Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best melodeon soft cases  (Read 4111 times)

Bakerspace

Best melodeon soft cases
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »

Can anyone offer advice on soft cases for a melodeon.
I have a two and a half row which is 33cm virtual height (when resting on its feet), 34cm wide including stops,  20cm front to back and 23cm height at the front (excluding the keyboard).

I have looked at cases by Fuselli (BAC0039) and Soundwear (2048 or 2048st).  The Soundwear has better padding.  But I don't know what other cases people would recommend.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul

arty

Re: Best melodeon soft cases
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:52:15 PM »

I have a Professional Melodeon Gig Bag from Acorn Instruments, for my Castagnari Dony. I find it absolutely perfect for my needs....look here: http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?accessories
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 11:30:25 PM »

I have one of those too, and also recommend it (not for the first time on melnet)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »

I have a couple of Fusellis and they are good. The backstraps are comfortable and adjustable.

The Soundwear looks good but strikes me as very expensive.

BTW I can't imagine in what circumstances more padding would be of use in a soft case. A thicker layer of foam isn't going to provide much protection against a serious impact. (The "ultimate protection" claimed in the Acorn ad is a a bit of joke. If you want real protection, you need a flight case.)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »

BTW I can't imagine in what circumstances more padding would be of use in a soft case.

It will reduce the impact force on the instrument if it hits the floor or a wall (longer deceleration distance).
It will spread the force over a wider area of the instrument (and hence reduce the force per unit area) if the case hits a sharp corner or edge.
What it wont do is give you any protection if you stand on it, run a car over it or it's otherwise squashed between two heavy objects.

Even a flight case won't give you protection against impacts unless it's padded, preferably with a profile that matches the shape of the instrument and the thicker the better. It will then give far better protection than a soft case, of course.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »

I have an Acorn gig bag and it is excellent.
The zips are good quality and substantial. It also has clips and straps so to my mind it is a 'just in case' thing if I don't do the zips up properly!
It has two shoulder straps and a pair of carrying handles, plus a large zipped pocket for music etc.
Pete at Acorn can recommend an appropriate size.
Thoroughly recommended.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »

The Acorn gig bags are made by Fusili and they are indeed excellent. I have a couple of them.
Very well made, robust and well padded. The strong, chunky, steel zips are a really good feature - unlikely to break or disintegrate, unlike the plastic zips used on cheaper products.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »

It's great that so many members can really recommend these bags so enthusiastically. Surely, no other bag can com(Pete)?
It's like the untold number of recommendations for Mr Marshall's goods and service, I've bought from him on several occasions and was thoroughly satisfied, too.
Melnet is truly a fantastic resource!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »

Thanks Steve, I was fairly sure Pete had said they were made by Fusilli now you've confirmed it.

Winston, yes I think they are that good. There are cheaper ones out there, but I want to be able to carry my beloved boxes safely. Their build quality reassures me, hence the enthusiasm!
As you say, a firm favourite for those that own them.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »

BTW lads & lasses, fusilli are a kind of twirly pasta. The name of the bag manufacturer is Fuselli.

@Anahata: I get the scientific explanation about extra padding, thank you. But has anyone tried testing the theory by bashing accordions against a wall inside different soft cases? I didn't think so (:) In 15 years of lugging boxes around in soft cases I haven't dropped one or had anybody strike one with a blunt object... and if I had I'm not convinced that a few mm of foam would have made a difference. So I'm happy with the thickness of foam in a FuseElli - and it would seem you are too if Acorn bags are made by them.  :|glug

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »

Thanks Stiamh…. it's early on a sunday morning here, so brain not well and truly engaged  ;)
Q
( yawn )
Thrupenny Bit

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »

My most frequent mishap is putting the box/bag down too heavily. So I add an inch layer of high density foam in the bottom of any gig bag I use.
I presently have an oversize Hohner PA bag, the expectation being that I could carry Morris kit and refreshments in the same bag as the box. But it's very heavy and I find it easier to carry the other stuff in another rucksac anyway.
So I will be getting one of Pete's bags when I get around to it.
Just need to work out where to clip the tankard.  :|glug
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:56 AM »

BTW lads & lasses, fusilli are a kind of twirly pasta. The name of the bag manufacturer is Fuselli.

@Anahata: I get the scientific explanation about extra padding, thank you. But has anyone tried testing the theory by bashing accordions against a wall inside different soft cases? I didn't think so (:) In 15 years of lugging boxes around in soft cases I haven't dropped one or had anybody strike one with a blunt object... and if I had I'm not convinced that a few mm of foam would have made a difference. So I'm happy with the thickness of foam in a FuseElli - and it would seem you are too if Acorn bags are made by them.  :|glug

If you lend me one of your boxes I'll try this out.

I asked Pete a bit back and he confirmed that his bags are, indeed,  Fuselli.

I have a Fuselli bag. Never had any problems with damage inside the bag.
I do find the 2.4 row quite a tight fit, though.

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »

Malcolm: I've seen a comment from Theo somewhere, one of his reoccurring jobs is repairing melodeon grills where tankards have pushed them in...…
With one of Pete's bags you can always loop the tankard handle in the top strap which has a plastic quick release, therefore enabling you to get it off and to the bar first as these things matter  ;D
t also keeps the grill inside intact  ;)
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »

Quite right Q.  Filling up the space in a gig bad with spare clothing, or other soft items is fine, but tankards, microphones, whistles, or anything else hard should not go in the same compartment as the instrument.  They do cause damage.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »

I use an oversize Hohner soft rucksack, with a layer of high density foam in the bottom. I can get a soft case with 7 harmonicas in it down one side, and a Mac-in-a-sack as well. Then I have the side pocket for a folding brolly, and the large front pocket for other goodies. Altogether the best  solution for me. It also means that I can put any of my melodeons in it, 2 row, 3 row, Club, whatever, with an adjustment to what goes in with it, to suit the size of the box. Being able to carry it on my back makes life so much easier, than using a case, and so ending up with one arm longer than the other ;)

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »

Malcolm: I've seen a comment from Theo somewhere, one of his reoccurring jobs is repairing melodeon grills where tankards have pushed them in...…
With one of Pete's bags you can always loop the tankard handle in the top strap which has a plastic quick release, therefore enabling you to get it off and to the bar first as these things matter  ;D
t also keeps the grill inside intact  ;)
cheers
Q
;D ;D Tankard definitely on the outside! Only soft stuff goes inside.  :||:

I have a dent in the front of my Liliput grille where it toppled over on to my Morris bells :M, which were on the ground. Lesson learnt. One reason why I now keep the kit separate, and therefore (smoothly returning to topic) am planning on getting a Fuselli bag.

Tankard outside not only for quick access but to keep dregs and drips away from the box.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:50:09 PM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Bakerspace

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »

So does anyone know the internal dimensions of the fuselli bac0039 case (this is the 8-12 bass case that Acorn and others sell?  I can't find anything on the manufacturers website.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

Hopefully Pete will pop along shortly with the info
Q
Thrupenny Bit

ocajun

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »

Hi Paul,

Follow the link to Acorn Instruments. Click on the individual bag and you'll find the dimensions. If you can't squeeze it into the large melodeon bag (1cm short in one of the dimensions) I guess you'll need to go for the small accordion one and work out what soft items to fill up the extra space with. I'm using one of the old Music Room accordion bags for a Hohner Club IIIB and there's a fair bit of space. You don't necessarily need to fill it though.

Rod
Music from the swamps of Louisiana, the bogs of Ireland and the Moss of Balloch!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal