Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G/C Laura, a reed has stopped sounding - HELP!  (Read 1488 times)

arty

G/C Laura, a reed has stopped sounding - HELP!
« on: November 03, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »

My G/C Castagnari Laura is sick! The highest note on the pull of the G row has stopped sounding.

I have tried 'pumping' the bellows hard, as I have done before, with success but this time it didn't work. So, I took a deep breath today and opened up the box for the first time. I took the pins out, took the reed block out, gently lifted the smallest reed with the tip of a scalpel, pinged it, blew into it, prayed over it, then I did it all over again to make sure and put the box back together again. It was easy and I wondered why I was so tense.

But it didn't work, the reed still doesn't sound. Did I forget to do something? Should I just try again? Is there something else I can do? Maybe I didn't pray hard enough  ;) Help !
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: G/C Laura, a reed has stopped sounding - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »

Sounds like the reed may be cracked, sadly

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »

No I don’t think the reed is cracked,  if you pinged the reed that you can see then it was the wrong one.  The pull reeds are on the inside of the block.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »

As Theo says, the pull reeds are on the inside. Also, the Laura is a two voice instrument so if that note is completely silent then you have two reeds not sounding.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

arty

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 09:14:38 PM »

OK...I will open it up again tomorrow.

I took the reed block out and pinged the reeds on either side of it. So, you are saying that there are 2 more reeds inside the block that I didn't see? How do I get to them and ping them? Sorry if I seem completely stupid but I have never done this before!

As you will understand Rees, I am wanting to learn to do this myself, in order to avoid the hoo haa we had with HM Customs last time I sent the box to you!

Thank you for your replies  (:)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »

Arty, as a fellow numpty when it comes to sorting boxes, I understand your pain and anxiety.
This has happened 2-3 times on my Tommy/Hascy.
It sounds like you did everything right, but as Theo suggests it was the wrong reed.
Take heart, have another go just try another reed!
Good luck
Q

Ah you've replied.
Good luck tomorrow.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »

With the reed block remove look into the vents on the underside of the block.  With a good light you should be able to see the reeds that play on draw.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

arty

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »

OK, thank you Theo. I am beginning to see the light! There are a couple of helpful videos on YouTube.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »

Best of luck. Stay away from customs and excise.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 01:20:53 AM »

The reeds for highest notes on the Laura (in common with many instruments) do not have valves fitted, so it is easy to get to the inside (pull) reeds. The pull reed tongue will be visible through the slot in the reed plate. The clearance between the reed tongues and the sides of the slot are very small in these highest reeds and can be prone to getting a bit of dust or dirt wedged, which stops the reed from sounding.

To clear the pull reed, use a cocktail stick poked down through the slot to just ease the reed tongue down and up a few times. You may need to shave the point of the cocktail stick just a little to make it thin enough. You could also use the end of a straightened paper clip; the steel is soft enough not to damage the harder steel of the reed tongue. The reed tongues of these high notes are small and delicate, so take care - only a millimetre or so of movement is needed. This should clear any dust, especially if you blow gently down the slot at the same time (try not to spit!). Reassemble and test to see if the reed is sounding. If not, repeat the procedure.

The other possibility for a non-sounding reed is that the reed tongue set (the gap) has become so reduced that the reed will not start. Again, pushing down though the slot with the cocktail stick very gently and carefully will help reset the gap.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grape Ape

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 01:40:45 AM »

Give me courage. I have been having similar problems with my Gaillard, except it’s a couple of reeds. The odd thing is, when I let it sit for a bit one or two reeds lock up- one on the M setting, the other on the L setting.  If I “blast” the notes between single and LM settings, the reeds then play fine until the next time...?

arty

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »

Steve, you are a star! Thank you very much for your instruction, I hope I can sort it out. At least, now I know that opening up the box and taking the reed block out is not a problem.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks all 😊

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »

Messing with well-loved instruments can be nerve wracking, but if you don't go at it like a bull in a china shop, you shouldn't do any permanent damage. Be gentle, as if you were handling one of your children, and you'll be fine.
(If you want, I can lend you one of my big hammers!)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »

I had a similar problem with my Castagnari Lilly, but highest note on the press. It was a minute piece of wax or similar. I used a thin feeler gauge to dislodge it. Having read Steve's post above, I see this could cause a problem as feeler gauges are probably harder than the reeds and blocks and could cause damage, so care was needed.

Could I ask, why do the high notes do not have valves? It was a bit disconcerting at first when I opened the box to see them missing.
. . .

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 05:12:49 PM »

I had a similar problem with my Castagnari Lilly, but highest note on the press. It was a minute piece of wax or similar. I used a thin feeler gauge to dislodge it. Having read Steve's post above, I see this could cause a problem as feeler gauges are probably harder than the reeds and blocks and could cause damage, so care was needed.

Could I ask, why do the high notes do not have valves? It was a bit disconcerting at first when I opened the box to see them missing.

A feeler gauge is Ok for this sort of job as a steady or 'pinger'. So long as you are reasonably careful, you won't do any scratching damage.

Edit: beware of using the feeler gauge inserted vertically along the long edge of the reed tongue in order to clear any debris. You risk shifting the reed tongue out of alignment so that the opposite long edge comes into contact with the slot edge and hence stopping the reed from sounding. Up and down movement with the feeler gauge or cocktail stick, etc., is OK, but not side to side.

The purpose of valves on the reed plates is to prevent air loss through the 'wrong' side of the reed plate through the gap between the reed tongue and the slot.  However, the smallest reeds have only a tiny gap around the sides of the reed tongue with minimal consequential air leakage, insufficient to require a valve. In fact, to install a valve on these reeds is actually counter-productive as it will tend to mute the sound which is already quiet, compared with the larger reeds.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:29:54 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »

You might also find that the reeds are the other way up, which is very usual. First time I saw it, I thought there was a mistake.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »

You might also find that the reeds are the other way up, which is very usual. First time I saw it, I thought there was a mistake.

Indeed. Discussed recently here.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal