Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor Young Collins  (Read 5892 times)

Robin Tims

• Good talker
Minor Young Collins
« on: November 05, 2018, 04:27:39 PM »

Young Collins is of course a very well known Morris tune but I am intrigued about mentions of the 'minor' version.

Before I reach for the dot-writing software does anyone have any pointers about key sigs and dots please ? My 'boxes' are D/G but I can also use C/G Anglo or English Concertinas.

Thanks and Regards

Rob
Castagnari Clovis D/G. Irish Conc Co 'Eiru' C/G. Wheatstone Aeola 48b English Treble. Weltmeister Rubin 60 Bass P. Accordion.

JD

• Regular debater
Re: Minor Young Collins
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »

There is a version of Young Collins works in B minor (I think) on the G row of a D/G melodeon. It's the version that Roger Watson played on the LP "English Melodeon Players". Southdown Morris danced to it.
But, a quick look through Handbook of Morris Dancing hasn't found the music. It isn't the Bledington, Longborough or Oddington versions.

Maybe that will jog somebody's memory or I can try to transcribe if it doesn't turn up.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »

There is a version of Young Collins works in B minor (I think) on the G row of a D/G melodeon. It's the version that Roger Watson played on the LP "English Melodeon Players". Southdown Morris danced to it.
But, a quick look through Handbook of Morris Dancing hasn't found the music. It isn't the Bledington, Longborough or Oddington versions.

Maybe that will jog somebody's memory or I can try to transcribe if it doesn't turn up.

Is this the one you have in mind?

X: 1
T:Young Collins, Bledington 2
Q:120
M:2/2
L:1/8
A:Bledington
P:A(AB)4
K:BPhr
P:A
|:BBde g2e2|f2a2 d3f|g2g2 a2gf|e2d2 B4:|
P:B
|:A2G2 ABc2|d2d2 B3d|e2d2 efg2|a2a2 g4 |
  BBde g2e2|f2a2 d3f|g2g2 a2gf|e2d2 B4:|

It's in the the Phrygian mode of B (ie 1#).
From the Morris Ring collection.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »

Thank you both for responding so quickly.

A quick play through (on our piano !!) seems very promising but I would like to to compare with the only three audio recordings I can find so far. Brian Peters 'sample' from Anglophilia, Clive Williams on YouTube, and another on here whose name escapes me for the moment but played very sensitively)

The chording is a bit beyond me at the moment but it is at least do-able on a D/G which must be a clue.

Cheers,

Rob
Castagnari Clovis D/G. Irish Conc Co 'Eiru' C/G. Wheatstone Aeola 48b English Treble. Weltmeister Rubin 60 Bass P. Accordion.

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »

Yes, that is indeed the one, brilliant, thank you again.

....and the player whose name I could not recall just now was 'Eshed' with a link in 'Visiting the Uk' under General Discussion, really nice version too.

Cheers again.

Rob

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 10:14:44 PM »

A quick play through (on our piano !!) seems very promising but I would like to to compare with the only three audio recordings I can find so far. Brian Peters 'sample' from Anglophilia, Clive Williams on YouTube, and another on here whose name escapes me for the moment but played very sensitively)

The chording is a bit beyond me at the moment but it is at least do-able on a D/G which must be a clue.
On a D/G you don't have a pull D so you have to switch the bass note (same as Roger Watson does) from E to B on the D in the first bar. In my video I'm playing a club which is how I can sustain the E (actually C in my case, as I play a Bb/Eb) bass.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »

Ah, good point Eshed, thanks.

Rob

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:03:47 PM »

If I had not been in such a hurry (I should have been doing something else) I might have remembered this was the Bledington tune collected by the Travelling Morris. I do remember seeing Southdown Morris dance to this at Towersey maybe 25 years ago (maybe more). It was played by a teenage member of the side who played it exactly as Roger Watson played it on the record. I wonder what happened to him?

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 11:44:45 PM »

On a D/G you don't have a pull D so you have to switch the bass note (same as Roger Watson does) from E to B on the D in the first bar. In my video I'm playing a club which is how I can sustain the E (actually C in my case, as I play a Bb/Eb) bass.

Do you have a link to your recording, Eshed?
I find this tune fascinating, but confusing.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 12:50:53 AM »

Do you have a link to your recording, Eshed?
I find this tune fascinating, but confusing.

Here you go:  https://youtu.be/QZLYMzRRhyA
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 08:28:27 AM »

Thank you for the link. Love this tune. But it still confuses me.
Greg Smith

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:27:23 PM »

If I had not been in such a hurry (I should have been doing something else) I might have remembered this was the Bledington tune collected by the Travelling Morris. I do remember seeing Southdown Morris dance to this at Towersey maybe 25 years ago (maybe more). It was played by a teenage member of the side who played it exactly as Roger Watson played it on the record. I wonder what happened to him?

Would that be the same Roger Watson that wrote 'Handbook for English Concertina' I wonder ? I would love to hear that Melodeon LP.

Still looking at the tune. Wife not impressed by the vid clips, why spoil the good original Morris major one she says. I got hooked on this one slightly because we have recently been doing both Winster Gallop and The Fairy Dance in major and minor keys as add-ons for a Playford 'Ceilidh'.

Rob

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

What's confusing for you?  Not being familiar with the major version or the dance, I hear it "as is" and apart from resolving on the 5th it seems pretty straightforward.  Interesting tune and I suspect an equally interesting story/background to go with it.  Any such info available?
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »

Robin - The very same Roger Watson who wrote handbooks for English Concertina, Anglo Concertina and Melodeon.
This version of Young Collins was collected about 1890 from Charlie Benfield the fiddle player for Bledington at the time.
As far as I am aware English Melodeon Players was never released on CD. My vinyl copy is NOT for sale! However there is a recording of this tune on Danse Macabre by Florida featuring one GM Atkin on Guitar (Tim Bull on melodeon). That was released on CD. Maybe Gavin has a copy or two in the attic.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »

What's confusing for you?  Not being familiar with the major version or the dance, I hear it "as is" and apart from resolving on the 5th it seems pretty straightforward.  Interesting tune and I suspect an equally interesting story/background to go with it.  Any such info available?

The harmony is unexpected.
Greg Smith

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »

The harmony is unexpected.

That can happen!  And should it occur, I have to do some extra listening over a longer time until it clicks.  Unexpected harmonic structure is often what makes me interested, I guess.  In this case I am totally unencumbered by knowledge of any other versions and...ignorance is bliss, as the saying went.
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »

Get it while it's hot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edward-II-And-The-Red-Hot-Polkas-English-Melodeon-Players-Vinyl-LP/312236016019?hash=item48b2b78193:g:DdcAAOSwZB1blSRu

All I ask is a pirate copy...

Edit:

Tracks from the album are available through Amazon music.  Unfortunately for me, the Amazon music app requires iOs 10 minimum and my old iPad won't update past 9.1.  Saved a few bob there, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:00:18 PM by Dick Rees »
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »

Still looking at the tune. Wife not impressed by the vid clips, why spoil the good original Morris major one she says. .

Not wishing to be controversial, but a tune collected in the late 19th century from Charles Benfield seems pretty "original" to me. Personally I've always preferred the minor version (OK, I've got a bit of a thing for minor mode morris tunes), and I find the "usual" major version a bit tedious, to be honest; the Oddington tune is a great deal more appealing. And, although audiences seem to like it, there are MUCH better Bledington dances, IMHO. Just my opinion, FWIW.

(Retreats for cover and awaits flying brickbats!)

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »

Still looking at the tune. Wife not impressed by the vid clips, why spoil the good original Morris major one she says. .

Not wishing to be controversial, but a tune collected in the late 19th century from Charles Benfield seems pretty "original" to me. Personally I've always preferred the minor version (OK, I've got a bit of a thing for minor mode morris tunes), and I find the "usual" major version a bit tedious, to be honest; the Oddington tune is a great deal more appealing.

(Retreats for cover and awaits flying brickbats!)

Graham

Fair point GPS. Do we know how old the 'major' Bledington version is then ? (and personally I agree it can be a bit tedious)

As to the eBay record well spotted Dick Rees. That pic of the LP cover kick-started my memory of a cassette of the same which I actually had long ago and which eventually got mangled by the in-car player (as they sometimes did).

Do we know what key that Minor Young Collins was played in, the Bm or the Em ?

Rob

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »

Greg Smith

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal