Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In defence of the Hohner Liliput  (Read 1748 times)

Barry Spaul

In defence of the Hohner Liliput
« on: October 26, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »

I recently purchased a couple of Hohner Liliputs, lovely examples of high quality 1930’s German engineering. However I was slightly perturbed by the common accusation that they were produced specifically to aid the Nazi war effort by facilitating jolly singsongs on the Eastern front. I can acknowledge that given the usual colour scheme of “field grey” including webbing/straps people may be given to that point of view. Initially I was suspicious that the start of the production run was 1935, the year the Nazis came to power, this seems to imply that they gave it equal status with the “people car” and motorways as a first priority? The earliest associations with the Liliput were with a “hiking” lifestyle and I could see how this might have been part of a program of getting youth fit for war, but that seemed to be stretching the association of Liliputs and Nazis.  My suspicions were vindicated when I came across this learned article https://timeline.com/hitler-youth-nazi-germany-hiking-29a3ac1c7b3d which highlighted something I never knew, the Nazi’s actually made “hiking” illegal and by association frowned upon  anything associated with the hiking lifestyle. This leads me to the logical conclusion that Liliputs are in fact anti-Nazi in nature and I should in fact follow one of my hero’s Pete Seeger in painting on the side of my box https://goo.gl/images/2oBWJY

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: In defence of the Hohner Liliput
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »

It doesn't matter about how, when or where it was made, a musical instrument is innocent and indifferent to any connotations we humans try to put on it.
The important thing is to use it as a tool to aid and deliver your own musical expression, thoughts and beliefs.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »

I completely agree with both Seeger's sentiments. The one on the banjo skin obviously applies particularly where that instrument is concerned!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »

Liliputs don't need defending. Liliputs are incapable of political affiliation - just as they are incapable of driving a car, baking a souffle or directing a light opera.

They are wonderful machines - although granted they might smell a bit - and should be appreciated for what they are regardless of the (real or perceived) ideology of those may may have made and played them.

Hurrah for Liliputs and let's leave politics out of this forum. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:20:02 PM by Helena Handcart »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »

My suspicions were vindicated when I came across this learned article https://timeline.com/hitler-youth-nazi-germany-hiking-29a3ac1c7b3d

I know I'm old-fashioned, but these days I think its more important than ever to read internet articles with a good dose of scepticism.  In my educated opinion this timeline.com piece is not a "learned article": there are no references to peer reviewed sources, the author apparently lacks relevant formal qualifications, the writing lacks academic rigour ...   
I'll get off my hobbyhorse now.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »

Liliputs don't need defending. Liliputs are incapable of political affiliation - just as they are incapable of driving a car, baking a souffle or directing a light opera.

They are wonderful machines - although granted they might smell a bit - and should be appreciated for what they are regardless of the (real or perceived) ideology of those who may have made and played them.

Hurrah for Liliputs and let's leave politics out of this forum.
Yes - what Helena said.

(minor corrections added!)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »

Are you sure you're not over reacting to a light hearted post?

I drive a VW (people's car). Maybe I should start analysing my inner motivation.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 11:37:11 AM »

Oooooh!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

Are you sure you're not over reacting to a light hearted post?

Sorry Barry, I plead guilty to taking your post too seriously ... the Wandervogel between the wars are really interesting to me, and I'd like to learn more about them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal