Discussions > Tunes

Hanter Dro timings

(1/2) > >>

Hugh Taylor:
Looking for some info from Breton music experts. I attended an excellent French dance and music workshop in Todmorden last Saturday, and danced and played a Hanter Dro. They all seem to written with a time signature of 3/4, but have a feel of 4 beats and 2 beats, making a count of 6, which sounds more like 3/2 to me. Have I got this wrong?

Pearse Rossa:
See here.

Gary P Chapin:
I've seen them notated both ways, but they are definitely played as 3/2. 1-2-2-2-3-2

This is one reason AnDro/HanterDros don't have the pushme/pullyou of odd time signatures. Moving from a series of 3 twos to a series of 2 twos is interesting (good tunes!), but isn't discombobulating (sorry for the technical terms) as a 5/4.

ursamyna:
Don't obsess about about the printed time signature, think about the stepping of the dance. The hanter dro is left-right-left (pause) left, --  counting sort of 1and2 (-) 4.  I suggest you get that stepping pattern firmly in your head before playing.
The  tunes/dances that have alternating patterns  are probably for a tricot, not a standard hanter dro.
Have a look at   http://dansal.gwalarn.org/hanterdro.html    ( but watch out,  G and D aren't notes, they mean Gauche and Droit- left foot and right foot).
For real confusion try a five step waltz, there's only one person with whom I have managed to dance that!!

ursamyna:
that should be left-right-left (pause) - RIGHT.   Obviously brain fade has set in and I should go to bed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version