Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Hohner Accordion  (Read 3463 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Need Help Identifying Hohner Accordion
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 12:21:32 AM »

Thanks for helping, to answer a few questions.  All the reeds have markings but some are upside down from the others.  It is solid wood where the grill hold downs screw in, the pictures are not very clear that I took with my phone.  It is tuned C/F and all the reed notes are as they should be.
By 'upside down', I'm guessing that you mean the reed plates are reversed end for end, as is shown in your photos: the highest (smallest) reed plates are mounted the opposite way round, so that the rivet end of the reed plate is furthest from the reed chamber opening. This is normal practice and is done to improve the response of the smallest reeds, which would otherwise be more prone to a delayed start or even failing to sound.

It's also normal practice for the highest pitched reeds to not have valves fitted, also as shown in your photos. If you intend replacing the valves (as will be necessary; the existing valves are old and curled), don't fit valves to these small reed plates, they never had them in the first place.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

William C Pruitt

Re: Need Help Identifying Hohner Accordion
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 02:11:27 AM »

Steve, thanks for the response. Yes flipped end for end on the reeds.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal