Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Henry Hills Sussex  (Read 1103 times)

busbox

• Regular debater
Henry Hills Sussex
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:33:08 AM »

Hello
Melnet has been a great source of information for me in my researches into my ancestors. I hope that I am not wearing out my welcome but I recentlt saw reference to a singer named Henry Hills born Lodsworth Sussex 1820. My personal interes is that a man of the same name was one of my great grandfathers. He started family arounf 1870 in Maitland NSW.
In one of the songs attributed to him he compares his love to a well tuned melodeon. It is quite common to encounter songs which use a fiddle allegory but this song might be unique.
Does anyone know any more about Henry Hills? I would be delighted to find myself related to this pioneer and also delighted to know more about the melodeon/ love song. I have had melodeons for twenty years but just heard of this Sussex musician this week.
Cheerio
Tony

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
Re: Henry Hills Sussex
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »

https://afolksongaweek.wordpress.com/tag/henry-hills/
There is a reference here if you haven't already found it

busbox

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:10:55 AM »

Thanks Rob
no, I have not seen the site but will look at it immedaitely. Are you in Sussex?

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »

Not in Sussex but I have a habit of buying books of collected folk songs. Grew up in Surrey now in Bedfordshire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal