Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomann equipment - L Pack in particular  (Read 807 times)

daveb

Thomann equipment - L Pack in particular
« on: October 02, 2018, 11:35:54 AM »

Hello all
Does anyone have any experience of the Thomann L Pack, please? I bought one recently, having seen reference to it on this forum, together with two Thomann mics. When switching on, I get a very loud bang. Thomann say that this is normal with phantom power units, and I should turn the volume down when switching on. OK, I can do that, but having set the levels on the units, care is needed to rebalance the channels. My Audio Technica mics don't make this bang, so are Thomann feeding me a line? I have to say I'm very pleased with the mics, but disappointed so far with the L Pack (it feeds power to the two mics, so only one lead to the desk is needed.)
Loffet Pro, Castagnari Sander & Lily, Salterelle 2.5, Dino Bafetti, Self made 4 stop

Howard Jones

Re: Thomann equipment - L Pack in particular
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »

I don't have the L pack but I do have the AKG B29L which Thomann's is a copy of, and it is normal to get a noise when turning on a unit like this.   You should mute the line at the desk before turning it on and off.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Thomann equipment - L Pack in particular
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »

I don't have any experience of the units you describe, but that sounds fairly normal to me. A good general principle when powering up is to start at the input and work to the output and to keep power out stages turned down until it's on. Working the other way risks damage.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal