Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A trip to St Nicholas  (Read 822 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
A trip to St Nicholas
« on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »

This is a beautiful haunting tune, composed and played here by Paul Hutchinson, who has a wonderful style.
So I've been playing it all afternoon on a PA but then it occurred to me that it is playable on a melodeon. Mostly you can get the sonorous sustained bass. I don't have the dots but it's pretty straight forward to learn by ear. The A section is in Em, so pull Em and push Bm (pull out your third stops). then the other chord in the A section is Am, so you have to do a bit of jiggery pokery across the rows...but the notes are there. The B section is chord G followed by D, then back to the same pattern as the A section. All the fiddly runs can be done across the rows. It does sound nice on a melodeon...but Paul proves that the PA played in this style is also wonderful and a far cry from the awful elevator music some people play on PAs...  (:)
https://youtu.be/4-kheLXnVhY

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: A trip to St Nicholas
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »

Yes, indeed, a haunting tune.

Can imagine a night scenery on a renaissance castle:
He is on his knees and reaches out to her but - oh - she cannot come down to take his hand. She has to stay locked up in the tower and weep softly in the moonlight for she knows that no marital consortium will ever be possible between them. And thus only the thought of a distant world remains, a world in which they may be united forever.... as ghosts.

I'm off for now. :D

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:37:11 PM »

Yes, indeed, a haunting tune.

Can imagine a night scenery on a renaissance castle:
He is on his knees and reaches out to her but - oh - she cannot come down to take his hand. She has to stay locked up in the tower and weep softly in the moonlight for she knows that no marital consortium will ever be possible between them. And thus only the thought of a distant world remains, a world in which they may be united forever.... as ghosts.

I'm off for now. :D

I recommend a cold shower.
It is a lovely tune, though.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:51:27 PM »

He employs a 'bellows stop' a couple of times...it’s taught formally by PA tutors. It works the same on melodeons. It’s where you stop the bellows moving to silence a note(s), but importantly you keep the keys open, so you don’t cut off the note by shutting off the air (and you don’t get a clacking pallet).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal