Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleur de Mandragore  (Read 1312 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Fleur de Mandragore
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »

Our ceili in Montreal was nearly cancelled last night because of the weather forecast for freezing rain, which can make driving (and walking on pavements) very dangerous. In the end we went ahead, expecting nobody much to turn up because of the conditions.

In fact the rain didn't freeze, to our surprise _loads_ of people showed up, and it turned out to be a memorable night. One of the dancers was invited to call a "set carré" for which we pulled out a few québécois tunes. Thought you might enjoy the last few minutes of the 11-minute set featuring a popular tune hereabouts, Michel Bordeleau's Fleur de Mandragore.

https://soundcloud.com/jonesbach/2018-11-24-mandragore-set-end

The whoops you can hear accompany the traditional "refoulades" you get at the close of most québécois sets. There is also a very nice tradition of the band continuing to play once through the tune after the dance has ended, giving the dancers a chance to show their appreciation for the music.

(sorry about the distortion: recorder was on the floor of the stage and the peaks are through the roof, and the balance is a bit off compared with the front of house sound)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Fleur de Mandragore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »

Word of caution to anyone clicking on this link on a Sunday at midnight: Turn down your volume first. Then click. Thank me later. :D

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 01:37:26 AM »

Based on the response, I appear to have misjudged the potential interest of this item! No doubt blinded by my own enthusiasm for what was a night of rare fun.  :(

I suppose the clip is just too loud and boisterous (even my wife has since said she prefers her white-noise generator). But I had thought there was some interest in québécois tunes among members, and thought that you might like to hear the atmosphere a good caller of sets carrés can generate with a ready crowd and a band pulling (IMHO) nicely together.

Well, my apologies and, as they say around here, « j'vais me coucher moins niaiseux à soir » ... (+/- I'll go to bed having learned something)  :|glug

Lyra

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 05:31:20 AM »

Well, I enjoyed it, as clearly did the assembled groundlings.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »

I can imagine the atmosphere was quite something. I've always liked Quebecois music - the only thing which I don't really like is the percussion -obviously my opinion only but often I think bands (and some dance sides!) would sound better without it. Others might well disagree...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »

I agree Julian!  Though I also think that a very good percussionist can be a joyful addition to a ceilidh band,  but they are very rare.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »

Well the news must've taken a while to travel downunder, but it sounds like you had a great night of dancing there in wintery Montreal.
I love the sound of lively Quebecois tunes played on the one row box (and BTW I'd be happy to have a drummer like that playing in my ceili band anytime).

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »

I enjoyed it...but then, I play in a loud and boisterous band with a drummer... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »

I love this. Great music and great fun. That's one appreciative audience.
You're fiddle players got what it takes, as well.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 01:54:12 PM »

Thanks for recording and sharing. Captures the excitement of a Quebecois dance.

Grape Ape

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »

I liked it as well! I was fine with the drummer but then I played drums for many years before picking up the box.  Very energetic performance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal