Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Intro  (Read 5931 times)

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
Re: Newbie Intro
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »

Send me one and we will see ;).Its the d row I admit appeals more,d d sharp? I quite like the g g sharp I practice on but its not quite the right key, but as i am largely on my own no else cares or can notice. I would admit if I could only have  one two row on a desert island, it would at the mo be AD even over gd but luckily life is much better.I can see you not a BC fan ?? ;D ;)

just discoved the mojos :||:
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »

.I am practicing on a g g sharp box....

... I have ... no BC and I want one.
Now taking bets on how long you will stick with it after you get one, Mark.  :P

If folkloristmark has been playing his G/G# in a B/C style, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »

Send me one and we will see ;).Its the d row I admit appeals more,d d sharp? I quite like the g g sharp I practice on but its not quite the right key, but as i am largely on my own no else cares or can notice. I would admit if I could only have  one two row on a desert island, it would at the mo be AD even over gd but luckily life is much better.I can see you not a BC fan ?? ;D ;)

just discoved the mojos :||:

I get the impression that he's mostly not a big fan of the high failure rate of new B/C players.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »

Pat has the right of it. I am a fan of B/C actually. I mean, you can't get to a decent standard on any manner of diatonic box without serious hard work, but B/C is definitely a dabbler's despair. Not implying that you would be a dabbler, Mark, but I would say the system does require a serious commitment to get through the first year and I have reported various observations on here over the years of people falling by the wayside very quickly.

Mind you, although C#/D is easier to get started on, the learning curves coalesce soon enough. Getting good on either B/C or C#/D means eventually getting up to speed on the other.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:57 PM »

I'm a bit of a "dabbler", and I'm mystified as to why a B/C should be any different to play than a G/G# or a C#/D, or any other half step box. Aren't they the same fingerings to play any particular tune, like a D/G or a G/C or any other 4th apart?

If I'm confused after a few years of dabbling, and reading this forum every day, I don't know how poor Pat is coping, especially when he says "I am 100% new".
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »

Well, the horrible thing is ........ B/C and all other Irish system players mostly play in G,D, A or E!
Got it now?  :-[
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 11:15:08 PM »

I'm a bit of a "dabbler", and I'm mystified as to why a B/C should be any different to play than a G/G# or a C#/D, or any other half step box. Aren't they the same fingerings to play any particular tune, like a D/G or a G/C or any other 4th apart?

Believe it or not, Edward, the answer is the same as it was the last time you asked this question, which you did in this topic, Reply #9;)

But to save you from reading that entire confusing thread again, here is a more succinct answer: you can use the same fingerings on different halfstep boxes - but only if you don't mind the tune coming out in a different key. If you want to play any particular tune in the same key on different systems, then no the fingerings are not the same.

[Damn: that's at least the third time that Rees has plugged in a more succinct answer to a question while I am in the process of formulating a rambling reply to it!]

Sorry for the thread hijack, Pat.  :( :|glug

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »

I am invincible (dribble, fart, etc. ....)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 11:41:51 PM »

I don't know how poor Pat is coping, especially when he says "I am 100% new".
[/quote]

Copious quantities of whiskey.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2018, 12:01:07 AM »

Stiamh, trouble is that I'm as thick as two short planks! Seeing as it doesn't matter to me what key I'm playing in, I forget that real players need to play in a particular key. Sorry.
Maybe I should try Pat's whisky/whiskey trick?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal