Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: coil springs  (Read 2345 times)

mselic

coil springs
« on: October 21, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »

I've been experimenting with coil springs on the button levers in the keyboard mechanisms of one-rows.  The stiffness of a spring can easily be reduced by prying between the coils with something like a flat-head screwdriver, and the same springs can then be tightened back up again by holding each end the spring with pliers and twisting it back in on itself (yes, I realize that doing this over and over again isn't ideal for the life of a spring, but I'm experimenting...) This has allowed me to try out what different spring tension feels like on the buttons and how it relates to keyboard action.  I can make them have a very light touch or a rather stiff feel, and everything in between.  I've found that if you go too soft, the actions isn't quite as "crisp", whereas if they are too hard, well, that's just more work...there is usually a happy medium.

What I'm wondering about is this: let's say I get a particular set of springs, of a particular diameter with x number of coils, and I set them up to get a certain amount of tension on the buttons that I like.  If i get a different set of springs, made from a different diameter and with a different number of coils, and I set them up to get a similar amount of tension, will the end result be the same? Or would the feel of the springs be different, even if they have been set up to achieve the same amount of tension?  I ask this because I've noticed just how different coils springs and button action can feel from one instrument to another of similar design/dimensions.  I'm wondering if the size/shape/etc of the springs makes any real difference there, or if they are simply enacting a particular amount of tension/force regardless of those factors.  I'm hoping my question makes sense...
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Re: coil springs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »

For the sake of consistency I would experiment with making them from scratch. The variables would be wire material and diameter and number of turns. If is quite easy to make a winding tool.
Tiposx

tirpous

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »

I would say the spring with larger wire and/or smaller diameter coil will apply more "come back home" force as it gets stretched further. 

mselic

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 04:03:47 AM »

Here's an update, for those that it may interest: I experimented with larger coil springs (springs with both a larger wire and larger coil diameter) and I managed to get a very light touch on the buttons but still retain the "snappiness" that I desired on the one-row.  So to answer my own question, differently sized springs will behave differently even if they have been adjusted to both require the same amount of pressure to lift the pallet off the board.  The smaller springs allowed the pallets to lift easily, but were somewhat sluggish in their return, resulting in what I would describe as "mushy" playing.  The larger springs allowed the pallets to lift just as easily, but their return was quicker and more immediate, resulting in a crisper sound and feel.

I realize for some this may all sound like obsessing over minute details, but for me it completely transformed my instrument!  I am happy that I was able to replicate on my own instrument the feel and action of keyboards that I liked in others.  Anyhow, information to share for those who care!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:05:35 AM by mselic »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:42:22 AM »

"Here's an update, for those that it may interest:"

It certainly interests me, as far as I'm concerned this type of posting is a main part of why I love this site. Thanks mselic, and keep them coming!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »

Did you ever experiment with making a coil spring shorter to get more tension ?
I’m thinking of ways to make my one row a bit tighter, I don’t see how I could or can spread the nails future apart with out being to close to the edges, if I wanted to go that route ( I don’t). Wondering if its easy enough to take out a coil or two of the end and rebend the loop?
Wish I had an extra to experiment with.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 06:40:20 PM »

Yes cut off a coil and bend a new loop.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 06:43:33 PM »

Yes cut off a coil and bend a new loop.
Thank you Theo, I’ll give it a go
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

mselic

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »

Yes, cutting off a coil as Theo has described is the way to go. If you’re not happy with the results, you can then also begin experimenting with coil springs of a thicker wire gauge.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 08:12:38 PM »

After you have cut off the loop place the spring flat on the bench and put two thin knife blades between the first and second coil.
Push one blade away from you and with the other blade bend back until flat on the bench forming a new loop.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

chris hall

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 08:28:01 PM »

this is very interesting.....i have 6 acadians and they all feel different yet they all have the same springs? so what ive been wondering is do springs age? if one accordion has 50 year old springs (one of mine has) and another has 10 year old springs ..even if they are adjusted to feel as close as possible to the same tension will the age of the spring make a difference to snapiness and smoothness across the range of button travel. Or to put it another way do springs (even if they are adjusted as good as possible) have shelf life like wax and valves. Should they be replaced after a certain life span and will this give the keyboard a fresher feel? Im no metallurgist but all that bending after 10 or 20 years is bound to change the metal in some way i guess? Id be reluctant to try and make coil springs , very fiddly and difficult to get coils uniform. In any case long coils can be obtained very cheap on ebay and cut up into coils of the desired length. But when making springs for the bass end ive found the following all make a difference....thickness of wire /number of coils /diameter of coil / length of arms /angle created by the 2 arms. there may even be a difference depending on where you buy the wire and whether it comes straight or packed in a coil. And of course ones made on friday afternoon never seem to work as well!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 08:38:31 PM »

Spring steel does weaken and snap. I don't think that time alone is a factor, but repeated compression/expansion/bending certainly is. Coil and leaf springs on motors give up now and then, as do spring steel reeds in our instruments.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:17 PM »

After you have cut off the loop place the spring flat on the bench and put two thin knife blades between the first and second coil.
Push one blade away from you and with the other blade bend back until flat on the bench forming a new loop.
Took me a few minutes of (ok now what ),  after I cut the loop off but I did exactly that (:) only adding that I nailed it ( the spring ) on one end to a board, divided the coils with Swiss army at point of new bend, slipped a very thin putty knife to the side I was keeping held the coils in place and bent the loop with the knife. Cut off any extra coils if needed. I took four off mine it’s better, Worked great!! The nail in board was to keep the loop in line with new bend, plus it kinda held it as I worked the other tools.

Thanks all!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 09:43:32 PM »

What a coincidence! I use a Swiss Army knife and a putty knife.
Nail in board, good idea.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

tirpous

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 10:22:15 PM »

this is very interesting.....i have 6 acadians and they all feel different yet they all have the same springs? so what ive been wondering is do springs age?

There may be other factors accounting for the difference (ex: spring is the same but the distance between anchor points is not).  Maybe swapping springs between 2 boxes would tell you ?  From my - admittedly limited - experience, springs do age and eventually break, especially if of small size or poor metal.  But there are also 100-year-old boxes with original springs still going strong, so...

Simple solution to your different feel problem, Chris: give me 5 of your 6 Acadians !  After that, all your Acadians will have the same feel !!!  ;)

Just kidding of course.  Are they all in different keys ?? 

I have one in D, which had very hard snappy action, to the extent that the original owner developed hand problems and sold it.  I bought it from someone else and replaced the springs because I was beginning to have problems too.   

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 11:09:50 PM »

What a coincidence! I use a Swiss Army knife and a putty knife.
Nail in board, good idea.
😄

chris hall

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »

Are they all in different keys ?? 

I have one in D, which had very hard snappy action, to the extent that the original owner developed hand problems.

yes. one in D that i had made back in the 80's. another in D that was in C but i converted to D because my original D was a bit thin sounding. then i "inherited" a D from a friend who passed away. so thats 3 in D. one in G i just bought. one in C i bought in the 90's. then along came another in C that was so beat up it was almost scrap but i did a total rebuild. is that six? plus a master in C and an international in C and a globe in A and so it goes on.....i dont get hand problems any more...started on a hohner and that built up the finger strength, then moved to acadians. I used to like a heavy action but nowadays im all for a lighter action but sometimes you lose the snap.....thats why im curious about springs. i want light and fast with an easy tension with a fast return...maybe too much to ask but curiously two of my boxes have it and its hard to say why!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 01:03:34 AM »

My Beltuna is about 160g, the box I built is now about 140g.
Compared to this chart.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,23700.msg304479.html#msg304479

Edit to add correction:  Beltuna after further testing on the keyboard it is really closer to 140g
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:23:34 PM by boxcall »

tirpous

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 11:51:38 PM »

Compared to this chart.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,23700.msg304479.html#msg304479

This reminds me that I never measured my 'too hard' Acadian after replacing the springs with softer ones.  I did just now, and it's at about 110g,  half the original 220 g.

This is probably borderline-soft: still adequately fast and responsive but in agressive playing if I hit (rather than depress) a key hard, it sometimes bottoms out with an annoying wood-on-wood clacking noise.  Also, pushing real hard on the bellows with no key pressed produces a soft wheezing sound: front of pallets lifting slightly and all H reeds singing together.  No problem in regular play, but I plan to shorten the springs eventually. 

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 02:58:37 AM »

I had a 100 g weight and it moved/ opened the pallet quite easily on the box I made prior to adjusting to the 140g range. Now 140g just starts to open pallets.
And i had a bit air noise on the push before adjustments also.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal