Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instrument mic(s)  (Read 5323 times)

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
Re: Instrument mic(s)
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »

I've found Microvox to be very well suited to my own particular requirements (ceilidh), and I've used the same 405 microphone/standard power unit for the last several hundred gigs over twelve years.  It's never failed to perform faultlessly and consistently.  I pay no more than reasonable attention to the care of the cable and sockets.  Although it's not a direct comparison, I've been struck by the comparative trauma (and expense)  that other band members have experienced over the same period, using (and often quickly discarding) other types and brands of advanced or sophisticated pickup and microphones systems on their instruments.   
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »

I asked Rachel at Microvox about the the simplicity of their products, specifically, why they don't put a buffer of some kind  in the output to isolate the apparatus from any phantom power it might be exposed to. This was her reply.

"Unfortunately, since the company founder died six years ago, we no longer have the expertise inhouse to make that modification.  I have a source who might be able to advise me on how practicable/economic that would be but he’s difficult to get hold of so I shan’t be able to do anything about it in a hurry."

So it seems these units are what they are and are likely to stay this way for the foreseeable.
This might not be a bad thing.

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »

Holy hell...it’s quite complicated innit? I used to be interested in all that tech stuff... but now I just want to plug it in and have it work...   :Ph
 I’ve just ordered a Thomann's t.bone cc 75..

Just one?
I already have a matched pair of stand mics and anyway it’s mostly the right hand that is useful (there are 6 of us), and I want to see how easily it can be attached etc...and I didn’t want to spend too much.

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »

The t-bone series are not, obviously, great mikes, but decent copies that can get the job done IMO. Here you have a similar (meaning : near identical to) system than the Beta clip-on mikes from Shure, which is easy enough to use.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »

I asked Rachel at Microvox about the the simplicity of their products, specifically, why they don't put a buffer of some kind  in the output to isolate the apparatus from any phantom power it might be exposed to. This was her reply.

"Unfortunately, since the company founder died six years ago, we no longer have the expertise inhouse to make that modification...
I knew Alan Hughes quite well.
Microvox should have made a box with an XLR connector on it. Maybe I should talk to them!

The straightforward practical solution is to put a DI box between the Microvox battery box and the mixer.
A cheap Passive DI should do the job, not only isolating your from phantom power but giving you a proper balanced line. Then all you need is a standard XLR mic cable.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »

PS I've just looked at the Microvox site, and they sell a Behringer DI box for this very purpose. More expensive than my suggestion but at least you know they've tested it (I hope!)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »

"Unfortunately, since the company founder died six years ago, we no longer have the expertise inhouse to make that modification...
I knew Alan Hughes quite well.
Microvox should have made a box with an XLR connector on it. Maybe I should talk to them!

The straightforward practical solution is to put a DI box between the Microvox battery box and the mixer.
A cheap Passive DI should do the job, not only isolating your from phantom power but giving you a proper balanced line. Then all you need is a standard XLR mic cable.

Maybe your the tech savvy person Rachel has in mind (:)

Your right about the DI box. This is what Microvox say about it.

http://www.microvox.co.uk/dibox.htm

[Cross posted again. Oh well

and I've used the Behringer DI box and it works fine].
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:45:01 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »

I failed to mention that my long-serving Microvox has enjoyed the protection of a passive DI box for all its long working life - just as Anahata recommends.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal