Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Education through music  (Read 961 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Education through music
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »

In a previous life I was an orchestral clarinettist. As part of my many years in the Philharmonia I used to do outreach work, in a wide variety of settings. My lovely wife who puts up with my clumsy melodeon playing at home has just BOOKED DAVE GRAY! for a year to work with her class of kids with serious additional needs. She's at the Priory School, Hexham. I've also spent time volunteering at her school, and know that Dave will do a great job with lovely kids. And the hard pressed money will be well spent.
So, in light of that: I know the melodeon is a great instrument to carry around a group, and to sing to - and even to get kids to play.
Here's my request:
Does anybody in the north east have an instrument or two of any description (accordion, guitar, drum,bell) that they could add to the party. I can't guarantee that it will escape scars. You can rely on the best possible attention, but some of these kids can't control their limbs in the same way we can. I am also lending instruments such as hand bells, and guitars, whistles. chimes and hand drums.
Please donate dead instruments that only work occasionally, or lend instruments that need overhauling anyway.
I can't begin to tell you the depth of need here. As I teach at the linked high school, I can tell you that no instrument would be put to better use. I am so glad that she's tapped into Dave Gray, and I hope to support them in any way I can.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Education through music
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:36:37 AM »

P&T: This is such a great idea.
My wife used to assess kids with a whole variety of needs as part of an assessment unit attached to a primary school. As a family we have absorbed her awareness of such necessary work and I wish you and your wife every success in the venture.
Good luck with it.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal