Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Green Machine  (Read 2960 times)

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
The Green Machine
« on: October 26, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »

IMG_8447 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

Alright, I'm hoping that this is the right section to post my build thread. There will be some repetition from my intro but that's how it goes. Here is the quick and dirty story with this melodion. It belonged to my girl's grandfather, who used to play it to her mom way back when. It got shelved for 50 years or so and now I'm going to bring it back. Initially I thought that I would change the key but now I think that I'll just leave it as an AD. It's a personal project and I understand that most people might not put the effort into something so old but I'm not most people. I've also been warned away from re-valving and re-waxing but I'm hoping that with a bit or guidance here that I will be able to pull it off.

Here's my to-do list:

Find an unbroken finger board
Make treble button stop (Theo's method looks like a winner)
replace bass buttons (anyone have a set?)
shoulder strap
possibly seal bellows? they are very worn but actually may not leak
paddle felt
re-valve and wax existing reeds
new grill would be nice but it is literally at the bottom of the list

So as you can see...just everything. Good luck to me.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: The Green Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »

Find an unbroken finger board - http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/inst.cfm?instID=25
Make treble button stop (Theo's method looks like a winner) - Correct
replace bass buttons (anyone have a set?) - http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Hohner_Parts.html#72

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »

Pokerwork Grille, easily obtained, should fit that fine.
Refacing pallets is an easy job, as is revalving. Waxing is a bit more skilled, but all it needs is a bit of practice.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 05:47:50 PM »

Find an unbroken finger board - http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/inst.cfm?instID=25
replace bass buttons (anyone have a set?) - http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Hohner_Parts.html#72

Thanks Lester, good links. Would you say that my box is the same as a Pokerwork as far as interchange goes? It would be nice to know what I'm supposed to call it.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »

Thanks Lester, good links. Would you say that my box is the same as a Pokerwork as far as interchange goes? It would be nice to know what I'm supposed to call it.

The parts are all interchangeable except the reedbock/fondo gasket which, on the box you have is most probably on the blocks whereas on younger boxes it will be on the fondo.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »

You didn't mention tuning. The reeds will have to be tuned after revalving and waxing.
Before revalving and waxing, the reeds will need cleaning and checking for any malfunction or faults.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »

You didn't mention tuning. The reeds will have to be tuned after revalving and waxing.
Before revalving and waxing, the reeds will need cleaning and checking for any malfunction or faults.

Oh right, thanks. It was on my mind list. I'm hoping that the search function on the forum will be my friend. I'll need a lot of guidance for performing these tasks. I'm pretty excited about taking it on.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »

It might be tuned to 435 rather than 440.  If you see 870 stamped on the blocks it’s 435.  If you see 880 it’s 440, if neither it’s probably 440.   It’s eadier to tune up from 435 to 440 by pre-tuning before you fit the reeds,  but it can be done afterwards, just takes a bit longer.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »

It might be tuned to 435 rather than 440.  If you see 870 stamped on the blocks it’s 435.  If you see 880 it’s 440, if neither it’s probably 440.   It’s eadier to tune up from 435 to 440 by pre-tuning before you fit the reeds,  but it can be done afterwards, just takes a bit longer.

Pretty sure it is stamped 435. Is this sort of tuning a doable task for the average human?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »

If you want to learn tuning you would be advised to practice first on some reeds that don’t matter if you damage them. Most people can learn to tune, same as most people can learn any skill,  but it takes time and practice.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »

Don’t rely on notation to determine the 'concert' (reference) pitch. You need to work that out for yourself with a tuner... but check the bass side, which will be centred on the ref pitch. You can then determine the tuning scheme of the treble side.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »

Did you notice that Pete's replacement fingerboard (as recommended by Lester)  comes with material to limit the treble action?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »

If you keep your eyes open on sites like Ebay and Gumtree you might see another old Honer come up cheap that you could cannabalise for the missing bits. It does happen and it's nice to have parts that match the period.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »

Did you notice that Pete's replacement fingerboard (as recommended by Lester)  comes with material to limit the treble action?

I saw that. No prices listed for that one which makes me a bit nervous. The other one listed is 28 pounds I think.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »

If you keep your eyes open on sites like Ebay and Gumtree you might see another old Honer come up cheap that you could cannabalise for the missing bits. It does happen and it's nice to have parts that match the period.

There's actually one up right now missing reed blocks. By the time it landed here it would be over $150.00. There is a BC Erica at my local pawn shop that has been there a long time. Asking $300.00 I might see if I can talk him down. Looks very similar except the grill. I think reed blocks may be different too.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »

I saw that. No prices listed for that one which makes me a bit nervous. The other one listed is 28 pounds I think.

No need to be nervous. Pete's replacement fingerboards are excellent quality and Pete himself is a thoroughly good chap, well known to many of us on this forum.
If there are no prices quoted on the Acorn website at the moment, I suggest you give Pete a call or e-mail to check the price and current availability.
info@acorninstruments.co.uk
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »

"There's actually one up right now missing reed blocks."

Could you post a link for that one please, Pat?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hohner-Leather-Vienna-2-row-Accordion-button-box-Germany-no-treble-reeds/283219113102?hash=item41f12cb48e

Sorry, I'm crappy at doing the hyper link thing. Hope this works. Very similar to my parts CF

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hohner-Leather-Vienna-2-row-Accordion-button-box-Germany-no-treble-reeds/283219113102?hash=item41f12cb48e

Sorry, I'm crappy at doing the hyper link thing. Hope this works. Very similar to my parts CF
[/quote

The link works fine thanks...can't help but feel the seller may be being a tad optimistic....

On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »

That seems a high price for something in such poor condition and with no treble reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal