Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ain't music great!  (Read 3813 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Ain't music great!
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »

Looking closely I reckon the 'concertina' is a Franglo which is basically a concertina shaped single voice melodeon.

Watch out for the concertina solo
, great stuff this!

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 03:39:33 AM »

Looking closely I reckon the 'concertina' is a Franglo which is basically a concertina shaped single voice melodeon.Watch out for the concertina solo, great stuff this!

I assumed it was a duet, but what do I know. But whatever the system, yes the playing is splendidly effective.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »

If you look carefully the right hand end has an anglo hand strap and an EC thumb loop whereas the left hand end only has a hand strap which is the same as the Franglos played (and designed I believe) by Emmanuel Pariselle. The button layout is fanned out like an anglo but there again so is the Hayden duet although I doubt that it's one of those.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Ellisteph

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »

If you look carefully the right hand end has an anglo hand strap and an EC thumb loop whereas the left hand end only has a hand strap which is the same as the Franglos played (and designed I believe) by Emmanuel Pariselle. The button layout is fanned out like an anglo but there again so is the Hayden duet although I doubt that it's one of those.
A post from Thoon back in October mentions that he plays a duet concertina; maybe he'll be along to clarify before too long.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »

I’ve met Thoon and can confirm it’s a Franglo, made by Colin and Rosalie Dipper inspired by an idea by Emmanuel Pariselle.  They all know each other very well.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »

I've used this clip with all my high school classes to comment on some elements of music. It's been universal in its positive reception. I normally pair it with another clip of a much more sultry delivery to show the impact on the music of choices of voice, timbre, tempo etc. I'll be using it for years.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

AirTime

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 01:55:59 AM »

I've used this clip with all my high school classes to comment on some elements of music. It's been universal in its positive reception. I normally pair it with another clip of a much more sultry delivery to show the impact on the music of choices of voice, timbre, tempo etc. I'll be using it for years.

Which one? This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCzL98Chf6s

You've gotta love the idiosyncratic phrasing & kool delivery.   8)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

playandteach

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »

No, I meant another version of Bis mir bist do Schoen. But I think these guys are great.

Spectacled Warbler

• Good talker
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »

A recent thread over on the dark side.....

https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/20758-my-baby-just-cares-for-me/

Joy

That is terrific, when that kid develops a bit more stability and range, and if she perseveres she will, she’ll be able to give Ella Fitzgerald a good run.  Never mind Nina Simone.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »

By contrast, the grown up version. I suspect the young girl in OP will soon be performing like this young lady.
https://youtu.be/f6YCQbwshmI

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »

By contrast, the grown up version. I suspect the young girl in OP will soon be performing like this young lady.

Reluctant as I am to admit it (I am not normally an admirer of the Jazz category of music, but I like both of these)  I feel the younger lady already has a slight edge on the older lady.   Not sure what the label is to hang on it. Engagement? Personality? Character? Musical sensibility?  She's got it all. 
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 09:11:58 AM »

I feel the younger lady already has a slight edge on the older lady.

I thought so too. Far more of a twinkle in her eye!
Whether she'll still be able to do that with the same charm when she's 20 remains to be seen, but she should have plenty of performing experience behind her by then.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »

I think she’ll be better.  The older girl is good, but the younger one has the potential to be great.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »

Or she could turn out like lots of teenagers including my own. Talent and musicality in spades, no lack of encouragement or opportunity... and then they give up.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »

Stiamh: A similar experience here.
Sigh .... But they are their own people and have to make their own decisions no matter how frustrating it is to their parents.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »

Stiamh: A similar experience here.
Sigh .... But they are their own people and have to make their own decisions no matter how frustrating it is to their parents.
+1
Bucket loads of ability, interests lie elsewhere. Enjoyed the ride. She has a beautiful instrument and might realise later that music is as important as dance. She can sing better than I can, she has better ears than me, but she wants to follow a different path.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal