Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play across the row on a B/C?  (Read 5259 times)

up-fiddler

• Good talker
    • Fine Linen Literary Journal
Re: Play across the row on a B/C?
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »

I don't think anyone is listening to your original question any longer, Dave. What you see here is a bunch of B/Cers commiserating and trying to convince themselves and everyone else they are not crazy...

Quite honestly, I have enjoyed reading through the various commiserations. No matter which box we play I believe that button box players are a breed apart. Revel in our various oddities.  :o
d/g Tommy, c/f Hug & Co., c/f Corso, g/c/f Corona II, Weltmeister a/d/g, Lachenal 24 button anglo, Morse 30 button anglo, Star Chemnitzer, Lange Chemnitzer, too many fiddles and mandolins to list

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »

I have it on good authority that the B/C box was the inspiration for the Enigma encoding machine.  Apart from looking similar, the machines share the ability to convert perfectly logical input into indecipherable output.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

george garside

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 07:58:33 PM »

;D
g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

KLR

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:43 AM »

It's always worthwhile to try a tune in a different key, many of those A tunes on the B/C will kick a little more butt in G.  Athol Highlanders is a good example, the barrage of pull notes in the fourth part takes some managing, you have to learn to drop down for the pull B for any relief, which is awkward, as is the A3e ecA part.  Try that in G and it picks up a bit in the punch department.  To me Amaj works too well in B/C.  The 3 row fixes these problems big time, the Irish reel Boys of Malin is another tune that is a lot more simple when you have the push C# to use in its 3rd part - Aece Aece Aece d2cB | Aece Aece BABc d2cB.  But you have to be saddled with the heavy PA bass side and its attendant extra weight/expense, smaller old instruments are hard to find, etc., so it's no surprise it never really took off in Irish trad circles.

I'm not exaggerating about how dim a view we take of Amaj.  Joe Burke, about the most influential player of the 20th century, never recorded note one in Amaj.  Other box players from the 70s-90s seem little more interested in A, this is the B/C players of course.  Maybe they're a bit less shy of it now, I don't know.  Some tunes aren't such a headache in A, too. 

george garside

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »

just as an example of the difference the 3rd row on BCC# makes --I find it virtually impossible to play soldiers joy (in D) at anything like normal speed on a BC but can go indecently fast on the BCC# - and that  down to using just one button on the inside row.

I totally agree in it being worth playing a tune in a different key and just as  interesting practce or a bit of fun I like  to regularly play most tunes in other than their usual keys .  It can also help to provide key changes when playing sets to provide a bit of lift

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Gromit

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »

I find it virtually impossible to play soldiers joy (in D) at anything like normal speed on a BC but can go indecently fast on the BCC#

That's interesting - not a tune I know but just run through it from sheet music in Dmaj (on a B/C) and can't see any tricky bit, which button on the inside row makes it easier?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »

I find it virtually impossible to play soldiers joy (in D) at anything like normal speed on a BC but can go indecently fast on the BCC#

That's interesting - not a tune I know but just run through it from sheet music in Dmaj (on a B/C) and can't see any tricky bit, which button on the inside row makes it easier?

It's the F# (Gromit, lad  (:)) which is on the pull on a C# row.

Joe Burke, about the most influential player of the 20th century, never recorded note one in Amaj.

Well he's a special case. About the only thing I really envy B/C players is the ability to play more easily in G dorian and Dm than you can on a C#/D. Dowd's Favourite is a bit of a fetish tune with me and a lot more convenient to play in the usual key of Gdor on a B/C than on a C#/D. So I was intrigued to see a Comhaltas clip of a student of Joe Burke student playing this particular tune on a B/C. To my great surprise he didn't play it in Gdor, but in an easier key - possibly Am.

Edited to tone down rash use of language :(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:26:55 PM by Stiamh »

JohnS

• Good talker
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »

I guess when you're Joe Burke you can play in any key you like and no-one is going to tell you that you are wrong. ;)

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2018, 08:58:40 PM »

Joe Burke, about the most influential player of the 20th century...

He still is a major influence, in the 21st century!
If mankind and Irish box playing survive to the 30th century (and beyond), musicians will still
refer to JB.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:10:49 AM by Pearse Rossa »

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2018, 10:52:20 PM »

I meant no disrespect to JB, although I see my earlier remarks [now deleted] must have come across that way. Apologies to all.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:35:31 AM by Stiamh »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal