Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Third stops  (Read 1614 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Third stops
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:25:49 PM »

Whilst I normally play with thirds switched out, occasionally I have the urge to switch them back in mid set (or mid tune !)which causes some difficulties - unless of course I stop playing right hand temporarily. I just have the standard push/pull stop (which on my boxes is down for thirds off) - I see the benefits of the handy buttons as on a Mory for example.
I just wondered if anyone had come up with a way to solve this problem - some kind of lever connection perhaps so that the stop can be worked with left hand...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Re: Third stops
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »

Whilst I normally play with thirds switched out, occasionally I have the urge to switch them back in mid set (or mid tune !)which causes some difficulties - unless of course I stop playing right hand temporarily. I just have the standard push/pull stop (which on my boxes is down for thirds off) - I see the benefits of the handy buttons as on a Mory for example.
I just wondered if anyone had come up with a way to solve this problem - some kind of lever connection perhaps so that the stop can be worked with left hand...

J

Chin? >:E
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

we are all specific in our likes and dislikes.
I'm a 'thirds in' person myself and only ever play a couple of tunes with them out, so I can stop and think about it first and pull the thirds out before hand. Though I have a pull stop for thirds such as you describe, I rarely use it.
That saying, I have often fancied a Mory type arrangement, to do thirds on the fly and also possibly of more interested to me, put in/out the low bass reed on the left hand.
I see the Castagnari 1914 has borrowed the Mory push button set up left hand setup.
Still it all adds complications and more things to think about....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »

If I want to pull/push a stop mid tune, I work out in advance whereabouts and work in a chord only break, giving time to push/pull. Or headbutt it, or grab with teeth...though make sure your dental work is secure or keep dental insurance up to date. BTW some PAs do actually have chin couplers.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »

;D
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »

Neither of my boxes has thirds at all (space is used for L+M basses), but I don't miss them at all.

You can always simply dab the note in on the right, eg the shift from Cm=>major in Caddick's "unicorns" is a matter of pressing E rather than Eb. Best of both worlds, and y'know I dont think anyone listening has ever noticed 🤔

Thirdlessness is also important when playing cross/ composite chords on the left. The trick is to choose  a base that has your chord as either its third, or minor third, and the 7th takes care of itself. Thirds IN can result in eg a #5 in the composited chord, a bit tense. Again best of both worlds, and no one notices the absent 5th 😉

Levers are fine, but … awkward to shift in the flow of play?

_       _    _      _ 

Julian S

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »

Good points Chris - thank you. Whilst I briefly had a box with levers and left hand buttons for switching in thirds etc I didn't find it particularly easy to use them.
Which reminds me to get round to taping off the thirds on my C/F box...which I might well need in the carol season...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »

Whilst I normally play with thirds switched out, occasionally I have the urge to switch them back in mid set...I just wondered if anyone had come up with a way to solve this problem - some kind of lever connection perhaps so that the stop can be worked with left hand...
J

Not everyone has a chin as well padded as yours Baz.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:58 AM »

Whilst I normally play with thirds switched out, occasionally I have the urge to switch them back in mid set...I just wondered if anyone had come up with a way to solve this problem - some kind of lever connection perhaps so that the stop can be worked with left hand...
J

Not everyone has a chin as well padded as yours Baz.
Shame I can't use other parts of my anatomy...
 :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »

A lot of registers/coupler systems, while principally seeming within reach, do seem to throw people off when they use them, at least based on videos I've watched - less so perhaps than actuating a stop rod, but, it still seems to be a compromising process. For the most accessable, back of keyboard and near-bass register switches, I've seen Paul Young and Saul Bailey change them while playing in some of their youtube videos, and while it does achieve a nice effect, it does seem pretty tough to nail perfectly. Any mechanism beyond a quick, easy to push/actuate button or lever seems like it would be too much.

I also find if I have need to do something while playing music, I can only perform actions in sync with where my brain tells me notes or bar ends will be, and adding additional, non music actions to that process is basically impossible. So eg if I want to adjust something while playing (eg I imagine push a coupler while pushing melody buttons with the same hand would count, but say strumming and adjusting a switch on the face of a guitar, too), I'll often overwrite the act of playing a note with the other task, so, instead of playing a melody note or strumming, I'd only change the coupler or a pickup setting instead, missing the note altogether.

This applies to saying words too, I've been improving my ability to communicate while playing but there are very strict rules on when I can say words while playing that I still don't fully understand. I've gotten to the point though that, when I discover my bass stops are out of position for what I'm playing, I've started asking friends if they can move them for me when they have a spare moment. It hasn't been very effective so far...

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »

A lot of registers/coupler systems, while principally seeming within reach, do seem to throw people off when they use them...I've started asking friends if they can move them for me when they have a spare moment. It hasn't been very effective so far...

Gena...

Since retiring, I'd be available for seasonal employment.  Probably more expensive than owning a dog or some cats, but cheaper than stabling a horse...and I've gotten used to being told to "shove it".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:15:25 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Julian S

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »

Don't worry, Gena - it took me at least twenty years to learn to talk and play at the same time !
And now when I can hold a basic conversation whilst playing my fellow musicians don't seem capable of responding in any sensible fashion. I wouldn't have thought a simple request to one of them to 'shove my bass stop down' would pose a problem - it's not as if they are doing anything complicated or important most of the time...😈

J

Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal