Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lever bending tools  (Read 2314 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Lever bending tools
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »

I’ve got a few lever bending tools but I want to make some more. The slots on the ones I have aren’t always the right depth and or width. Any tips for materials/technique for machining a slot in steel...or other ideas on making benders? I don’t have a milling machine...so is it hacksaw and file? Or some drill attachment?

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Lever bending tools
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »

I came across some fairly woodscrews (for decking possibly?) in one of my old sweetie tins. Hammered the end flat, filed off the few threads, drilled a hole through of the right size and then hacksawed into the hole from one side. After a bit of cleaning up with a small file, I was then able to bend it to get the leverage I wanted. I've made one or two which serve me well.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »

I use silver steel bar (a widely available too steel). I make the slot using needle files.  The material comes in a semi-hard condition that will cut with hacksaw and file.    I should really have hardened them, but they have lasted several years without.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »

I use a thin disc in an angle grinder.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »

Hi Roger, what's old NCB sat on and bent then ?  :o
Without a lathe or mill, slitting saws are out of the question 'handheld' but hacksaw is OK as are jewellers piercing saws for smaller slots. Old pc printers can yield very nice round or square barstock for nothing and the thin slitting discs Rees mentions can be used on a small bench grinder or a clamped angle grinder very effectively.

While there are not many on today, searching for GPO tool or strowger tool can yield ebay hits, some at a price that makes DIY senseless but mainly inspiring ideas for designs or shapes that you can then mimic - make them in pairs - see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Post-Office-PO-Tools-Engineering-As-Photo/162013954819?hash=item25b8c8c303:g:QwkAAOSwwpdW8BOL:rk:8:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-GPO-Tools-x2-Other/163418119385?hash=item260c7a9cd9:g:9iYAAOSwD1pcAvtV:rk:5:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-GPO-Adjusting-Tool-for-Relays-1947-I-N-T-2-P-E-C/153269307949?hash=item23af900a2d:g:PNYAAOSwikpb5Zkl:rk:32:pf:0

I'm fortunate in having a nice selection from Dad, who was in the private phone, tannoy & masterclock sector
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 04:05:03 PM »

It would be nice to see some images of the homemade tools that people are making.

Rog

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »

Thanks for all the v useful suggestions!
I have these ones..but they aren’t that great.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4kpF5WUC7CrVGhmXA

But if you open this page and search for 'making treble keyboard bending tools' you’ll see some great pix of the sort of thing I want. A decent pair of bending tools can really take the heat out of sorting a ruined keyboard.

http://accordionrevival.com/ACCORDION_REPAIR1.php

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 11:26:06 PM »

if you open this page and search for 'making treble keyboard bending tools' you’ll see some great pix of the sort of thing I want. A decent pair of bending tools can really take the heat out of sorting a ruined keyboard.

http://accordionrevival.com/ACCORDION_REPAIR1.php
I just looked at the aove link. All the tools pictured there can quickly and easily be made with a hacksaw and/or small files. Sharp tools and a vise would make this a satisfying, simple project for someone used to working with hand tools, based on my own experiences.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Rog

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 07:18:26 AM »

While there are not many on today, searching for GPO tool or strowger tool can yield ebay hits, some at a price that makes DIY senseless but mainly inspiring ideas for designs or shapes that you can then mimic - make them in pairs - see [/quote]
This is great. Thanks.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

Where I've needed a bender more blacksmith than watchmaker size using those with pins inserted into strip or bar have been very simple to make - this is where unhardened silver steel (drill rod to our US contingent) as mentioned by Theo comes into its own, I tend to use Loctite retainer or studlock to hold the pins in rather than riveting or soldering / brazing.
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Rog

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »

How does one harden silver steel?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 07:02:31 PM »

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Rog

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 05:46:23 AM »

My experience of working steel is with mild steel, which apparently (according to my extensive research...er...Google search) is 'softer' than silver steel (LOL...soft steel...LOL), which presumably makes it 'easier' to work. It'll certainly be plenty strong enough for basic bending tools.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »

Yes mild steel is soft and can’t be hardened by heat treatment.  I think you will find that it bends too easily,  or you have to make the tools of inconveniently thick sections.
The clue is in the generic description “tool steel”
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Rog

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »

I was traumatised by several weeks on the 'fitting' part of Engineering school, which was essentially making things, like a G clamp (I still have it) from blocks of steel, the only tools allowed were files, hacksaw and a drill (there might have been a shaping m/c as well...dangerous blimmin thing). It was everyone's least favourite time (at least 6 weeks of it). I came away with excellent filing skills...but we worked mild steel so the thought of working something harder makes me shudder ...brrr..

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »

Its not as hard as reed steel!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Rog

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »

This is true. And it has occurred to me many times that our files were probably as blunt as hell. The instructors no doubt thought it character building...(:)...the discipline was more British Army than school teacher (am I hurting you son? No sir. I ought to be, I’m standing on yer 'air...get it cut...or wear a hair net).

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »

While browsing I found this excellent wire bending tool. I can see all sorts of melodeon applications for it.

SJ

http://www.ncsl.co.uk/wirebender/
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »

While browsing I found this excellent wire bending tool. I can see all sorts of melodeon applications for it.

SJ

Looks perfect for making replacement springs, among other things.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »

SJ

Looks perfect for making replacement springs, among other things.

On second thoughts, having watched the "how-to" video, it would be a bit heavy-duty for our needs. A similar tool on a smaller scale would be excellent,though.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal