Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two thumbs up!  (Read 1431 times)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
Two thumbs up!
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »

Two out of three Finnish box players use their thumbs for the accidentals.

https://youtu.be/LknzEyUv_FA
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

arty

Re: Two thumbs up!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »

That is quite normal, very easy and comfortable to do. You would probably struggle if you were used to ‘the Morris grip’ though. Using the thumb is necessary for the smooth playing of many Stéphane Delicq tunes, for example.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »

Nice tune. Thanks.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:44:42 PM »

That is quite normal, very easy and comfortable to do. You would probably struggle if you were used to ‘the Morris grip’ though. Using the thumb is necessary for the smooth playing of many Stéphane Delicq tunes, for example.

I'm tempted to expand and perhaps contravene the bounds of propriety by posting an old joke, but I'll limit myself to the punch line:

"Well, I rang the doorbell, didn't I?"
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

arty

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »

;)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

george garside

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »

I always use my thumb for the chin end accidentals for the simple reason that the thumb is designed to articulate sideways to a far greater degree than are fingers.  I always use two straps as do the Finnish players in the video.  I don't think it would work with one strap unless perhaps playing seated with the keybord wedged against the inside of the right leg

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »

I use my first finger for the accidentals.
I find if I take my thumb off the edge of the keyboard, I loose stability of the keyboard. Also the thumb is for me a reference point so then I'm 'lost' on positioning on the keyboard.
But we're all different!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »

I find the thumb essential on 2 row 4th button start instruments. Less so on 3rd button ones.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »

I've got small hands and 4th button starts on my boxes and my first finger gets there quite easily.
I suspect it's down to practice and what you start off doing, i.e. starting with your thumb or your first finger when first trying to access the accidentals, then embedding that practice.
Bear in mind a friend of mine, been playing for ~ 40+ years, has never used the top two buttons!
The tunes he plays have never required him to go there ....
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »

I've got small hands and 4th button starts on my boxes and my first finger gets there quite easily.
I suspect it's down to practice and what you start off doing, i.e. starting with your thumb or your first finger when first trying to access the accidentals, then embedding that practice.
Bear in mind a friend of mine, been playing for ~ 40+ years, has never used the top two buttons!
The tunes he plays have never required him to go there ....
Q

tbh, though I don't use my thumb because I can't not use it, it's because it allows my fingers to move more freely when playing something like the C part of horse's brawl  fast (mind you, we do play slightly differently to most:
_BAG2 BAG2| instead of _B2AG B2AG|).

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal