Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visiting the UK  (Read 6766 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Visiting the UK
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »

I'm so pleased for you all. Well done!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »

I'm very interested in where you played in York on the 3rd November, as I don't remember any regular session on that day. Was it a regular session or a pick-up of friends playing together? If I'm  missing a session, I want in!  (:)

(Singed)

A genuine Yorkie.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »

I'm very interested in where you played in York on the 3rd November, as I don't remember any regular session on that day. Was it a regular session or a pick-up of friends playing together? If I'm  missing a session, I want in!  (:)

(Singed)

A genuine Yorkie.
A burning desire, no less.  ;D
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 10:52:32 PM »

(Singed)

A genuine Yorkie.
I'm sorry, I might have been unclear. I visited York for non-musical reasons, so no idea about sessions!

This is also the time for a new update!
Today I've finished my walk. During the trip I've had the delight of playing with (well, mostly listening to) Frank and his wife, which was nothing short of magical.
Immediately after reaching Tynemouth today (blisters and all) I took a train to Corbridge to the session where I've met Frank again. After heavy pressure I've attempted to start a tune, the result was subpar to say the least, mostly due to nerves, but thankfully there were nice people who kept the rhythm so I could join back in after my fumbles.
During the other tunes I've mostly did basses and bass lines as I couldn't and didn't want to hear my treble side.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:57:21 PM by Eshed »
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2018, 10:10:20 PM »

Aw thanks Eshed,  and Corrie says thanks too - she was happy she could still play after a very long lay-off with fibromyalgia.  I must say it was great to meet a soulmate regarding the approach to the instrument.  ‘Subpar’ you say - well - perhaps by your standards, but your standards are pretty high it has to be said, and I’m pretty sure the box I brought for you must feel a heck of a lot different to your Preciosa!  !  ....and you didn’t do what I did and tried to play a tune you’d never played before in mistake for another!
Hope you’re enjoying the rest of your stay.  Keep in touch. 
Frank. 
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »

It seems that Frank and Corrie tracked you along the wall. Also, you completed the route this time without your boots splitting  Wonderful stuff. By now, you'll be down south in Sheffield. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe journey home. As Frank said, I hope that you return and see us again.
Perhaps, a morris side ought to go on tour to Israel and meet up with your "Jumping Jews"!   
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:50:37 PM by Nigel »

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »

Ultimate Update:
In Sheffield I stayed with Mike Carney and his wife who dragged me along to a most magnificent session. Even though I had my preciosa by then (which for some arcane reason Mike wants me to sell already and get a D/G like a respectable gentleman), my brain was somewhat declubbed by then, so I played (well, lots of bass mostly) Mike's pokerwork instead. It does seem like I improved a bit from the previous sessions, but still fumbles galore. I suspect that it's more to do with having to play with other people than stage fright, as the input just overwhelms me.
The people, however were very friendly and didn't seem to mind at all. I've even managed to spontaneously start a tune, which was nice.
Thank you Mike!

That, pretty much was my last social melodeon escapade.
I did play a bit on my own (the preciosa is very pleasing, especially after being tuned by Theo) and here's my last tune from the UK. The video quality is not very good because I was in the airport and used my phone (don't worry, I got as far as I could from everybody else). The playing quality is up to debate, but all my fumbles were luckily in the right scale (my brain has reclubbed itself, huzzah!).
https://youtu.be/DkzrKzzK4iA

To conclude the thread, this trip was above and beyond what I expected thanks to the help and recommendations from this wonderful community. Thanks again to everyone I've met. Thanks also go to everyone I couldn't meet, I hope we can make it work next time! This is also a good place to remind that if for any reason anyone from melnet is in Israel, with or without a box, they should send me a PM.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »

Lovely rendition, Eshed!  Great relaxed feel. Was good to meet you.
Keep in touch.
Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal