Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new tune  (Read 1124 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
A new tune
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:43:04 PM »

Sorry but this is the only place I can post this without being off topic. Why? because it's in abc.  :o

The story is that I wrote this tune today but I'm riddled with angst whenever I 'write a tune' because I always think I'm drawing on subliminal memory, and I think I'm only rewriting something I've heard over the years. Whichever way you slice it there are only twelve notes in an octave (even temperament) and regardless of key that rather limits the number of permutations that are possible. Anyway, here's the tune. My wife spots a similarity to Michael Turner's Waltz apparently, others suggest that Cuckoo's Nest and Staten Island can be heard in the tune. What say you?

X:1
T:Romney Marsh Hornpipe, The
C:Pete Dunk
M:4/4
L:1/8
%%titlefont Helvetica, 22
%%subtitlefont Helvetica,16
%%composerfont Helvetica
%%partsfont Arial, 20
%%partsbox
%%gchordfont Arial, 16
%%barnumbers 0
%%MIDI program 73 % flute
%%MIDI chordprog 1 % piano
V:1 gchord=down
V:2
Q:1/4=130
K:G
P:A
DGA|:B2 cB A2d2|cBAG GFED|1G2 AB cBAG|A2 .d2 dcBA:|2GFGA d2 cA|B2 .G2 GABc||
P:B
|:.d2 dB .c2 cA|.B2 BG AFED|1EFGA Bcde|e2 .A2 AcBc:|2EDEF GFGc|B2.G2 G|]

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: A new tune
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 12:07:04 AM »

Sorry but this is the only place I can post this without being off topic. Why? because it's in abc.  :o

The story is that I wrote this tune today but I'm riddled with angst whenever I 'write a tune' because I always think I'm drawing on subliminal memory, and I think I'm only rewriting something I've heard over the years. Whichever way you slice it there are only twelve notes in an octave (even temperament) and regardless of key that rather limits the number of permutations that are possible. Anyway, here's the tune. My wife spots a similarity to Michael Turner's Waltz apparently, others suggest that Cuckoo's Nest and Staten Island can be heard in the tune. What say you?

Doesn't sound much like Michael Turner's, Cuck oos nest or Staten Island to me except in so far as it includes the classic  hornpipe dee dum dum last phrase. 

Dylan was never tortured by moral doubts like this, so why should you be? It's a great little tune with some very original twists. Only quibble I have is the given tempo. Sounded better to me at about 170/180 bpm, but it's hard to tell in a midi rendition.

Why not record it and post in theme of the month?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Pete, this topic is clearly a discussion of a tune and not a discussion about abc sonice moved it into the main “tunes” forum. It doesn’t matter that you don’t have a recording.  There are plenty of examples of topics here that just have tuned in abc.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »

There is a PDF and an mp3 of the tune here, the sound file is midi generated.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »

Nice tune, Pete. Enjoyable to play. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a quick recording for reference, but nothing special. I skipped over the 4 notes at the end of the A-part. Sorry for that mishap as it takes away the connection between the two parts.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/the-romney-marsh-hornpipe-take-1

If I were to re-record it, I'd play it with long basses and a bit softer overall.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »

Thanks for that Fred, it'll take about a month for me to learn to play it on a box, although it jogs along nicely on concertina.

Only quibble I have is the given tempo. Sounded better to me at about 170/180 bpm, but it's hard to tell in a midi rendition.

I think different abc software programs play back at different speeds, besides it's a hornpipe not a reel or a rant, I started out with it as an air at about 90 bpm but changed my mind as it developed.

Why not record it and post in theme of the month?

I'll see if I can learn to play it on a box in time!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

Thanks for that Fred, it'll take about a month for me to learn to play it on a box, although it jogs along nicely on concertina.

Just to be clear and to avoid any misunderstandings: I've played it on my D/G Loffet and not on a concertina.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

Yes I know Fred, I'm not a great box player and my main squeeze is an English concertina so I can play it on that far better than on a melodeon. Thanks again for taking the time to play it.  :D
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal