Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Visiting the UK  (Read 6768 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Visiting the UK
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »

"I've sent you an Email so we don't spam everyone."

Eshed, of course I cannot speak for anyone else, but I'd be fascinated to hear reports of your ongoing melodeoning journey, and certainly wouldn't class it as spam. But also, of course, if you don't feel that you want that level of publicity, or  value your privacy, that must come first.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

I live almost on the wall, at Brampton.  You'd be welcome any time at my house, or any Thursday there's Hexham Morris practice at Acomb Village Hall, 7.30-9.30pm, again, almost on the wall (the next village is Wall!).  If you're around on the second Sunday in November, there's a great session in the 14thcentury Pele Tower in Corbridge 3-6pm, but get there early as Pele towers aren't very big - well this one isn't.
Thank you Frank!
Passing through Brampton is definitely possible. Probably on the second day and not the first, as it's >35km from the start and I'm not in shape. I should still be relatively clean though :)
Thursday in Hexham is unlikely, but Sunday the 11th in Corbridge might just be.

Eshed, of course I cannot speak for anyone else, but I'd be fascinated to hear reports of your ongoing melodeoning journey, and certainly wouldn't class it as spam. But also, of course, if you don't feel that you want that level of publicity, or  value your privacy, that must come first.
I'd be delighted to keep you up to date with my escapades.  :||:

Other than that, I will probably fly back from London Nov. 18th or 19th. Suggestions for ~16-18th in a similar-ish latitude to London (Excluding London preferably) will be very welcome!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:35:38 AM by Eshed »
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »

That's super, Eshed. Ongoing stories, such as Gena's stop fitting saga, help to keep me sane (well!) as I languish here in Egypt.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »

As you 're attending our North East Melodeon Group session on 5 November, you would be most welcome to stay with us for the night and also on the Sunday 4 November. I need to travel to Cumbria that week and could take you to the beginning of the wall and leave your box with Frank Lee. I'm sure that we could work out a way of ferrying your box so it's ready for collection at South Shields.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »

As you 're attending our North East Melodeon Group session on 5 November, you would be most welcome to stay with us for the night and also on the Sunday 4 November. I need to travel to Cumbria that week and could take you to the beginning of the wall and leave your box with Frank Lee. I'm sure that we could work out a way of ferrying your box so it's ready for collection at South Shields.
That would be wonderful!
I've sent you a PM.
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »

All that sounds fine by me.  My musical ‘partner in crime’ lives in South Shields, and I’m sure we can work something out. 
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »

What a wonderful gang you all are. The above friendships are fantastic.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »

I've landed in England yesterday, evident by the sun being declared MIA.
So far I've managed to fix myself up with Cadbury and a few pints (separately, of course) to get in the right mindset. I was even caught in a mild drizzle today!
In the hostel I've managed to play a bit, and surprisingly no one ran away..
Unfortunately I was blocking the door at the time, so that might have had an effect on the results. Alas, I'll have to repeat the experiment.

Everyone who showed interest in meeting up should have received a private message or an email with my phone number etc. If you haven't, assume it was not intentional and please tell me.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »

Welcome to the UK Eshed the home of madness  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »

Welcome to the UK. We're looking forward to your stay with us in the North East. I've sent an email to you.   

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »

Welcome to the UK Eshed the home of madness  ;D
One of favourite bands actually!
Or did you mean MADness?
While going back home with an additional box sounds great on paper, as I do need a DG box, I hope I'll manage to fight the urge.

Welcome to the UK. We're looking forward to your stay with us in the North East. I've sent an email to you.   
So am I!

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »

Update the second:
I've been staying in Wakefield these past three days at a friend's and haven't played much as I didn't want to find myself homeless.
Today I've went to a lovely little park and played a bit. Unfortunately my box is horrendously out of tune, so most tunes were quite painful. After a ludicrous number of takes I've managed to record myself playing a tune that doesn't use the main offenders too much.
I advise most of you to refrain from watching, this is here mostly to teach Winston that you should be careful about what you wish for.
https://youtu.be/QZLYMzRRhyA
The blue skies are an optical illusion, my fingers were on the verge of falling off.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 12:19:07 AM »

Hi Eshed. Brilliant playing. I'm looking forward to hearing you playing with hot fingers when you join us in the North. Your comments remind me of www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo8hIc7DpuEb and look out for "I'm a bit wobbly" at the beginning and "she calls that wobbly" at the end. This lovely musically charged and political film was based around Grimethorpe, quite close to where you're staying.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 06:38:04 AM »

That was lovely, Eshed! No matter how many turn up for the NE Group, I think you'll probably be the STAR! Enjoy.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »

I think you'll probably be the STAR!
This is the surest way to shatter one's self confidence.  ;)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »

So yesterday I've went to the folk club in Keighley and met Anahata and Mary Humphries in the flesh!
Not only this but the first tune they performed was (I kid you not) Speed the Plough! Very appropriate as the first live folk tune I hear in England.
Brian Peters in the "main event" was absolutely fabulous and talk about coincidences, he played the same tune (minor Young Collins) I've played in the previous update! Significantly better, obviously... We've talked a little bit during a break and he is so remarkably friendly! I've also bought one of his CDs to support folk music and I can't wait to discover what's on it when I get home!
Afterwards there was an incredible concertina player from across the pond whose name I've forgotten. He played a song with lyrics along the lines of "if you can type you can play the concertina". It was an excellent, albeit misleading, song.
Thanks Anahata for inviting me, it was a delight!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:40:32 AM by Eshed »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »

Sitting here in Luxor Egypt with my lonely 1 row, I'm insanely jealous, Eshed! I hope the rest of your tour will be so enjoyable.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2018, 10:23:58 AM »

the first tune they performed was (I kid you not) Speed the Plough!

The William Clarke version, not the standard session version.

Afterwards there was an incredible concertina player from across the pond whose name I've forgotten.
Jody Kruskal.

It was a remarkable evening, even by Bacca Pipes standards.
And very nice to meet fellow melnetter Eshed on his way to the North.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »

Update the fourth:
Yesterday afternoon I rendezvoused with Nigel in a Morris practice.
I don't have a natural talent for dancing, but it was still very fun. Great workout too.
After some partially successful hopping, I tried joining the extraordinary box player who was playing for the dancers. Unlike dancing, I'm a renowned expert in miming, so that was enjoyable as well (picture attached. it makes roughly the same amount of sound that I was making).

With no local talent or expertise, the creation of a new side, The Jumping Jews of Jerusalem (name stolen from Blackadder), will have to be put on hold indefinitely.

In the evening we went to a very welcoming session/folk club (it was in a pub, but mostly people took turns in playing a song, with random harmonies from the rest). I've had a crisis of confidence and even messed up with a guitar, which is quite unlike me. Nevertheless, there were very good songs and very nice people!
Incredible thanks go to Nigel, and tomorrow we continue to the Roman Wall!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »

That was lovely, Eshed! No matter how many turn up for the NE Group, I think you'll probably be the STAR! Enjoy.

Yes Winston, Eshed was the Star. Didn't Big Brother tell you. Such skill and a personable character. He can harmonise with skill on a box never played before and even when he doesn't quite know the tune. It was a nice informal get together last night. Frank took over this morning in getting him to the beginning of the wall and sorting out a session en-route. In the meantime, Theo is fettling his box for collection at the end. All nice, just nice.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:11:25 PM by Nigel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal