Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2018: Hesleyside Reel  (Read 10024 times)

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2018: Hesleyside Reel
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »

xgx : I think you ask me about one video I play concertina. (Duet Concertina.. not easier than melodeon about ergonomic holding..)
Merci!
I found your youtube about your concertina via the link to Concertina.net  :)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »

Sorry, I don’t speak english very well... What do you mean by « dub some in »?..
I think he asked whether you added a second audio track. I believe he's talking about the part starting 1:36, but it is possible to see that your fingers are doing all the (very impressive) work and there was no need for editing (:).
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Thoon

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »

Thanks Eshed! I see. And you are right. No editing and no second audio track. I just keep finger pressed longer than the normal duration of the note of the melody (I play the next notes of the melody with the other available fingers...) to "create a second voice"..

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »

Can't say that I'm overly struck by the tune, but your playing is something else, Thoon. Wonderful!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »

Hi!

https://youtu.be/vobLTIKqc8k

Wonderful, fluent and imaginative playing as always. Your Engish is generally excellent, a few phrases (usually technical language which most other English speakers wouldn't immediately recognise either) catch you out, but I bet we can't do that twice!  ;)

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thoon

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »

Thanks Pete! And playandteach and all others.. 😉🙂
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:25:28 AM by Thoon »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »

Thanks for the great versions so far; here's mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmaiMLoogDw

Played in C on the G/C Hohner Lilliput converted by Kay Albrecht. What a great tune! Don't know why I've never really tried to play it before?

Your basses look straightforward, Clive, but they are far more interesting than anything I have come up with and I am struggling to work out what you are playing  ???
Are they arranged conventially?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »

Thanks for the great versions so far; here's mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmaiMLoogDw

Played in C on the G/C Hohner Lilliput converted by Kay Albrecht. What a great tune! Don't know why I've never really tried to play it before?

Your basses look straightforward, Clive, but they are far more interesting than anything I have come up with and I am struggling to work out what you are playing  ???

Just for once, yes :-) No thirds though. Most of the magic comes from a fleeting B bass (in D/G speak) slipped in when transitioning from a G chord to a C chord as I recall. I tend to do that quite a lot.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »

Just for once, yes :-) No thirds though. Most of the magic comes from a fleeting B bass (in D/G speak) slipped in when transitioning from a G chord to a C chord as I recall. I tend to do that quite a lot.

Thanks. I think I've got my head (at least the bit with ears on it) around it now. Love that B.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »

Wanted to record a simple slow playthrough of the tune. Then a few variations and a bit of unexpected improvisation happened in the end. Have fun listening!

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/hesleyside-reel-take-2

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »

Wanted to record a simple slow playthrough of the tune. Then a few variations and a bit of unexpected improvisation happened in the end. Have fun listening!

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/hesleyside-reel-take-2
Cool. Very nice improv and sustained chords against the melody.
M

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »

Here's my recording of The Hesleyside Reel -

https://youtu.be/zRt5cXVFLkU

I'd appreciate comments on the playing and the sound.

I haven't played in public (except for brief appearances at ECMW and BTMW) for over a year. I have Menieres disease which has destroyed hearing in my right ear of anything below 1200Hz and anything above that is severely distorted. It means that I can't hear the right hand side of the melodeon very well especially in a noisy environment like a stage or a session.

However I now have a hearing aid which picks up sound on the right hand side and transmits it to the left hand side (and simultaneously "switches off" my right ear to stop the distortion).  It's taken some time to get the settings right so it can deal with the dynamic range of free reed instruments but I think we're getting there.

I also can't trust my judgement of the sound quality or stereo image so my recording engineer days are over.  Hence I'd appreciate comments on the sound of this recording.

Thanks

Mitch

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:44:51 PM by howard mitchell »
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »

No need to worry Mitch. It sounds lovely!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »

Here's my recording of The Hesleyside Reel -

https://youtu.be/zRt5cXVFLkU

I'd appreciate comments on the playing and the sound.

I haven't played in public (except for brief appearances at ECMW and BTMW) for over a year. I have Menieres disease which has destroyed hearing in my right ear of anything below 1200Hz and anything above that is severely distorted. It means that I can't hear the right hand side of the melodeon very well especially in a noisy environment like a stage or a session.

However I now have a hearing aid which picks up sound on the right hand side and transmits it to the right hand side (and simultaneously "switches off" my right ear to stop the distortion).  It's taken some time to get the settings right so it can deal with the dynamic range of free reed instruments but I think we're getting there.

I also can't trust my judgement of the sound quality or stereo image so my recording engineer days are over.  Hence I'd appreciate comments on the sound of this recording.

Thanks

Mitch

You have my sympathy.  As I continue to outlive all expectations, fewer things work and nothing works the way it used to do.  Cat Stevens  "Moon Shadow" has become a gospel tune for me, and when I can no longer play an instrument I'll still hear it inside.

Both the playing and the recording are great.  Best of luck.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:55:47 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »

Sounds like your hearing aid has done the trick. Congratulations.

It sounds great. Good balance and I love the basses. Some nice bass runs there.
Greg Smith

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »

I've really enjoyed this TOTM especially the contrasting versions by Saul and Thoon. Saul's masterly use of push-pull features and bellows/button control to create melodeon-specific  character;  Thoon's total fluency with the 18 bass..... as if he could play any music,  never mind the peculiarities of our instrument.     
I couldn't compete with a straight version, so here are some variations.   Best use headphones, as the recording's rather quiet

https://youtu.be/0qNOuywheHU

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »

... here are some variations.   Best use headphones, as the recording's rather quiet

So, I really enjoyed this - I love the way you've put it together, your chord choices, the ascent into top end of the keyboard, and subsequent fall into minor, pretty much everything about it really - it really tells a story.

Thank you for making it, and, thank you for finally playing the home chord at the end!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »

I couldn't compete with a straight version, so here are some variations.   Best use headphones, as the recording's rather quiet

Awesome variations, Jack! Very much enjoyed your approach!

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2018, 11:30:50 AM »

Thanks Fred and Gena!  Glad you liked it and I'm grateful for the encouragement.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal