Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2018: Hesleyside Reel  (Read 10025 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2018: Hesleyside Reel
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »

I opted to take my own inspirational advice - this tune in its most basic form only spans a single octave from tonic to tonic + 1 octave. I've been thinking about C major scales and decided to work out what it would take to play this tune in C major. C major is a scale that exists on a standard layout DG melodeon due to the presence of the F natural accidental, and, crucially, has some support on the bass end.

This tune, when played in C, uses exactly 3 F naturals, in the same way each time, and arguably all of them could probably be skipped over, so, that was fine, but what I felt the tune really needed was a thirds stop. This is because the B section of the music relies heavily on the accompaniment giving something vaguely resembling subdominant function, so, that would usually be the IV chord. When you play in G major, that's a C chord, and, when you play in C major, it's an F chord. Of course, my 8 bass DG doesn't have an F chord, but, D~ chords or D5, or whatever it is we choose to call them, can pass for D minor, which also provides subdominant function in this key, so can fill in for the absent F chord. A minor and E minor are also viable tonic function chords you can use to help keep things moving, so, you end up in a similar situation as you do with B minor - lots of tonic function chords and only one option each for the other functions.

The last crucial component was air management. The notes you want to play your C chord over are pull notes (c and e) , A~ and E~ are pull chords. You can end up with a lot of air in your bellows, so, there are some decisions made specifically to dump air, usually via picking the press D chord where possible, but, mostly with this tune at least, it was fine if you remembered to take any direct action. In the crawl ups in the 2nd bars of most of the lines, the bars that have the F note, I specifically opted to stick with an E minor chord vs a G chord played under a G note just because it sounded better. I tried to find some right hand chording I could do for bar 3 of the B music, as this is the place where the reliance on the D~ chord alone begins to show its weakness, but, it's quite a stretch to include anything with the F note in it at this point.

Anyway, as an experiment, I'm pretty happy with the achievement, I'm not super happy with my playing of it, but, it is what it is - a tune in C major. It was very nice to have Clive's submission on a GC box to practice a long with.

The Hesleyside Reel in C major on a DG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsGKLVxfEZk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:38:44 PM by Gena Crisman »

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2018, 09:07:09 PM »

That's really quite convincing.
Is your F on the pull or push?
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

george garside

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »

well done Gina.    playing in C on the G row is a useful and interesting exercise  ' For what its worth I only regularly play in C on the G row for the C (3rd) part of the bluebell polka

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »

That's really quite convincing.
Is your F on the pull or push?

My F5 that I'm using is on the pull, but, the note is a quaver just before the bar line so played entirely off of the beat, so I think it should work whichever way around.

I only regularly play in C on the G row for the C (3rd) part of the bluebell polka

Thanks! Me too, actually - I wish more people I knew locally would play the C in C, they always drop back to G.

I'm realising now I probably could have spiced up the D~ chord with an A fundamental but still a D chord. It's pretty viable!

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2018, 10:41:05 PM »

Just a bit off the wall, but I've always thought it a bit redundant having C going both ways in the bass and I rarely use the push.
How about a bass F push? The only push note of the triad is the A but the additional F in the bass would also give you a good G7 among other things.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »

Standard club tuning has exactly that in the basses (except usually they are C/F boxes, so it's an E♭ bass push, but same idea, and they often get converted to F if the box is retuned from C/F to D/G, even when the RH side is declubbed.)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »

I have Menieres disease which has destroyed hearing in my right ear of anything below 1200Hz and anything above that is severely distorted.

Sorry to hear that you've had your playing curtailed - I've also been struggling on and off with some hearing problems, which I've sort of got used to mostly. Your playing still sounds secure and controlled, rest assured. And good luck in the future.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »

Hi Pete, If you listen to my offering you'll probably wonder why my playing hasn't been curtailed!
Here it is, my poor approximation of the Hesleyside Reel, warts and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4uHCD5a6H8&feature=youtu.be
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »

It's steady and recognisable. 2 important qualities. Keep it up.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »

Thank you, Pete. You should join the Diplomatic Corps!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »

Thanks all - time for the next tune! As ever please feel free to stick late contributions onto the end of this thread.

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »

Almost two years too late, but then I didn't start playing till last year! Here's my version of the Hesleyside Reel (G Major on a 4th button start Pokerwork). Pretty basic I know, but I'm pleased with my progress (this is recorded on a phone though, so the sound isn't brilliant). You'll see I'm playing it with three fingers; this is one tune where the rapid switching between the third and fourth (wee) finger causes trouble for me, so I find it easier to use three in this case. Feedback welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WitLupxN03c

Warren.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »

VERY musical, steady with a nice touch on the keys.  Fingering is absolutely fine.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »

What Dick said and it's better played simply and well than variegated and badly.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2020, 07:31:51 PM »

Dick and Greg, you are both very kind, thank you, that means a lot coming from you! I know myself that I'm being a bit cautious (especially as I'm trying not to make a mistake whilst being video'd), and could do with going for it a bit more, but as I said, I'm reasonably pleased with my progress. My aim recently has been to solidify basic skills so I can take things on further.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:46:31 PM by The Oul' Boy »
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Dennis Steckley

• Good talker
  • Club System!
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2022, 03:44:21 PM »

The theme from MASH is "Suicide Is Painless."
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Liliput, Hohner Preciosa, Hohner Piccoletta, Hohner Overture LMMM (and three PA's, including one that is the same size as a Preciosa)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal