Discussions > News and Events

Newbie Intro

(1/10) > >>

Pat McInnis:
Hey everyone, thanks for having me. Sorry about the photo confusion, it took me over an hour to figure it out. Yeesh. Anyways, I'm not sure that there is a short way of giving my story but I'll try to sum it up. I am what you would call a rank beginner when it comes to accordion playing. I play tin whistle with a friend who plays both piano and box accordion and we primarily play traditional Irish music. He purchased the brown box shown to leave at my place, so he didn't have to pack his good unit around with him all the time. We discovered immediately that it was pretty much destined to be a wall hanger. I had successfully brought back two piano accordions in the past with simple cleaning and light adjustments and thought that I could do the same with this Hohner. I was wrong. Now the green Hohner has found me and it has a very sentimental attachment. It belonged to my mother in laws father and he used to play it to her as a girl in the early '50s. I'm not sure of the actual vintage and due to it's current condition I haven't been able to figure out the key yet. I'm prepared to put the work in and hopefully learn a lot along the way. It might be a C/F but I haven't been able to confirm this yet. Ideally I'd like to make it into a B/C or C#/D if that's possible. So there it is. Not too painful. I should probably start a different thread on the build but I hope to do as much as possible myself. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Feel free to tell me that I should run away screaming. I can take it.

Tone Dumb Greg:
Hello Pat. Welcome. A bit of detail would be of interest  ;D

Pat McInnis:

--- Quote from: Tone Dumb Greg on October 12, 2018, 09:40:41 PM ---Hello Pat. Welcome. A bit of detail would be of interest  ;D

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'm a slow typer

Nigel:
Hi Pat. Welcome. Are you a new starter to melnet or to the box or both. If a new starter to the box. you would be most welcome to Derbyshire PlayGroup next weekend.

Pat McInnis:

--- Quote from: Nigel on October 12, 2018, 09:53:45 PM ---Hi Pat. Welcome. Are you a new starter to melnet or to the box or both. If a new starter to the box. you would be most welcome to Derbyshire PlayGroup next weekend.

--- End quote ---

Try not to cringe, I don't know the term meinet. haha. Just starting on the box but I'm more focused on the restoration than the playing at this stage. I'm hoping that one will feed the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version