Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HA-114 Case  (Read 1405 times)

groves

HA-114 Case
« on: November 30, 2018, 03:44:40 AM »

I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations for a HA-114 case? I'd be fine with either soft or hard shell, but I will be traveling with it on airplanes a bit so I was thinking a hard shell might be best. I should also mention I live in Canada, so ideally something I could purchase from Canada or the US.

Does anyone know if the Hohner 10x case fits the HA-114 (with the stops)? I think it fits a 1040.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:47:13 AM by groves »

mselic

Re: HA-114 Case
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 04:30:57 AM »

Yes, a HA114 will fit in a Hohner 10x case.  I usually carry mine around in the Hohner gig bag designed to fit the Erica.  I used to fit *two* HA114s in an Ikea bike bag - sometimes you have to repurpose other cases to find the best fit for something like a 4-stop.

Regarding flying, however, don't even think about putting your accordion through as checked baggage - not even a bomb-proof case will help you there. Bring it on as carry-on and stow it either above or below your seat.  Air Canada will let you do this, and I've done it every time I've flown with a box.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:34:29 AM by mselic »
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »

Cheapskate that I am; I just use a trolley type carry-on case (50x35x22cm) for my 114 when flying, along with my CPAP machine (in the proper bag) and a laptop in a soft shell type cover. I pack some soft stuff, socks and the like, to protect the open pallets as I don't have a grille for it.
I've been doing this 12 or 18 times a year for quite some time, with no problems at all. (Mind you, I've learned to play National Anthems, to the delight of the security officers when they ask me to open the case with a "Wot theece?"!)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

Flying Baltic into Copenhagen I watched a burly handler toss suitcases a good 3m from belt into the service trolleys He didn't miss a single one, but melodeons are not up to this sort of stress

Flying the dreaded Ryanair out of Liverpool I watched handlers swing baggage out of a trolley onto a …1.5m high belt which took them up into the hold where someone else packed them in. One in 20 pr so bags hit the belt, bounced and fell 1.5m onto concrete on the other side.

Never, EVER put your instrument into checked baggage. 😥
  _       _    _      _ 

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »

Flying Baltic into Copenhagen I watched a burly handler toss suitcases a good 3m from belt into the service trolleys He didn't miss a single one, but melodeons are not up to this sort of stress

Flying the dreaded Ryanair out of Liverpool I watched handlers swing baggage out of a trolley onto a …1.5m high belt which took them up into the hold where someone else packed them in. One in 20 pr so bags hit the belt, bounced and fell 1.5m onto concrete on the other side.

As far back as I can remember they were called baggage "smashers", not "handlers".
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

groves

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! That sounds interesting, I might look into the Hohner Erica gig bag. If it has some extra room I might be able to store some of my tin whistles in there too.

Yes, I don't plan on putting it through as checked baggage – I've watched too many instruments fall off the conveyor belt as they were being loaded into the plane. I try to avoid flying with my guitar anymore for that reason.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »

Saw exactly the same thing happen recently with Ryanair in Mallorca not one but five missed the belt entirely. Thank God I didn’t have a bottle or two in the case. Anyway it wasn’t my luggage . Ha!
 On returning from Tasmania last year with Cathay Pacific. I had The Hohner that Roger T has just restored. At the check in I said this is a delicate instrument but I need to check it in. It was covered in warning stickers and at bagage collect at Heathrow it was there with a human being attached to it and given to me personally. Couldn’t fault that and all at no extra charge.

Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »

I thought that the baggage handlers were employed by the airport, not the airline.

mselic

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! That sounds interesting, I might look into the Hohner Erica gig bag. If it has some extra room I might be able to store some of my tin whistles in there too.

You should have room for a few tin whistles in the Erica gig bag. I only wish it had better padding.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »

I thought that the baggage handlers were employed by the airport, not the airline.

Not the airport even, but a “service company”. The one I see most often is Swissport, but there are others.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 09:03:32 PM »

Sorry, I know this. What I should have said was that the baggage handling companies were employed by the airport, and sold to the airlines as part of the service/landing/take off fees which the airlines initially cough up and then pass on to us.

Well spotted Theo.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »

I’ve had rather too much dealing with baggage handling “services” recently.  Travelling to Belgium to tune the products of one of Emmanuel’s building courses my luggage arrive 5 days after I did.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal