks to be a beautifully crafted instrument..     brian..
whole life in the shropshire hills. on the slow track and enjoying it.

mselic

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »

this eco-rdeon model seems to be different to most one row melodeons.   it has eleven buttons!!     discuss??      it looks to be a beautifully crafted instrument..     brian..

Mélodie (Quebec) makes an 11-button one-row accordion. Bobby Gardiner used to play one, and Raynald Ouellet still does:

https://youtu.be/H15Ros-ShKE

C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Rog

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »

I’m kind of warming to the idea. It was a TV cameraman who asked about it whilst filming me...he was being mischievous. I'll report back to him when I see him next.

Lyra

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »

Stéphane Groleau posted an account of how he built a vegetarian box
That is in fact vegan, according to him

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »

Many people adopt a vegan diet, although a really committed vegan does not use any animal derived products.  If you're truly dedicated to a philosophy, you wouldn't look for or accept any loopholes.  There are quite a few vegetarians who follow vegan principles as far as they can without leading a visibly different lifestyle.  One of the most difficult things, when I was with my ex who is vege, was finding smart shoes!

I wonder what those imitation chamois leathers are - is that vileda?

Rob.

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »

I think a vegan melodeon should be possible.
No problem with valves, straps and pallet facings.

A few years back I was given a bag of leather and synthetic leather which included a material which could possibly be suitable for bellows gussets.

The only thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is reed wax, which contains beeswax. I haven't tried making it from paraffin wax and pine rosin but might give it a try.
Of course the other alternative is to use screws with an olovisc gasket

Martyn
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:35:11 PM by Martyn »
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »

Bought a cheap set of bellows from a Scarlatti, that fit a Hohner too, and I see no leather. They work well, but I don't suppose they'll last.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal